Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes for humans (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Recipe ... for a broken fridge?! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78721)

Rose_ September 21st, 2011 01:57 PM

Recipe ... for a broken fridge?!

This really isn't the right forum for this, but it's kitchen related so I'm hoping it'll fit somehow :thumbs up.

I often throw the ball for the dog into the kitchen where she chases after it likes it's a squirrel and then brings it back. The other night I heard this horrible crack as she went in there and ran to find her standing there, totally normal. Everything looked to be in place and I was baffled by where it came from.

I found out last night, when I went to put some mac and cheese in the oven. She must have hit the warm oven door so hard that it cracked, all down the side.

Now I'm wondering what exactly I should do! Is it okay to cook in there even with the crack or will that make it worse?! I really, really, reallllly don't want to have to bring in someone to fix it.

Aaaaand go!

ohyasayswho September 21st, 2011 02:11 PM

sorry, can't help you with your oven door however I wanted to thank you for my visual. I imagined witnessing this and broke out laughing. My version took on a almost cartoon like appearance. I walk in the kitchen to check what the noise was, the dogs looks up at me and says with a Bart Simpson like response, "I didn't do it", while stars circle he's head.

Dog Dancer September 21st, 2011 03:16 PM

Well Rose, if the oven door is cracked I don't suppose it's a huge danger as such (assuming you're not talking microwave oven). I would think, and I could be totally wrong here, that at most you may lose a fair amount of heat from the oven. Your food may take longer to cook, and your kitchen will get warmer. Again, I'm not a repairman though. Have you tried to call a repair shop that carries your brand and ask? My oven door comes off, so perhaps you could just order a new door and put it on yourself. Glad the dog's okay though.

hazelrunpack September 21st, 2011 04:00 PM

You can order oven doors and they're easy enough to replace that even I can do it. :D That means it's really simple! My mechanical abilities are seriously lacking! :laughing:

Is the crack in the door itself or in a window in the door?

Rose_ September 22nd, 2011 01:18 PM

Hahah it was definitely a funny site! It's only cracked on the exterior plate of glass, not the interior so I'm thinking it will be okay.:thumbs up

I did look into ordering though but I'm not much of an online shopper. I checked Amazon and this site [URL="http://www.partselect.com"]PartSelect.com[/URL] and found the glass, but I'm just going to wait a bit before I order.

Anyone have any experience with either?

Rose_ September 22nd, 2011 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1024807]You can order oven doors and they're easy enough to replace that even I can do it. :D That means it's really simple! My mechanical abilities are seriously lacking! :laughing:

Is the crack in the door itself or in a window in the door?[/QUOTE]

It's the window in the door!

Rose_ September 22nd, 2011 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1024801] Glad the dog's okay though.[/QUOTE]

She was totally unfazed by the whole thing! I'm glad she's okay too. That will be the last time I throw balls into the kitchen.

hazelrunpack September 22nd, 2011 03:09 PM

Not sure how hard it is to replace just the glass, but the whole door is a cinch. :o (pls don't ask how I know :laughing:)

Melinda September 22nd, 2011 03:16 PM

if its cracked right through and you use it , you could run the risk of it cracking more or exploding...

Rose_ September 23rd, 2011 07:33 AM

I meant to say I found the door online, not the glass! Mixed up my words.

Luckily, I'm not much of a chef haha so I haven't had to use it since. I'm thinking I will go ahead an replace it though, just for the peace of mind.

Thanks for your help everybody, I really appreciate it.