Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My pointer sleeps a lot? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81026)

bethymeww May 10th, 2012 11:12 PM

My pointer sleeps a lot?

We rescued a male pointer, they estimate he is about 2 years old.He was a few days away from being put to sleep because he had not been adopted yet and the only thing they knew about his past was a lady found him wondering the country side (near farm and hunting land) and no one ever claimed him. Poor pup. But their loss is our gain.

Anyways, I read that this breed are supposed to hyper dogs. I know that they are bread to be working bird dogs, love to be with the family, and super smart. The thing I worry about is that he LOVES to sleep and sometimes I worry he sleeps to much for a hyper breed.

We are moving to the country at the end of this year so we got him knowing he would soon have tons of room to roam. For now we are in an apartment with no yard and we knew that would mean lots of extra time put in to keep him active.

I am a stay at home mom with an active 2 year old so this is easy for us. We usually go on long walks twice a day and one of them is always without the toddler so we can go faster and really get going. We also sometimes do nature hikes or take him to a field and let him off his leash so he can sniff and point. He even went with us on our beach camping trip and had a blast and tons of exercise. In other words he loves to move and does great.

Some days it is not as much as others. Sometimes rain, sick toddler, my husband having to work late means a day that may be lighter on the exercise. No matter what exercise he gets that day he will gladly spend the time in between sleeping. Dogs love to sleep I know, but he REALLY loves it.

He can sleep all day if you let him! Once he is outside he moves and is happy but inside he sleeps. He seems happy sleeping and will get up for attention and to follow my son from room to room. But all in all he loves to sleep. He is happy and hyper outside but inside he will sleep hours on end between getting pets and his food. Once it was storming so bad he was maybe only outside with me a minute and I was so worried that he would be misrebel and antsy that day....nope he happily;y slept. Is this something you should be concerned about with such a hyper breed? I know him loving family time is something they are known for and he really does, but I also read they are high energy and he can be if we want him to be some days but seems happy noty being as well.

In a few months he will have tons of room to roam and I want to make sure he is healthy and happy when it happens!

hazelrunpack May 11th, 2012 09:57 AM

Have you had the vet check him for tick-borne diseases, bethymeww? Not sure what all is endemic in your area, but here we have Lyme's and anaplasmosis pirmarily, and excessive sleeping is one of the first symptoms we see when the dogs contract one of the tick diseases. Worth a check, anyway. Bloodwork might also be helpful--sometimes the affect of these diseases on the marrow can be seen in a complete blood count when the test (which can miss up to 30% of the active cases) shows nothing...

bethymeww May 11th, 2012 03:38 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1039696]Have you had the vet check him for tick-borne diseases, bethymeww? Not sure what all is endemic in your area, but here we have Lyme's and anaplasmosis pirmarily, and excessive sleeping is one of the first symptoms we see when the dogs contract one of the tick diseases. Worth a check, anyway. Bloodwork might also be helpful--sometimes the affect of these diseases on the marrow can be seen in a complete blood count when the test (which can miss up to 30% of the active cases) shows nothing...[/QUOTE]

I have not got him tested to that. I think I need to find a new vet because ours was not the most helpful when I mentioned he sleeps a lot. Definitely worth the check. Thank you.

I was also thinking about getting him x-rays because I know pointers can have issues with their back legs and such but since he gets around so well outside I was not sure if that would be something that would make him sleepy when he is inside but get around fine outdoors.

Dog Dancer May 11th, 2012 04:31 PM

I would definitely get the blood work done for tick borne illnesses first. If all that plays out negative you could consider xrays, but I don't think that's going to show you much if he's active outside.

Could it not just be that he's content to be lazy?? I love a nap on Saturday afternoons. :D Our dogs have always been pretty content to laze around in the house if that's what our schedule dictates for the day. Now one is gone and the other is old and sleeps all day if you let her.

bethymeww May 12th, 2012 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1039720]I would definitely get the blood work done for tick borne illnesses first. If all that plays out negative you could consider xrays, but I don't think that's going to show you much if he's active outside.

Could it not just be that he's content to be lazy?? I love a nap on Saturday afternoons. :D Our dogs have always been pretty content to laze around in the house if that's what our schedule dictates for the day. Now one is gone and the other is old and sleeps all day if you let her.[/QUOTE]

LOL, it is very possible! I know I love to be lazy with him :p I was just wanting to make sure because everyone I know who has a pointer says they are always hyper and are surprised mine loves to sleep so much. Honestly I think it is just his personality, he is my lazy pup. But I figure it is better to be safe then sorry.