Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet photography - Pet pictures (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pic from the zoo (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4170)

MBRA518 May 1st, 2004 08:11 PM

Pic from the zoo

I thought everyone here may be interested in teh pics I took at teh zoo last year. I have a firend that works there so we got to go see all the inside stuff... we fed Rinos, were in the feeding area and even got to play with a Bobcat that was in training... that was the coolest thing, they play just like your house cat... just about 40lbs heavier with much bigger teeth..LOL

Check these out

[url]http://community.webshots.com/album/139256216LUYbyI[/url]

Chany May 1st, 2004 08:29 PM

I think that would be one of the best jobs ever. :) Especially the tigers, or else a water park with dolphins and such. :) Coool!

Luba May 1st, 2004 08:39 PM

Very nice pics indeed.

I have a facination myself with elephants! :D

Haven't been to our world famous zoo here in Toronto for about 5 years. I used to take my God children annually but stopped in protest.

It's actually quite sad what happened. The zoo had years before introduced some Canadian geese on the grounds, there was a population explosion and lots of droppings everywhere.

Anyway, this is how they handled it....

One very very hot and humdid summer they used a big cube van, solid steel all the way around (u know the type)...they herded (if thats the correct term) hundreds of geese into this van.

The geese packed in, one on top the other...filling the van. They close the door and leave them in there for an extended period of time.

*Going to relocate them they say* YEAH RIGHT, in that manner??

Anyway, they all died from the heat or from injuries so they dig a big hole with a constuction digger and shovel them all into it!

In addition, they have also 'sold' off deer from the zoo to hunt farms!!

So, I continue to protest going there. Such a shame all those lovely geese dying such a horrible death. :(

Chany May 1st, 2004 08:42 PM

How can a zoo get away with that kind of bs. There is starting to become less Canada geese as it is without that kind of help. :mad:
Nice with the deer too! Canned hunts is what there called. Big heroes!!

chico2 May 1st, 2004 09:56 PM

I actually have not been to the Toronto Zoo since they first opened,I am no fan of Zoo's.They had at the time a little Ozelot in what loked like a small doghouse,the cat-pee stink was awful and he was in a terrible condition.
I complained about it to the head-office but got nowhere,of course.
The beautiful Lions were kept in a big concrete contraption and the whole experience was awful.
That was many years ago,I am hoping things have changed at our Toronto Zoo.
I just wish all wild animals could be wild and live where they are supposed to live but the way things are going,a zoo will soon be the only place we will see.Tigers,Lions etc...
Luba,what you told us about the geese and deer,does not surprise me one bit :mad:
I don't live too far from Oakville and Bronte harbor and they did the exact same thing here to the geese,said they were being relocated,but I think that is just what they did and the geese were soon back again,after all,they can fly :D Looks good on all these hoity-toity Yacht-owners to have to step in a little geese-do-do :D

Luba May 1st, 2004 10:12 PM

You know of course our Canada Goose population explosion was MAN MADE
Sorry for the caps but it's true!

Some guy in his infinite wisdom decided he would breed them in captivity as they were endangered numbers. Well in the wild, some eggs get eaten or abandoned... in his case all of them lived. Lots and lots of them!

Then ofcourse the well meaning but adding to the problem public feed them in the parks..so they don't wanna leave and migrate like they should.
Migration alone controls the population but hundreds of them stay here year round now.

I know what you're talkin about Anita. I remember when the mayor of Mississauga wanted to have them killed and fed to the homeless. She did send truck loads of them to New Brunswick. Of which I wonder how many of them survived? Just like the zoo no doubt?

It really is very sad. I hate to see animals in captivity but I have tried to use it as a learning tool for myself and children. Kids catch on and understand quicker then adults! They don't let politics get in the way of their feelings :D

chico2 May 2nd, 2004 07:49 AM

Yes Luba,I know what you mean and for animals born in captivity they know nothing better and enables kids to see what they are all about and maybe they will do a better job at conserving than we've done.
My absolute favourite animals are the big cats,especially Tigers and Cheetas,extreemly beautiful and our homegrown Wolves.
Oh heck,I love all animals in this ever shrinking world :)

MBRA518 May 2nd, 2004 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=chico2]Yes Luba,I know what you mean and for animals born in captivity they know nothing better and enables kids to see what they are all about and maybe they will do a better job at conserving than we've done.
My absolute favourite animals are the big cats,especially Tigers and Cheetas,extreemly beautiful and our homegrown Wolves.
Oh heck,I love all animals in this ever shrinking world :)[/QUOTE]

Actually the zoo has been continuously opening new exibits too... so many of the animals that we saw last year had nice large outdoor places. And all the keepers I met actually love the animals in their care as if they were their own.

And your right, unfortunately the zoos will be the only places with some animals if the world continues to destroy whole species for greed. The TO zoo is actually known for it reproducion work and has successfully bred animals that typically will not reproduce in captivity.

chico2 May 2nd, 2004 11:32 AM

MBRA..Yes I know,I've seen some of it on Animal-Planet and the staff seem very dedicated to their animals.I am sure the Zoo has improved since I was there.I still will not go,but I am sure all the kids enjoy it,it's a nice day out for families.

Bill & Bob May 2nd, 2004 03:43 PM

Greater Vancouver Zoo just lost it's accreditation with some international zoo organization the other day. Lots of mistreatment of the animals, or perhaps lack thereof of any treatment. Neglect might be a better word.
Ya know, I'm in my mid thirties and I've never actually been to a zoo before? Never thought of that until now.
Damn, now I've said my age.