Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to stop dogs picking up garbage from floor? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65598)

SparklingSparky September 13th, 2009 09:33 PM

How to stop dogs picking up garbage from floor?

Recently i heard few dogs in outdoor eaten some rat pills in outdoor and have passed away. This pest control company are irresponsible, placing the pills all over the ground and we cant control them.

My dog is greedy and always like sniff and pick up garbage from the floor. How to stop him from doing this ? He is corgi, so short legs even more convenient from them to pick up garbage from the ground.

E-Collar ? Muzzel him when he pick up things ?

Anyone can help?

Sparky's mum

Chaser September 13th, 2009 09:45 PM

Practice the :Leave It" command....put a treat on the floor and tell him to "leave it"....work from short to longer period of time before you tell him it's "free". Next time he tries to eat soemthing off the ground, tell him to "leave it". Takes paractice but works well....my dog used to hoover goose poop, but she stopped once she learned this command.

hazelrunpack September 13th, 2009 09:48 PM

Depending on where you are, it may also be illegal for the pest-control company to put out pellets. If a child ate one, they'd be up for charges and a law suit. So you might also want to investigate whether what they're doing is legal.

Meanwhile, though, "leave it" and the utmost diligence...

Bailey_ September 13th, 2009 09:48 PM

Are you referring to outside garbage on the ground while on a walk??

SparklingSparky September 13th, 2009 09:57 PM

Yes Bailey, my corgi likes to snif on floor, sometime want to mark sometimes searching for food while on a walk.

I need to stop his head towards to ground totally?

If "Leave on" command wont work, what is the other method ? Will gentle-leader head collar help ?

Tundra_Queen September 15th, 2009 02:09 AM

Until he learns to leave it, I would put muzzle on him. he won't like it, but at least it will stop him from eating those pellets and dying. It would have to be a muzzle he wouldn't be able to get his tongue out of to lick up the pellets though. And I don't know if they make such a muzzle.

Debbie

SparklingSparky September 15th, 2009 02:50 AM

Should i first started to try not allowing him to[B] bend down his head [/B]to sniff (he used to sniff to mark too, which i dunt mind.. but danger he will pick up stuff) ? he is only 12 inches hieght he can smell without bending his head right ?

[B]If he bend down his head, i will leash his head up ?[/B] any advise ? if didnt do well, then i will put on muzzle to puish him if he happens to pick up things while i cant on time leash him up.

[B]Dont let him bend and sniff definitely is better then taking the fatal risk right?[/B]
Sparky's mum

SparklingSparky September 15th, 2009 02:54 AM

I am sorry that i posted this thread in the wrong group.

Anyway to swift to the dogs behaviour and training group?

Thanks
Sparky

Bailey_ September 15th, 2009 11:18 AM

Corgi's are naturally quite close to the ground, so pulling on his head everytime he bends down could be damaging as this will most likely happen quite often. The best advice I would give is to bring a new squeaky toy on walks (one that he's never seen/heard before, and that will attract his attention while you're outside) so that whenever he does seem to start to sniff the ground, you can squeak the toy - let him mouth it, but not have it until the end of the walk where you will need to take it away and save it again for the next walk. In the meantime, is there anyone you can talk to about the pellets?

Teaching him indoors the leave-it command will greatly benefit your walks outside as well.