Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Puppy gets car sick (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3259)

FAWN February 26th, 2004 09:38 AM

Puppy gets car sick

I need A help , Can anyone tell me if there is anything that I can give or do to prevent my american eskimo(miniture) from being car sick. I intend to take him on vacation in the summer ,but I really need to know what I can do to help him with car sickness.
Fawn

Lucky Rescue February 26th, 2004 10:14 AM

Good thing you have plenty of time to get him over this! If all else fails, you may need to get meds, but only as a last resort. Here is a great article I read on carsickness. The emphsis is on taking it very slowly.

[b]You can begin with just sitting in the stationary car with your pet. Give you pup treats and praise for good behaviour, and speak in a happy, friendly voice so your pet thinks this 'car thing' is all about fun. Close the doors and windows, and allow your pup to sniff and explore the car. Once the car seems less threatening, secure your pet in the car in a crate or with a safety belt and give them some time to get used to this new experience (see: 'Belt up: Safe travelling in the car').

The next step is to start the motor for a few seconds, but not actually drive off. Let your pup get used to the new sounds and smells. Reassure them as needed, but try to keep things as upbeat and stress-free as possible. A few treats or your pet's favourite toy are good items to have handy. Over the next few days, switch on the motor for longer and longer sessions.

It may take a week or more before your pup is ready for a short journey, but use the pup's own progress as a guide. If they are particularly uncomfortable, then proceed slowly; rushing and pushing your puppy will only make matters worse.

Take very short journeys to begin with, and be sure your pet has an empty stomach. One great way to get your pup to associate the car with something pleasurable is by using the car to visit fun places - like the home of a friend, or if your pup is fully immunized, the park.

The vet's is not the best place to take your pup on their first car ride! But if your pup is still having problems with the car, a vet will be the best person to talk to.[/b]

Bueller's Mommy February 26th, 2004 10:15 AM

I don't know if there is anything you can 'give' him to prevent him from getting sick, but you can call your vet and ask.

I used to have the same problem with both of my boys. I was told to take him for a short car ride every day to get him used to it and eventually he would stop. It worked for both of them. Try not to feed him before you take him in the car either.

Hope that is some help to you.:)

mona_b February 26th, 2004 10:16 AM

First off,make sure that you don't feed him at least 2 hours before the car ride.

One of my sisters dogs would get car sickness when she was a pup.So what she did was give her half a Gravol half an hour before they drove.It worked.:D

Also,you can talk to your vet and ask them what you can do.

mona_b February 26th, 2004 10:18 AM

Man I do type slow....:(

No one posted yet when I got on here....lol