Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   My boy Mickey (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84269)

Helene4 July 11th, 2013 10:37 AM

My boy Mickey

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share that my dog Mickey passed on friday June 28, 2013 at the age of 17 years old. When I got home that last wednesday, I saw that it wasn't just a "bad day". It was his time to go. His head was always turned to one side, he couldn't stand-up or walk by himself. I had to carry him inside. He vomited a few times and wouldn't eat anything. He drank water but I had to hold his head and help him. He slept most of the time, waking every 4-6 hours. I would help him drink and I changed his sheets and blankets if he urinated.

When I took him to the vet clinic for the last time, my vet confirmed what I already suspected: his brain was affected. I stayed with him till the end, petting and talking to him. He left quickly and peacefully. The vet told me I could stay with him longer so I stayed awhile. More than a week later, when I returned to the clinic to get his ashes, I received a plastic-coated card with his footprints as well as a handwritten sympathy card from the vet and staff. It was totally unexpected. I thought I had finished crying but boy oh boy did the tears ever come back when I saw his footprints and when I read the card. I spread some of his ashes on Kalou's grave. She was Mickey's soul mate; she died 9 years ago. I'm sure they are together now, playing and having a ball!:)

I'm sad but I'm also happy: he had a good and long life. He was a happy dog and most importantly, he was loved. He was a great dog, a beautiful and gentle soul, always cheerful with an eternal puppy face smile :angel:. He was "mon petit homme" (my little man). Although the last few years were more difficult (it wasn't always easy taking care of a very old dog) memories of a younger Mickey are coming back.

I'm thankful I have my other dog Arielle and my 2 cats Kira and Jadzia. They make me smile and laugh. Here are the photos I posted when I first joined this board. Mickey is the blond and white dog.
[url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58871[/url]
(I hope I did it correctly, my computer knowledge is very limited, my now ex-hubby helped me when I originally posted those pictures.)

Thanks for reading.

diandpat July 11th, 2013 10:50 AM

I am so sorry...I too know it is difficult to take care of a very senior dog. I would do it all again in a heartbeat for just one more day. I am sure you would too.

He is young and whole and happy and running free of pain at the Bridge now with Kalou :cloud9::angel:

:grouphug::pawprint::dog:

marko July 11th, 2013 11:30 AM

Please accept my deep condolences Helen4 :sorry:
Even though you are coming to terms with Mickey's passing, we know that it's still a hard time :grouphug:

:rip: Sweet Mickey :candle:

Dog Dancer July 11th, 2013 01:09 PM

So sorry to read this, my condolences. Mickey is whole and pain free again and certainly playing with Kalou. What a great mental picture that gives me. RIP sweet Mickey, you were and always will be loved.

Barkingdog July 11th, 2013 02:52 PM

I so sorry to hear of Mickey passing away. It sound like he had a very full life.

hazelrunpack July 11th, 2013 03:20 PM

I'm so very sorry for your loss, but happy that your memories of young Mickey are helping you through this hard time. :grouphug: No matter how long they're with us, it's never long enough, but 17 years is a wonderful run! He looks so happy and carefree in that pic in the intro thread. Very obviously well-loved by his very excellent Mom! :2huggers:

:candle: Mickey

Goldfields July 11th, 2013 10:40 PM

Helene4, Mickey looked lovely and I think you did a splendid job, getting him to that age. I'm sure you gave and loved him through every minute of life you could give him. In the end they take the decision out of our hands. Very sad news, sending our sincere sympathy on your loss, and cyber hugs from me.

Helene4 July 13th, 2013 07:21 AM

Thanks to all for your kind words. I will probably start a new thread; Arielle is having problems ajusting to Mickey's absence when I'm not home...:(