Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Unusual behavior in my dog (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64449)

Aiony July 27th, 2009 09:52 PM

Unusual behavior in my dog

I hope this is the right spot.

My dog has not really eaten anything in the last week and a half. She eats when I give her something like a piece of chicken, but she won't touch her hard dog food.

She's also having difficulty going to the bathroom. She pees ok, but she's having difficulty with her stools. Not much is coming out and she's having difficulty when she goes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for home treatments? If it is something that is blocking her intestines, there's not much the vet can do except give her something to flush them out correct? I can do that with olive oil and making sure she has fresh water at all times correct? Is there anything else?

Dr Lee July 27th, 2009 11:24 PM

[QUOTE=Aiony;807195]She eats when I give her something like a piece of chicken, but she won't touch her hard dog food.

She's also having difficulty going to the bathroom...

... there's not much the vet can do except give her something to flush them out correct? I can do that with olive oil and making sure she has fresh water at all times correct? Is there anything else?[/QUOTE]

While I don't know the diagnosis it does sound like there might be some gastroenteritis - inflammation of the stomach and small intestines can lead to some inappetance and inflammation of the colon can lead to some straining to defecate.

I would recommend a visit to the veterinarian. Some home remedies can be difficult without knowing a little more of what is going on. Olive oil may not hurt in some cases but if inflammation of the pancreas is present then olive oil could make things worse. I would not recommend this at this time.

If you want a home treatment, I would contact your vet and describe the case a little more - she or he might recommend some over the counter pepcid to help out.

Hope this helps and good luck. :pawprint:

Aiony July 28th, 2009 08:13 AM

Thanks Dr. Lee. I'll go by my vet's this morning.

I've tried taking her on a walk because she usually tries to go by the end of the street and she didn't even try. She's lost so much weight that I'm starting to get really concerned. She's not throwing up and doesn't have any difficulty urinating.

Dr Lee July 28th, 2009 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=Aiony;807323]\She's lost so much weight that I'm starting to get really concerned. She's not throwing up and doesn't have any difficulty urinating.[/QUOTE]

The weight loss is concerning. With her being able to eat (albiet only a little) and drink, and not vomit, an intestinal blockage would not be high on my list of concerns. Let me know how else we can help.

rainbow July 28th, 2009 02:17 PM

[B]Aiony,[/B] it does sound like a blockage ....good luck at the vet today and keep us posted.

Aiony July 30th, 2009 11:20 AM

My dog apparently had a uterine infection. My vet gave me some antibiotics and I went to get some softer food to tempt her appetite with. I have to get her spayed before she goes in heat again.

Thanks again!

bendyfoot July 30th, 2009 12:20 PM

Um, like, pyometra? Isn't that a dangerous situation to leave untreated by surgery?

Dr Lee July 30th, 2009 11:06 PM

You are right bendyfoot, pyometra is a condition that must be surgically addressed; and with alacrity.

bendyfoot July 31st, 2009 07:00 AM

[QUOTE=Dr Lee;808416]You are right bendyfoot, pyometra is a condition that must be surgically addressed; and with [B]alacrity[/B].[/QUOTE]

I had to look that one up.

But yeah, with alacrity!