Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   St bernard pups Cherry eye operation (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66539)

zoohotel November 1st, 2009 05:35 PM

St bernard pups Cherry eye operation

Hi all

Roxie my 4 month old St bernard is due to have an op on her eye in the morning.. She had the prolapse 3 days ago. On further reading and trying to find out about the condition i found 2 surgical options

Completely remove 3rd eye lid or sew it back in place..

does anyone know the sucess percentages of the correction involving sewing it back in place? I read if it is removed it can cause dry eye and she may needs drops for life.
thanks
Lesley and Roxie

Choochi November 1st, 2009 08:21 PM

It is very highly recommended you do not go with the full removal. I consulted with a veterinary optimologist and he said this was an antiquated solution to this problem and should only be considered in the event multiple tucks have not fixed the problem. He said that the risks associated with the lack of that third eye lid far outweigh the benefits. At that point you're better off just leaving the cherry eye as it is mostly cosmetic and your dog is actually safer off like that (provided you clean the eye regularly) then with the removal which as you mentioned can lead to dry eye even loss of vision.

We did a regular tuck with our 1yr old mastiff and based on the records that came with him he's had the condition since he was about 4 months old. Every thing seemed fine at first but after about 1 week we noticed that the eyelid looked like it was untucking, a small red bubble was starting to form through the tissue. The vet did a second surgery with a modified method where they tuck and suture the tissue in place and this was over a year ago and we have had no issues since. The tissue under that eye does look a little bubbly or bulky but it has stayed tucked.

Good luck! Let me know how it turns out.

zoohotel November 2nd, 2009 03:02 AM

Thanks for replying,

I am about to leave for the surgery now. I will ask for it to be tucked. I thought that was the best option but its good to speak to people with experience that have had this. I will let you lnow how she gets on.
Many thanks
Lesley

zoohotel November 2nd, 2009 08:32 AM

I have just collected Roxy she had her op this morning..

It turned out that she had prolapsed gland of the third eyelid as well as
eversion of the cartilage of the third eyelid.

She has had the tuck and pin op and they have cut out and smoothed out the cartilidge that was uneven causing it to pop. She has her 3rd eye lid sewn over at the moment to help the healing process so cant see anything out of her right eye until next Fri when the stiches come out.

A saint pup with a lamp shade collar should prove interesting!! bless her

Thanks for the advise ill let you know how she goes, just hope it works.

Lesley

zoohotel November 8th, 2009 11:40 AM

Hello again

Roxy is now home and has had her stiches romoved, She still has a bloodshot eye but its all holding so far! she had to be knocked out again to have the stitches removed as they couldnt hold her down.

A buster collar proved interesting this week but we got there in the end.

thanks for all your postings.

lesley and Rox x

pbpatti November 8th, 2009 02:40 PM

So glad to hear that Roxy is on the mend. :fingerscr for no more eye troubles.

Dee-O-Gee November 8th, 2009 10:32 PM

Oh I like happy endings. Glad to hear Roxy is recovering well. :thumbs up

zoohotel December 3rd, 2009 12:23 PM

Thanks for the messages guys, 2 weeks after the stiches came out the second eye prolapsed! 2nd op now all complete and she is back to full health.
Mind u keeping a 5 month old bernard quiet with a giant lampshade has proved fun!!

thanks all
Lesley and Roxie x