Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rhodesian ridgeback owners (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50399)

lindiak007 March 11th, 2008 09:29 PM

Rhodesian ridgeback owners

Hello guys,

how much do you excercise your Ridge? I want to add a Ridge to my pack (beagle dog) and would like to know if i can manage Ridgeback as for "excercise needs"
i usually spend 1,5 hour in the morning with my dog, then he has a dogwalker ..cca 1,5 hour (morning+ afternoon altogether) and then he has ccan 0,5 hour in the evening.

Do you think if would be enough to wank them together? or does a Ridgeback needs more time outside??

what about their temperament? :dog:
thank you

Catherine Lane April 22nd, 2008 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=lindiak007;561917]Hello guys,

how much do you excercise your Ridge? I want to add a Ridge to my pack (beagle dog) and would like to know if i can manage Ridgeback as for "excercise needs"
i usually spend 1,5 hour in the morning with my dog, then he has a dogwalker ..cca 1,5 hour (morning+ afternoon altogether) and then he has ccan 0,5 hour in the evening.

Do you think if would be enough to wank them together? or does a Ridgeback needs more time outside??

what about their temperament? :dog:
thank you[/QUOTE]

Hi Lindia,

First of all, I'm not entirely clear as to how much you mean here - two hours total for the day? I walk my 20 month old RR offleash about an hour and a half a day. He is very lean and fit, and we may do more this year, I kept it to that length of time as he was still growing. But offleash, running around the woods with me, is very good exercise and if we didn't increase it, I'd be happy with the level we are at.
As for requirements, this breed does do best if they are active. Like many hounds, the RR is a bit of a couch potato but also benefits from a regular conditioning programme. And of course there are always individual variables; one of my boys, Luke, was very lazy. Most of the RRs I have know are energetic and love to run and play.

I do think you are fine with an hour and a half daily, especially if it's offleash and there is another dog there to play with.

Temperament wise, I'd have to say this is not a breed for anyone who wants an easy dog. They were bred to think independently and are not as likely to be quick and responsive as say, a Lab or a Border Collie. Recall can often ne a challenge. RRs are very independent and yet sensitive, so the trick in my opinion is to balance good leadership with gentleness. Becasue the breed can be frustrating if you don't understand their mentality, some novice owners make the mistake of using harsher methods with them, which can shatter the human/canine bond in a big way with these guys. I started Daniel right away in kindergarten and then into clicker work and he's a delight to live with, but he is still a Ridgeback, and will always require some training reinforcements and a skilled approach. In my experience, the females of this breed are a lot tougher then the boys, too.

Just a few thoughts here, it's great that you are asking questions before plunging in. I adore my RRs and could not imagine my life without one - but as for my friends who have 2,3 - 5 - of them, I don't know how they do it. My other dog is a Border Collie/Lab cross who is possibly the easiest, most responsive dog in the world, and she has taught Daniel a lot about how to behave. I cannot take all the credit for that!

Nice meeting you,
Catherine

DoubleRR April 23rd, 2008 02:43 PM

Have owned 4 RR and bred a litter that I kept my male out of. Temperment--strong willed, must be socialized, but very loving family dogs. My two now love everyone--from babies to wheelchaired, but from puppyhood on they met literally hundreds of folks and went to obedience classes and play dates with other dogs for dog socialization as well. This is a breed you must remind daily that the rules are still the same and you have not changed your mind. At the same time, once rules are learned and routines understood, they are very very easy to maintain. Strong prey drive as in any hunting breed--also varies with the individual--some are fantastic lure coursers, some would rather sniff the daisies than trample them, :). Some do well in agility and even obedience, but the norm is they would prefer to just have a good hike or a fun wrestling match with other dogs. One word of caution--do not wrestle with your RR--they should never learn people can be played with that way, as they are very strong and LOVE to play fight.

The exercise sounds sufficient--when they are young they need more play time with other dogs, and your beagle will find an RR plays a little rough-each breed has it's own method of play. However, one of mine had a dachshund as a best friend, and they worked out a way to play. It's very true, the females are tougher, but some of the males I have known were very protective, so you have to know what the temperments of the lines you are looking at usually turn out to be to get a glimpse of what your future adult dog will be like. Visit as many breeders and talk to owners at dog shows etc--helps a lot.

Continue researching, it is always the way to go before committing to a new pet--kudos! By the way, mine almost hibernate through winter--when the mercury drops, they just sleep it away. Once spring hits--exercise needs ramp up accordingly-immediately!