Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet photography - Pet pictures (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Homeless in Winter (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22747)

catsnatcher-CDN January 7th, 2006 10:42 AM

Homeless in Winter

1 Attachment(s)
It's very cold in Quebec during winter

badger January 7th, 2006 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Would they come inside if offered the opportunity or are they just flat-out feral? I have one coming two and three times a day and I just shovel as much food into him as I can. It's gotten to the point where sometimes he will actually share the porch with me, instead of bolting. If there is sun, he curls up on a shelf right against the window. His infected eye has not really improved; he may already be blind on that side. Poor thing, but for the moment I have no room.

cpietra16 January 7th, 2006 01:46 PM

Badger,I know it might be unethical, but is there a way of getting some antibiotics in his food. At least it may help the infection somewhat...that eye looks awful.

poodletalk January 7th, 2006 01:55 PM

so sad, this would make a great story for a newspaper! Have you ever thought of contacting the Gazette? or The Suburban. If you need contact info let me know.

catsnatcher-CDN January 7th, 2006 02:03 PM

They were born outside. They're skiddish but they purr and roll around when they see me coming. The two balck and the Maincoon let me pet them and scratch their bellies.

The two calicos are completely feral. They don't run away or hiss but they don't let me touch them.

But the 2 black cats and Maincoon, I think can adjust to an indoor life. When I got them fixed, my vet said they have very good potential to adjust.

chico2 January 7th, 2006 02:20 PM

OMG,what a sad situation,breaks your heart..:sad:
The only good is at least they get food from you good people,empty tummies makes it even colder outside.
Badger,is there not any no-kill organization that could trap this poor cat,his eye must be very sore.If he seems ok with you around,maybe he is not feral,just abandonned and frightened?
I used to put antibiotics in my Sammys food,crushed up,the only way I could give it to him,he too had a bad eye,but not like this poor guy:sad:

cpietra16 January 7th, 2006 03:44 PM

Catsnatcher..do they have some kind of shelter...I can help to make some kind of shelter or atleast donate the insulation. If I can get someone to adopt my 2 foster sisters, I would Like to atleast get two of them inside. I'll keep you posted. I am looking around for a good home for both Kirby and Firby, and hope its soon because they sure grow on you:D

catsnatcher-CDN January 7th, 2006 04:27 PM

CPietra,

Thank you for all your help. I have a box with hay inside and have insulted the bottom of the balcony as much as I can.

The Maincoon and two black cats are siblings. The Maincoon and one black cat are a female and will be the easiest to tame/adjust. The maincoon is missing the tip of her ear to frostbite.They'll be about 3 years old next year and have spent all their lives outside. It would be quite a challenge to place them since they probably won't be lap cats for a few months.

I wouldn't want them to be placed where I could not track or ensure their well-being since you never know with some.

Do you have any experience with ferals?

Again thanks for trying. They had so much bad luck.

chico2 January 7th, 2006 04:47 PM

Yes,but they were lucky the day you found them:love:
The 2 black ones are carboncopies of my Chico..
I guess you hear it all the time,"if only I could take them,but.."
I would love to have the beautiful maine coon,or the wounded orange cat,show them how good life could be...but:sad

heather331 January 7th, 2006 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
those poor babies!!! :sad: at my old apartment i had feral cats like that. they wouldnt let me pet them but they would share the porch with me and would follow me from my car in the parking lot to my apartment and wait for me to feed them. they often jumped up on the ledge of my window. my cats would be looking at them from the inside. sometimes they would scatch the window trying to fight each other through the glass. it was funny!

the main coone in the picture looks like my Maui....

cpietra16 January 7th, 2006 09:14 PM

catsnatcher...yes I have experience with Ferals...those were the only cats that I would try to catch and release on Vancouver Island. I know the patience and time involved. You work on their line and hope for their trust.

jiorji January 8th, 2006 01:19 AM

aww that's sad. I hate to see lonely homeless animals. I think you should try catching them and taking them somewhere to a shelter so they can get a chance to be with a family. My kitten was a feral and she's doing very well as a spoiled apartment cat. Maybe someone who's willing to offer them indoor and outdoor activities would be suited to take care of your ferals.

side note....I went to visit my parents over the holidays and the feral cat that happens to be my Twiggy's daddy came around to beg for food. Poor baby was waiting by the window. I don't know what happened to Twiggy's mom. She wasn't around. She might've died, as she wasn't in the best condition in the summer.:sad: My parents don't feed the ferals anymore.:mad:

They think that stray animal problems just disappear if you ignore them, and then they'll let you catch them when you feel like it.:rolleyes: right.....

catsnatcher-CDN January 9th, 2006 10:02 AM

Thanks Jiori,

I've called all the shelters and they are absolutely too full to be able to do anything. I call every few months just in case their answer becomes a yes but they have too little funding and too many strays to be able to do anything for these kitties.

jiorji January 9th, 2006 11:23 PM

isn't there a way you can find someone who's willing to adopt at least one of them? I assume it would be hard, but worth a try.

when i caught my (once feral) kitten, no shelters were free either and she decided she wanted to stay with me. I guess i'm good enough for her :D

all furries deserve a warm bed and a human to wake up at 5 am for hugs. :love:

catsnatcher-CDN January 10th, 2006 10:29 AM

I haven't found anyone willing to adopt a two year old feral cat. I've been trying to get them off the streets for quite some time actually. It's very hard when they are not kittens and nearly impossible when they are not instant lap cats.

cpietra16 January 10th, 2006 01:29 PM

Catsnatcher..as soon as I find someone for my fosters I will have room for 2 or 3 cats...I will keep you posted.

chico2 January 10th, 2006 05:03 PM

CPietra,that would be wonderful,I wish the orange cat with the bad eye,whom Badger is feeding,could get out of the cold,but I guess there are thousands who do:sad:
Here we don't have any snow and tomorrow it's supposed to be +8C,but I guess it's much colder and snowier in Quebec..:sad:

Rick C January 11th, 2006 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=catsnatcher-CDN]I haven't found anyone willing to adopt a two year old feral cat. I've been trying to get them off the streets for quite some time actually. It's very hard when they are not kittens and nearly impossible when they are not instant lap cats.[/QUOTE]

We have two feral cats - now indoor cats.

Although they're very skittish, one has adopted my wife as her human and is definitely a lap cat with her . . . . . but I've picked up the cat only once in five years. It wants nothing to do with me and won't let me get near.

The other is skittish and running away most of the time but when you're sitting down she'll come up and want to be petted and I can pick her up once in a while.

Not your normal domesticated cats though.

Rick C
[url]www.goldentales.ca[/url]

catsnatcher-CDN January 12th, 2006 12:04 PM

Thanks Rick C,

I'm hopefull that with a little work and much patience, these cats will adjust to an indoor life. They're friendly with us and with other cats as well but have never had the opportunity to be fully socialized.

They've been struggling outdoors for quite a while now.
Cpietra is the first to offer a place for them and the opportunity for socialization.

Two of five are not socialized (but fixed and vaccinated) and would do better in a heated, well taken care of barn with caring farmers. But I live in the city and don't know any farmers or even how to get them to a safe place.

If only the winters weren't so horrible, it wouldn't be as bad seeing them outside all the time.

Inverness January 14th, 2006 07:40 PM

catsnatcher-CDN: if you are willing to place the 2 most feral ones as outside cats, I am willing to take them. I am going to a friend's tomorrow and I can pick up everything I need to build a very well insulated Winter shelter (she has quite a few backstreet feral cats rescued from Montreal and they have quite a palace over there). If you want, I can take pictures of the wooden area behind my house where I can build the shelter and then you can decide (or you can come and see for yourself). I have an industrial quality infrared light to heat the shelter and I can make sure they have food and water twice a day. Unfortunately, I cannot take anymore indoors cats - my family is MORE than complete. The only thing that worries me is that there is no way to make sure the cats will actually stay around when we move them, although they would likely stay where there is heat and food. Putting a collar onto them makes me uneasy as the more solid ones would not be safe and the quick release they would lose in no time. I guess we'd have to trust destiny a little with this. What do you think ?

cpietra16 January 14th, 2006 09:04 PM

Inverness..WOuld you be able to keep them in for just a couple of months that way you are sure they will stay around and not try to find their way home?

Inverness January 14th, 2006 09:13 PM

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no room inside to make a proper introduction. I would need to keep the new cats in a large crate so they can get to know mine and I have no space at all. The only other option I have is to use my outdoor cat run to keep them safe for a while (build the Winter shelter in there), but it's a bit of a nightmare to keep it accessible in the Winter. It's a big run, about 12 X 20, but I don't know if I can even get the door open with all the snow... I don't use it in the Winter. Hum... I don't know...

catsnatcher-CDN January 15th, 2006 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Inverness]catsnatcher-CDN: if you are willing to place the 2 most feral ones as outside cats, I am willing to take them. I am going to a friend's tomorrow and I can pick up everything I need to build a very well insulated Winter shelter (she has quite a few backstreet feral cats rescued from Montreal and they have quite a palace over there). If you want, I can take pictures of the wooden area behind my house where I can build the shelter and then you can decide (or you can come and see for yourself). I have an industrial quality infrared light to heat the shelter and I can make sure they have food and water twice a day. Unfortunately, I cannot take anymore indoors cats - my family is MORE than complete. The only thing that worries me is that there is no way to make sure the cats will actually stay around when we move them, although they would likely stay where there is heat and food. Putting a collar onto them makes me uneasy as the more solid ones would not be safe and the quick release they would lose in no time. I guess we'd have to trust destiny a little with this. What do you think ?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Inverness, I am willing to leave the two most ferals outside in exchange for guaranteed warmth and 2 regular meals. Unfortunately, unless they are contained for a few months in their new location, they will most certainly escape and try to find their way back here.

The only alternative I can think of for the most feral is a responsible farmer with a heated barn who would be able to keep an eye out for their well-being and not just keep them handy as starving mice chasers.

I went to feed them under the balcony today and realized that the wind is trapping under there. So I put up a makeshift door with a vinyl plastic to stop the wind.

Thelma and Louise are the two ferals:

Inverness January 16th, 2006 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=catsnatcher-CDN]

The only alternative I can think of for the most feral is a responsible farmer with a heated barn who would be able to keep an eye out for their well-being and not just keep them handy as starving mice chasers.

[/QUOTE]

The only problem is that we've kinda "used up" all the available spots with responsible farmers in our area... I don't know anymore... :sorry:

It was sooo cold last night, I thought of those poor cats stuck outside. :(

At least, they have the shelter and food you provide. If you wanted to make a more insulated shelter for them (but maybe you know about this already), you could use big plastic storage boxes that you insulate with 1.5/2 inches of styrofoam sheets on all sides, bottom and top. You cut a door with an X-acto and position them so that the wind does not enter through the door. It's easy to hide under a balcony...

chico2 January 17th, 2006 08:52 AM

IMO,I think the feral cats are probably better off where they are now,moving them to another outdoor area,could be a disaster in this cold,with them trying to find their way back to their familiar area,but I know you all know that already.
I often wonder what makes a cat feral,being born wild?being abandonned?being abused?
"My"George whom I fed for 3 yrs twice a day,although I spoke to him softly,tried to coax him to come to me,would run if I came closer,would not let me touch him..:sad:
Cats are smart,why could he not sense I would do him no harm,after 3 yrs:confused:

catsnatcher-CDN January 17th, 2006 09:45 AM

The weather is hitting them hard. I've set up a make shift shelter for them but I'm pushing my luck. It's not my balcony and my landlords live downstairs. They are super p*&&*ed about the cats being there to begin with, so everyday I push my luck one more day. I even have to hide it from my neighbors because they complained. :sad:

Sometimes I come home late at night and see them crossing the street or walking down the sidewalk and it freaks me out because my street is very busy and a bit dangerous. I call them and they come running back into the backyard.

Chico2,

You're right that ideally, the 2 feral ones should be left where they are so that they don't try to escape their new location. But I won't live here long and even while I'm here, this neighborhood is not the safest place for them and my landlords don't want me taking care of the cats.

The maincoon and 2 black cats have a better chance of adapting to an indoor environment since they purr and roll around when they see us coming.

Cats become feral when they grow up without any human contact. It would be the same for dogs born in the wild without any exposure to humans...As adults, they don't trust the unknown and feel like they have to defend themselves.

badger January 17th, 2006 10:42 AM

I feel for you, catsnatcher, having had problems with my neighbours as well. I've decided it is THEY who are the freaks, not me. I assert my rights to everything on my lease and then a little bit more, strategically, like putting out food at night. However, when there's several cats, and they all spray - and sometimes fight - it can get a bit awkward...
Luckily my landlord does not live on the premises and never comes here.
I've set up shelters in the alley and had them torn apart. So far this year, there don't seem to be any cats using the locker on my back porch which I always organize for them in the winter. I guess it doesn't rate!
We do our best, catsnatcher, knowing that we're up against something which is probably not solvable.
As for feral-ness, I think temperament must play a part, along with socialization, etc. The meanest cat on the alley, a magnificent tabby, has a home (although he's outside a great deal), is well-fed and tagged; but he is the most aggressive cat I have ever met, completely unapproachable (and I am reasonably brave/stupid around most animals). So along with the lack of socialization, there is another, random element.

cpietra16 January 17th, 2006 11:04 AM

Hey catsnatcher I am still working on it..and I think even the most feral cat can't resist a warm home ..at least for the winter. Some ferals can be quite adaptable...and only you can decide who could make it and couldn't in a new environment. There are two schools of thoughts...at least with cougars and bears....to capture and rehome; for some cougars is a death certificate because each territory can only feed one cougar and once another is placed there, then one will starve. The others believe that cougars and bears can adapt or move on and claim other territories.I am not saying its the same for cats but animal instinct is always the same...anyway moving them will alway be a gamble and besides I would rather see them face death naturally than hit by a car. But having said that I would rather see them grow old and gray:)

chico2 January 17th, 2006 04:54 PM

Catsnatcher,it is just so sad and not a darn thing I can do about it:sad:
When are you moving??I guess that would be the end of those two girls..
It must be very,very frustrating and upsetting,but kudos to you for doing what you can:love:
Badger,what about the orange kitty,any news??

catsnatcher-CDN January 18th, 2006 10:42 AM

@&^%$#!!!!

It's all flooded beneath the balcony today! The kitties are now sitting on top of the shelters!