Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cats emotional (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71986)

Sew-sew-steve August 13th, 2010 07:16 AM

Cats emotional

Well, some of you may know that I got another cat for nunu.

They got along quite well. Due to circumstances though, I had to give up the second cat. She's in good hands so no worries there.

And I know, believe me I know this causes stress on boh the cats. And as I said before, circumstances are to blame.

Anyhow, since the other cat left, nunu's been lonely. She's gotten used to a companion and now she's alone.

I wanted to know, would getting another cat for her be a bad idea?

My mom says her allergies with nunu are none-existent. She says that when I'm gone for work, nunu cries a good 30 minutes. They let her out At a certain time of the day though. My mom says she's persistent to sleeping on someones lap. I think thats because shes gotten used to gambit. Anyhow, she's become more dosile which can only be good.

Anyway, I want to clarify that circumstances didn't allow me to keep gambit, not just any cat in general.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts, would getting another cat be good? they've been together for about a week.

Thanks in advance.

mikischo August 13th, 2010 07:41 AM

Just wondering what circumstances didn't allow you to keep Gambit?

Although many say that two cats are better than one, many people have only one cat and the kitties get used to being the one and only (some kitties even prefer it that way:D).

Sure, Nunu may be feeling a bit lonely right now since she had gotten used to having another kitty around for a while, but she will get used to it and she will be just fine. Sounds like things are working out very well with her and your mom's allergies and it is great that she is even getting out of your room a bit and getting a chance to interact with the rest of the family.:thumbs up My recommendation is that you don't get another kitty right now. Concentrate on doing what is needed for Nunu for the next few months. She has a vet appointment coming up for vaccinations, etc. and in a few months (when she is about 5 or 6 months old) you will need to look at getting her spayed.

There is time to look at getting another kitty in the future (several months or a year down the road perhaps). That is my opinion.

Sew-sew-steve August 13th, 2010 08:05 AM

That makes sense, and I guess it couldn't hurt.
I have an appointment comming up for her eye to get checked up and to get ear parasite medication.

About the circumstances, it's nothing personal, but I rather no disclose it, sorry.

I have a question though, whenever nunu comes and lays down on me in bed, she always has her backside facing me. Only on occasion she will face me while laying down :S

mikischo August 13th, 2010 08:28 AM

When my kitties lie down beside me they usually curl up with their back against me facing the other direction. Just more comfortable that way maybe.:shrug: Anyway, don't take it personally.:D

Sew-sew-steve August 13th, 2010 03:00 PM

Lol yeah I think it's purely a comfort preference.

Another thing I just remembered, you know when you just get out if bed, and you hear a crack somewhere on your body?

Well on occasion, I'll hear a crack on nunu's body, once on her left elbow, and a couple of times on her back.
I asked the vet about it, but he laughed and said it's normal. I don't trust this guy 100%, he's just not comforting. :/

mikischo August 18th, 2010 08:22 AM

How are things going? Still waiting for pics of Nunu.:D

I don't know anything about cracky joints in cats other than possibly in older cats who might have arthritis. Maybe you have superior hearing? As long as she is normally active and not showing any signs of discomfort, I don't know that I would worry too much about it.