Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Mouse traps - I felt soooo bad today.... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77362)

Claudia36oh June 9th, 2011 10:49 PM

Mouse traps - I felt soooo bad today....

we have some Mice in our shed outside, since we live in a Townhouse the management want them killed and put out sticky traps yesterday.

Today I go out to the shed not even thinking of a mouse, here is a baby mouse dead on the trap and her mommy still alive looking at me, I tried to get her off, there is no way, they are stuck...that had to been the cruelest thing ever...I took up all the sticky traps, heck with management they can live in my shed..soo sad:yell::frustrated::mad:

hazelrunpack June 9th, 2011 11:39 PM

:grouphug: I don't have the heart to use lethal traps, either, but hubby doesn't like mice in the garage. :o So I trap them in live traps and transport them (or have [I]him[/I] transport them) to the end of the drive and release them. And yes, I know they probably beat me back to the garage before I've reached the house, but it makes hubby happy thinking they're finding a new home somewhere else! :D And if a 'new' mouse moves in overnight, well, I guess we'll just have to put the live traps out again and take care of 'that one', too! :laughing:

Claudia36oh June 10th, 2011 12:39 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1013329]:grouphug: I don't have the heart to use lethal traps, either, but hubby doesn't like mice in the garage. :o So I trap them in live traps and transport them (or have [I]him[/I] transport them) to the end of the drive and release them. And yes, I know they probably beat me back to the garage before I've reached the house, but it makes hubby happy thinking they're finding a new home somewhere else! :D And if a 'new' mouse moves in overnight, well, I guess we'll just have to put the live traps out again and take care of 'that one', too! :laughing:[/QUOTE]

Lol...you sound like me, where can I get a live trap for them..I might have a few babies now, since they killed mommy:frustrated:

chico2 June 10th, 2011 07:46 AM

Claudia,sticky traps are the absolute worst,I don't blame you for feeling sad,I would pick them all up:evil:
Like Hazel says,there are humane traps...

hazelrunpack June 10th, 2011 07:59 AM

I've seen them in hardware stores, Claudia. They're just a little plastic box with one end being a falling door. Bait them, set the door and check frequently to see if the door is closed. If it is, take the trap to the release area and open the door to release. Pretty easy and you don't even have to handle the mouse. :thumbs up

marko June 10th, 2011 08:35 AM

I hear your frustration Claudia36oh, these things bother me greatly as well. I've edited the thread title to make it easy for others to find the information. Thx - marko

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1013329]:grouphug: I don't have the heart to use lethal traps, either, but hubby doesn't like mice in the garage. :o So I trap them in live traps and transport them (or have [I]him[/I] transport them) to the end of the drive and release them. And yes, I know they probably beat me back to the garage before I've reached the house, but it makes hubby happy thinking they're finding a new home somewhere else! :D And if a 'new' mouse moves in overnight, well, I guess we'll just have to put the live traps out again and take care of 'that one', too! :laughing:.....................
......I've seen them in hardware stores, Claudia. They're just a little plastic box with one end being a falling door. Bait them, set the door and check frequently to see if the door is closed. If it is, take the trap to the release area and open the door to release. Pretty easy and you don't even have to handle the mouse.[/QUOTE]

+1

HRP - if you wanted to throw in a link in this thread to where these live traps can be bought, that would be great!

Thx!
Marko

Melinda June 10th, 2011 08:42 AM

Live traps can be purchased at home depot, they are quite large (tin) or you can purchase the smaller one mouse per trap ones.

for any further sticky trap situations, you can remove the mice using rubbing alcohol. use an exacto knife to cut away all but the square around the mouse and use a low dessert plate, sit the mouse there and pour in enough rubbing alcohol to barely cover her feet, she will work them free, I had to hold the paper trap in place so she could move without taking it with her.

marko June 10th, 2011 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Melinda;1013372]Live traps can be purchased at home depot, they are quite large (tin) or you can purchase the smaller one mouse per trap ones.

for any further sticky trap situations, you can remove the mice using rubbing alcohol. use an exacto knife to cut away all but the square around the mouse and use a low dessert plate, sit the mouse there and pour in enough rubbing alcohol to barely cover her feet, she will work them free, I had to hold the paper trap in place so she could move without taking it with her.[/QUOTE]

AWESOME advice Melinda! :thumbs up :goodvibes:

Here's an image of one of the cheaper traps plus link at home depot in canada. [url]http://www.homedepot.ca/product/victor-live-catch-display/909579[/url]

Claudia36oh June 10th, 2011 09:03 AM

Thank you, thank you for all the great tips...gonna hunt me a live trap today,
we don't have a home depot, but I'm pretty sure I can find one at Menards or Lowes, thanks again.

Melinda June 10th, 2011 10:06 AM

we use the large tin one, its actually kinda cute in a gross way, there are little air vents at each end, if you hold it up they all run to the vents, stick their little paws out and look up at you *L* we had 8 in there at one time, hubs takes them for a "bush" walk and empties it (these are from our porch attic, not attached to the house) anyways, always make sure none are hiding under the little ramps ....................HE forgot, and as I went to wash the trap under my kitchen taps a little one jumped out at me *LOL* comical at 5:30 am to see me dancing around the kitchen in my granny flannels with a tropical fish net trying to catch a very very wet mouse running around my counter!!!

chico2 June 10th, 2011 04:37 PM

Melinda,I have a vivid pic of that in my head:laughing:

hazelrunpack June 10th, 2011 04:54 PM

Where was DH with the video cam when you needed him!!! :laughing:

The pic you posted looks very similar to the ones we use, Marko. Glad you found a link :thumbs up

Melinda June 10th, 2011 08:09 PM

hubby was behind me laughing his fool head off and holding Brina who wanted in on the chase!!

Claudia36oh June 10th, 2011 08:39 PM

omg..that's funny

Claudia36oh June 11th, 2011 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my live trap..already got 2 mice, they where sooo happy to jump of :thumbs up

hazelrunpack June 11th, 2011 10:04 PM

Glad it worked so well! Looks like the deluxe model! :D

Dee-O-Gee June 11th, 2011 10:15 PM

We have mice that enter our warehouse and we bought traps similar to the one Marko posted.

Our warehouse manager checks the traps daily and takes them across the street to an abandoned field to release.

Hope the new trap works for you Claudia. :fingerscr :highfive:

Claudia36oh June 11th, 2011 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1013552]Glad it worked so well! Looks like the deluxe model! :D[/QUOTE]

It was only $20 well worth it..you should of seen the two I caught jumping out, too cute..will have to take a picture with the next one :lightbulb:

chico2 June 12th, 2011 08:14 AM

Claudia,it looks huge,how big is it??
Maybe we can put one in the shed??

Claudia36oh June 12th, 2011 09:32 AM

It not very big, about 10 inches long and 3 inches wide..had another one this morning..lol

hazelrunpack June 12th, 2011 10:05 AM

Excellent! :highfive: What are you using to bait them into the trap?

otter June 12th, 2011 10:06 AM

At my friends work they use live traps, once they trap them they give them a little spritz of spray paint on their back to mark them. They track whether the mice are repeat offenders :laughing: Amazingly enough, most of them never come back.
I think the origin of the marking was to prove to the fans of less humane measures that the live trap method actually works. Might be worth trying this, so you can prove to management that you're actually helping with the mouse problem, otherwise they might want to put the glue traps back :yuck: (actually the "snap" traps, although they still kill, are way more humane! - might be worth a suggestion if they insist on deadly force)

hazelrunpack June 12th, 2011 10:10 AM

Oh, that's a good idea! I get the feeling that the mice we relocate from the garage are beating us back to the house :o Never thought to mark them to see if that's true! :thumbs up Do they make nontoxic spray paint, though?

Longblades June 12th, 2011 04:13 PM

I've never heard of sticky traps, other than the long, hanging fly ones. That sounds horrible.

Neither of the photos of live traps looks like our live mouse one. It's about the size of a one inch thick book. I'm gonna go google to see if I can find a photo.

Marking the wee things is a good idea. The OH doesn't want mice making nests in the upholstery of the car he stores in the garage (the one that doesn't run while the ones we use sit out in the snow and sun :rolleyes:) It would be interesting to see how many, if any, get trapped over and over.

[url]http://www.qfonic.com/home-outdoors-pest-control-metal-multi-mouse-trap-live-catch-upto-mice-p-4452.html?osCsid=d3n6f0c5d3hsh8vinoiflvdif4[/url]

It looks like this.

chico2 June 12th, 2011 04:30 PM

Longblades that looks great too,they are cute little buggers.
Here they are Deer-Mice,with their white little socks.

They did however build nests in our snowblower,leafblower and lawnmower,caused a lot of damage.
We bought a new shed,made of that plasticy material and so far no mice have been getting in and we keep bird-seeds,suet and all kinds of stuff in there.

Claudia36oh June 12th, 2011 07:52 PM

Hazel, I use peanut butter to bait and it works great, got 4 so far in the life trap :thumbs up

hazelrunpack June 12th, 2011 08:11 PM

We use peanuts, Claudia, so it must be a flavor they like a lot! :D

Claudia36oh June 12th, 2011 10:46 PM

I know they like any type of bird seeds too, found a big hole in mine I kept outside:D

I'm actually having fun catching these little cuties and setting them free, had a really little one last time I checked tonight, it was kinda scared to walk out of the trap, had to make him go, he looked back at me and then literally hoped away..lol

Melinda June 13th, 2011 05:59 AM

thats the exact one we have longblades, see where the two ramps are?? *L* thats where one was hiding, Claudia, they say if you release 1/2 mile from the house they won't return, we "dabbed" them with a marker and we only had one repeat customer last winter.

Claudia36oh June 13th, 2011 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one of the three I caught today..lol