Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Off topic forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Canadian MP calls U.S. 'idiots' (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6751)

heidiho August 26th, 2004 02:29 PM

Canadian MP calls U.S. 'idiots'

OTTAWA, Canada (Reuters) -- Canadian Member of Parliament Carolyn Parrish had said she hated "damned Americans" and called them *******s in the run-up to the Iraq war.

She found a new moniker, idiots, on Wednesday in discussing the planned U.S. missile defense system.

"We are not joining the coalition of the idiots. We are joining the coalition of the wise," the Liberal legislator told a small group of demonstrators.

Parrish, who had to apologize for her "*******s" remarks last year, at first denied using the word idiots, and when reporters pointed out they had her remarks on tape, she said: "I don't mean Americans are idiots."

Parrish then begged reporters not to use the remarks: "Please guys don't put that on tape," she said. "I already got into trouble once.... Really, please, I've had enough trouble."

Four hours later, however, she hardened her line.

"The last one was a really stupid thing to say," she told Reuters. "*******s is an inappropriate word. Idiots is a term people use in everyday conversation," she told Reuters.

"They tortured people in Iraq, they (the Iraqis) have no weapons of mass destruction. Could somebody explain to me whether you think they're idiots or geniuses?"

The top spokeswoman for former Prime Minister Jean Chretien, Francoise Ducros, had to resign in 2002 for calling President George W. Bush a moron.

Chretien's successor, Prime Minister Paul Martin, has pledged to put relations with Canada's largest trading partner on a warmer footing.

Martin said after Parrish's latest remarks that the debate about missile defense, intended to guard against attacks from what the United States calls rogue states, was "very, very important."

"There is no room in this debate for that kind of language," he told reporters, waving his hand dismissively. "You're going to get very strongly held views but let me tell you those strongly held views have got to be expressed in language that is acceptable."

But Parrish refused to back down.

"That's Mr. Martin's opinion," she told Reuters. "No, I'm not going to apologize.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Story Tools

GsdDiamond August 26th, 2004 02:38 PM

To be perfectly fair (using the post asking about Canadians in the "General" board) US folks are doing a lot worse name calling than us. She just happened to get caught and couldn't get the reporter to not publish it. If that same thing had happened in the US, I bet a little (under the table) strongarming would have gotten the comment quashed.
That's not to say it's excusable...
It happens, even though it shouldn't. People are people are people. Just because we have different customs, eat different food, wear different clothing, etc., doesn't mean that names should be called. Thinking it is one thing...but to actually say it....not good. She'll most likely get canned.

heidiho August 26th, 2004 02:48 PM

I didnt post it cause it made me mad,i really dont care what anyone says about america,i love it america,i just thought it was interesting

GsdDiamond August 26th, 2004 02:53 PM

Oh...I knew you weren't mad. I could tell because you didn't make any nasty comments. :)
I just like to talk sometimes. It's all good! ;)

GsdDiamond August 26th, 2004 02:54 PM

I mean:

Oh yeah? OH YEAH? Well.........my dog's poo stinks more than YOUR dog's poo! :p

heidiho August 26th, 2004 03:37 PM

I saw what you said about pig ears my gsd [past tense] loved them, when i wanted peace i would give him that and he woudl lay in his crate and love life.... :) :)

chico2 August 26th, 2004 03:51 PM

Heidi,What this MP said was just not acceptable,after all she is supposed to be a rep of our government,of the people of Canada.
Although Bush is not one of my favourites,I certainly would not blame all americans for his actions.
My husband being from France,heard some not so nice things from Americans...but hey,who cares :p
We still drive to South Carolina every year and have yet to meet any hostile people and we've been going there for 15yrs.
Hubbie still has a really cute French accent and we've never met anyone who's not been nice.

heidiho August 26th, 2004 04:02 PM

Personally i would love to go to Canada ever since i have gotten on this site evry movie i watch is filmed there,and it is gorgeous,,so green...........

melanie August 26th, 2004 05:07 PM

now that is just down right funny, hysterical in fact. i just love it when ppl actually express their true feelings :D and so publicly, poor woman :D

Cflat August 26th, 2004 07:11 PM

People will be people. Siblings very often call each other names :D

Cactus Flower August 27th, 2004 03:36 PM

Laughed out loud reading this!

So-and-so said idiots....so-and-so called Dubbya a moron.......NEENER NEENER NEENER! lol

I think that there should be one day per year where everyone in office is allowed to say EXACTLY what is on their mind, in no uncertain terms- and to no consequence.

Gimme a break- when Bush was running for president, he was caught on a live mic saying about a journalist who had been asking him questions: "(name of journalist) is a real a**hole, isn't he?".

So calling the pres a moron, who calls other people an arsehole just doesn't offend me a bit.

Donna Marie August 29th, 2004 06:13 PM

She already put one foot in her mouth last year....maybe now that she's got two in there she will keep quiet.