Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tough weekend! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65334)

pbpatti September 1st, 2009 11:14 AM

Tough weekend!

So, Sasha had another exciting time at the Gulch. On Friday she swam so hard that she got what I am calling "swimmer's tail", poor thing got out of the water when I asked her to sit she would try and could not sit down her tail hurt her so much. The pain eased up in about 2 hours and she was her old self again, also during her swimming escapade she cut herself just above her left eye, this has already healed up nicely.

NOW the big one: she got bit on her hind leg by another dog I did not even notice the bite until couple of hours later, I cut some of the hair away and found it was dime size, poor baby always getting into trouble. Took her to the vet who had to do surgery as the bite was quite deep, she now has a drain in her leg for 3 days to get rid of any fluid build up and is on Novo-Lexin for the next 14 days.

Can anyone tell me what to watch for in any side effects of Novo-Lexin? Thanks pbp

bendyfoot September 1st, 2009 11:19 AM

appetite loss and tummy yucks (vomitting/diarrhea). Give the pills with a full meal and that will usually help a lot. sorry to hear about the misadventures! :grouphug:

pbpatti September 1st, 2009 11:21 AM

Thanks Bendyfoot, here's hoping that she heals quickly and has not tummy trouble. :pray:

hazelrunpack September 1st, 2009 11:27 AM

I think it's called Cephalexin here, patti. If you have probiotic, you might want to use it with Sasha--our dogs always have diarrhea from it by day 9.

Watch for lethargy, too--rarely dogs can get anemic from it...it can spur auto-immune hemolytic immunity--but only very rarely. We've never had a problem with it other than diarrhea and sometimes nausea. The probiotics really help.

bendyfoot September 1st, 2009 11:30 AM

yeah novo- and cepha-lexin are the same thing:thumbs up

pbpatti September 1st, 2009 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;820848]I think it's called Cephalexin here, patti. If you have probiotic, you might want to use it with Sasha--our dogs always have diarrhea from it by day 9.

Watch for lethargy, too--rarely dogs can get anemic from it...it can spur auto-immune hemolytic immunity--but only very rarely. We've never had a problem with it other than diarrhea and sometimes nausea. The probiotics really help.[/QUOTE] Probiotics? as in yogurt? How much? Thanks

hazelrunpack September 1st, 2009 12:00 PM

Yogurt usually isn't strong enough for delicate setter tummies :rolleyes: They need the heavy-duty stuff. I'd give Sasha at least 2 TBSP per meal, though, if you want to try it.

We have better luck with an acidophilus supplement. WalMart carries one here--Nature's Bounty....cheap....like $7.50 for 100. We open the capsule and sprinkle it over more than one bowl...probably for Sasha you could use a half. Works best if there's something to stick it to--so wet food, raw food, or food with yogurt mixed in (yes, yogurt is a mild enough probiotic that adding the acidophilus to it doesn't overdose them :D)

Bailey_ September 1st, 2009 12:02 PM

Awwh, Hope Sasha feels better soon Patti!

pbpatti September 1st, 2009 12:21 PM

Thanks for the advise I will pick up both some yogurt and acidophilus supplements. Once a day?

hazelrunpack September 1st, 2009 12:30 PM

We give ours a quarter capsule each twice daily. (Two capsules over 8 bowls.) If one (or more :rolleyes:) of them is on antibiotics, we will double the dose of acidophilus for the one (or ones :D) on meds.

pbpatti September 1st, 2009 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;820911]We give ours a quarter capsule each twice daily. (Two capsules over 8 bowls.) If one (or more :rolleyes:) of them is on antibiotics, we will double the dose of acidophilus for the one (or ones :D) on meds.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Hazel, I am off to buy some.

Dog Dancer September 1st, 2009 12:42 PM

Hope Sasha heals up quickly. Adventures are so much fun though aren't they!

Marcha September 1st, 2009 01:05 PM

There's a supplement called "Bio-K" that contains lots of live probiotics. We use it for ourselves when we've had antibiotics too. It tastes a bit like buttermilk, comes in small containers (4 oz), and is stuffed to the rim with live cultures. We get it at the health shelf in our supermarket, or at the healthfood store.