Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   9 year old cat (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=70658)

Joanna10 June 3rd, 2010 09:30 PM

9 year old cat

I recently had to put down my 22 year old cat due to her starting to have mini strokes. My 9 year old male cat Thai has been with her his whole life. Since she has been gone he has started spraying and urinating randomly everywhere. I am guessing this is because of the stress he is having from missing her(don't know for sure) but he never ever did this before. Any suggestions on how to stop this. Basically now going to have to remove all carpet from the house to stop the smell and getting rid of the cat is definitely not an option that is going to happen.

luckypenny June 3rd, 2010 10:41 PM

I'm sorry for your loss of your cat :( :grouphug:.

Do you think that perhaps Thai's spraying may have to do with something unrelated to your other cat's passing? I would suggest a vet visit to rule any medical issues out, just in case.

There are some amazing cat pros here on the forum. They'll be on soon to give you some ideas/advice soon so check back in.

catlover2 June 3rd, 2010 11:24 PM

Joanna10, 22 y.o. is a great age for a cat. He was obviously well loved and had excellent care. Always so very very hard to let an old friend go. :cry: :rip:

I expect your 9 y.o. cat is spraying because of the stress he is feeling over missing his cat friend. If they were close good friends, cats do grieve. It's his way of saying he's upset with the change, tho it's always good to have vet check for any possible urinary problem. If he's fine physically, then you'll know it's stress for sure.

I think he would probably stop spraying if you got him a playmate---[I]a girl spayed kitty around 4-5 mos. old[/I] would be ideal. He would likely adjust better and be more accepting of an older kitten than an adult. Another male kitten may have him continue to spray to assert his dominance. It would be good to hear an update, so let us know how it goes. All the best!

14+kitties June 4th, 2010 12:09 AM

I am so sorry about your loss. It is never easy to lose a much loved pet. She lived to be 22!! Amazing. :cloud9: I am sure she is now an :angel2: watching you and guiding you.:candle:
As for your boy please, before you do anything else, take him to the vet for a thorough checkup. He is at the age where male cats, depending on their diet, could be developing crystals, stones, or other health issues. It may have to do with his mate's passing but please do not put it down 100% as that.
Has anything else changed since her passing? Have you changed foods, litter box location, sizes of boxes, litter brand, any and/or all of those things could lead to the issues you are seeing now.
Good luck and please let us know how everything is progressing. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

Love4himies June 4th, 2010 06:57 AM

I am so sorry for your loss :grouphug:

Like 14+ posted, any cats, especially males, that start spraying should have a vet visit with a full check up, including bloodwork and urinalysis. Stress in a cat's life can cause health issues and I imagine your poor boy is really missing his mate :(

If Thai is a social kitty, then I would (after the vet check), look into getting him a companion, as catlover said, not a young kitten as they can be too rambunctious for an older cat, but one that is young enough that he/she will respect an older cat.

:rip: :cat::candle:

Joanna10 June 4th, 2010 09:37 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I will take him for a checkup. As of right now I don't see any crystal where he has been peeing. I did move the litter box but have recently put it back to see if that helps. Getting another cat was not in my plans as we have 3 parrots that like to come out and roam the house. I don't think he would be too friendly to a new member of the house. He is a very dominating cat, when friends visit if they bring their dog he doesn't allow them to leave the livingroom area. No matter what size of dog it is he rules. Kind of like having a cat/dog all in one. I will keep you updated on the outcome.

Joanna10 July 3rd, 2010 05:26 PM

Well since moving the litter back to the original location he has stopped peeing everywhere. Obviously I moved it too soon. He seems to be getting back to his old self.