Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions & Improvements (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Opinions! - 'freecycle' on pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59698)

JennieV January 7th, 2009 09:45 PM

Opinions! - 'freecycle' on pets.ca

I had a :lightbulb: : that maybe people on pets.ca would benefit from having sort of a message board, where they can offer items they don't need or want and be able to sell for a nominal amount or give away to those who want them.
Items could be pet or non-pet related, the poster will just have to specify that in the name of the thread. Also, would be good to post "WANTED" items, since people may not realize that someone else wants or needs certain items until they see a post about it.:D
I would greatly appreciate if you could post your thoughts about the idea and any other suggestions related to this. :)

So far, the following suggestions have been mentioned :thankyou::
1. Only regular members would be able to post, since we do NOT want a flood of random people coming in just for that and creating a chaos.
2. ABSOLUTELY NO ANIMALS TO BE SOLD OR GIVEN! Only items allowed!

So I am asking for your :2cents:! :p

Thank you in advance, everyone! :grouphug:

Diamondsmum January 7th, 2009 10:11 PM

jennie I am in total agreeance on this.

I have one for the forum where I am an admin on & it works great plus gives a chance to meet members from your area. :thumbs up

the gang January 7th, 2009 10:31 PM

thats a super idea:lightbulb:, brenda and the pins..

Masha January 7th, 2009 10:32 PM

I think this is a great idea!

14+kitties January 7th, 2009 10:41 PM

Great idea. Only problem I can see is....... what constitutes a "regular" member? Would there be a cut off, certain number of threads before you could contribute/be a part of the message board? Like, you have to have at least 100 posts and be an active member; as in you have posted something in the last week? Or you have to have so many posts a week in order to be considered a regular? That to me is something that I see may cause problems. We have a lot of "regular" members that come in and lurk without signing in. They don't post all the time but they are here a lot. LOL Obviously I can be left out of that. :rolleyes:

Diamondsmum January 7th, 2009 10:47 PM

14+ I think jennie means have a cetain amount of posts. not a new member just like the pictures or pming someone. (You need to have a certain number to be able to PM)

luckypenny January 8th, 2009 12:29 AM

Personally, I like the 'Freecycle' approach :o.

I guess it would be a good idea if it was pet supplies such as training books, collars, Haltis, crates, etc. I don't know about other household stuff...there are so many online buy/sell sites as it is :shrug:. Perhaps if we made it pet specific so it would be keeping in line with [I]this[/I] site?

Bu then we might get members who'll only post the minimum in order to self-promote :shrug:?

rainbow January 8th, 2009 12:39 AM

I agree and think it should only be pet related items and only open to members of pets.ca .....it would end up like Kijiji otherwise. :rolleyes:

marko January 8th, 2009 09:37 AM

HMMM an interesting idea, but how do we differentiate between the odd collar or 2 and someone buying a pile of stuff on ebay and trying to sell it?

Thx
Marko

Mat&Murph January 8th, 2009 09:42 AM

I think it might be worth a try. But I agree there would have to be a limited number of posts for a member to post a wanted or giveaway ad.

JennieV January 8th, 2009 10:19 AM

Well, I think if someone would try to sell a bunch of stuff ebay-style we would notice that, no? I guess that would be dealt with along the lines of flooding or trolling...That can all be outlined in the rules of the forum.

What I was suggesting was also along the lines of freecycle (thanks LP! I forgot what that was called! LOL) more than sales, however, if for example I want to give my 30 gal aquarium, fully loaded etc - thats quite an expensive item, and I thought it would be nice to be able to sell it for nomnal amount, so someone who is interested, would get it...say for $50, rather than $300? That sort of selling.

I don't know how we would limit the access for people, but I think it should definitely be an active member with no less than 80-100 posts. Or someone who has been with pets.ca for a very long time and signs in regularly, I dunno, but I think its worth looking into. this way, junior members with like 10 posts won't be able to post, but should be able to pm? :confused:

The reason I originally thought of this is because I have a bunch of items that are of not much use to me, but someone could benefit from them greatly, and I thought I would have preferred giving it to someone I "know" from pets.ca, rather than some random dude on kijiji or ebay or whatever. :shrug: JMO

Diamondsmum January 8th, 2009 10:31 AM

what about A donation to somewhere eg OSPCA or rescue of your choosing in lieu of said "payment"?

For example Jennie that aquarium (eg) list it & as the amount a Donation to a rescue which you list in lieu of $$? say a minimum of 50$

(My sis did a donation type for her wedding) instead of presents. Both got a receipt kinda acknowledging that a donation was made.

Stacer January 8th, 2009 10:55 AM

I think it's a good idea as well. I have many items that I've bought, especially for Skylar, that either never get used or seemed like a good idea and didn't work out (various harnesses etc...).

JennieV January 8th, 2009 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=Stacer;727713]I think it's a good idea as well. I have many items that I've bought, especially for Skylar, that either never get used or seemed like a good idea and didn't work out (various harnesses etc...).[/QUOTE]

Thats EXACTLY why I thought of this..

mastifflover January 9th, 2009 04:49 PM

I think we should give it a try. Most definitely members only and with a history of posting not just able to sign up to post

marko January 11th, 2009 11:06 AM

A lot of good points here - Let me discuss this with the other Admin, Dave and I'll get back to y'all tomorrow on this one.

Thx as always!
M

Khari January 11th, 2009 11:34 AM

I think this is a GREAT idea. I would lean more towards the freecycle approach. This way instead of the unused products ending up in the landfill they are being "Recycled". This way people that can not afford much for their pets will have the oppurtunity to get them more :D I am for pet products only but would also like ALL products available. I definately would like to recommend the NO PETS FOR SALE or NO PETS FOR FREE posts policy as mentioned above....I am looking forward to see this going ahead :thumbs up

marko January 12th, 2009 03:28 PM

This looks to be like a good idea all around. How about taking the freecycle approach with the following rules

1 - No pets of any kind can be listed
2 - Members need 50+ posts to post
3 - All items should be free
4- At first I was thinking only pet items, but if it's free...any item?

what do y'all think about these preliminary guidelines?

many thanks to JennieV for the suggestion:highfive:

(NB - I've re-opened the poll for another 10 days)

marko

breeze January 12th, 2009 04:10 PM

can I ask about postage/shipping?? if the person does not live near the person giving something for free..

marko January 12th, 2009 04:17 PM

Seems fair that the 'getter' pays for shipping....

breeze January 12th, 2009 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=marko;730761]Seems fair that the 'getter' pays for shipping....[/QUOTE]

:thumbs up:thumbs up

and the details will be worked out with the "sender" and the "getter"

bendyfoot January 12th, 2009 04:23 PM

I'm liking it!!!

Stacer January 12th, 2009 04:37 PM

definitely sounds good!

Mat&Murph January 12th, 2009 04:43 PM

Sounds great!!!

Diamondsmum January 12th, 2009 05:02 PM

Yup i agree :)

Sounds like a plan marko :) Great job JennieV

Melanie1010 January 12th, 2009 05:12 PM

I think this is an awesome idea!! I have ads up right now looking for a crate for Nitro and you should see the replies I am getting :wall::wall:... I clearly posted the dimensions and that it needs to be a wire crate and I am getting replies for leashes, collars, beds, airline crates.. OYE!

It be great to have a place were you can post things you need/looking to give to someone who can use them!! (and actually know what you are getting/sending to them!)

Great Idea All Around!!! :thumbs up

Melinda January 12th, 2009 05:17 PM

we actually had that on another forum and it worked great!! and yes Marko, you're right in saying it only seems fair that the "getter" paid shipping, we had it that way.

luckypenny January 12th, 2009 06:21 PM

It's pretty simple to calculate shipping. Just measure dimensions and weigh item, go to [url]http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/tools/cst/intro-e.asp[/url] (for those senders living in Canada), and get shipping quotes.

I love the Freecycle approach :thumbs up. Maybe I'll get rid of some of these unpacked boxes after all :rolleyes:.

rainbow January 12th, 2009 08:20 PM

It sounds like it's going to work. :thumbs up

mummummum January 12th, 2009 08:26 PM

I agree with the Freecycle approach (tangible items that are free) with participation open to Members with a certain number posts (100?). I'm also thinking that a "Wanted to borrow" category allowance might be of interest. For instance, I have seat belts. As we drive only a few times a year, they sit idle the rest of the time. Another member might welcome an opportunity to "test-drive" :rolleyes: different models of seat belts before making a purchase.

One thing to keep in mind though is that in allowing any used goods to be posted there is the potential of liability for pets.ca and the member posting the item. This will require global "CYA" disclaimers to be written by legal-beagles and that will require $.