Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   why does she try and cover her food like it is a turd??? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35343)

heidiho January 15th, 2007 05:48 PM

why does she try and cover her food like it is a turd???

No tsure if i asked this before,but quite often when i put her wet food down she wlaks up smells it and takes her paw and seems to be trying to bury it with invisible kitty litter like one of her turds......We went out to eat and i bought her striped marlin(nothing on it at all) for a special treat,put in her bowl and she did the same thing,BUT,when i sat on floor and hand fed it to her she ate all of it!!!!!! What is this all about,no matter what type of food(chicken ,tuna etc) she has been doing that.......eventually she will go eat it,but this morning she did not,and i cant keep it out all day because the ants will be all over it within 20 minutes........

Scott_B January 15th, 2007 05:57 PM

Think wild ;)

One of my cats does this. If they had something outside, and didnt plan on eating it, what better way to save it then to bury it. So really, thats what they're doing. Trying to cover it up, to eat later.

Thats why cats use litter boxes eh. Its to mask their scent, so other wild animals don't know they're around. In the wild cats dif small holes and then cover it over when done. :thumbs up

heidiho January 15th, 2007 06:02 PM

Wow!! That does make perfect sense and i never would of thought of that,i just thought she doesnt like the food i am giving her,but then thought she cant possibly hate every different flaovr.thank you for answer.....so why do you think she wouldnt eat her $10.00 awesome marlin i bought out of her bowl ,but ate it with me sitting on floor hand feeding her?????

jiorji January 15th, 2007 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=heidiho;352793]so why do you think she wouldnt eat her $10.00 awesome marlin i bought out of her bowl ,but ate it with me sitting on floor hand feeding her?????[/QUOTE]

cos she's a spoiled brat :rolleyes:
my cats does the same thing sometimes

Maya January 15th, 2007 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=heidiho]so why do you think she wouldnt eat her $10.00 awesome marlin i bought out of her bowl ,but ate it with me sitting on floor hand feeding her?????[/QUOTE]She probably wasn't hungry enough to be bothered doing it herself, then was like o well sure if you'd like to hand feed me that's easy. One of my kitty's liked using invisible wall dirt to cover up food etc., cat's are silly creatures.

heidiho January 15th, 2007 07:52 PM

she is most entertaining,and if she wants to be hand fed,so be it,this is burger king she can have it her way.Now i get how some people say i am so and so and i am owned by my pet,because whatever it takes for her comfort i am here to do.I love her to death,and she can have whatever she wants.She is getting spayed next month,that is gonna be hard no food or water after 8:00 pm..Do you think this will calm her down,because in the morning she is unstoppable with attacking my feet?????and dhe can get rough.

Inisfad January 18th, 2007 10:10 AM

why does she try and cover her food like it is a turd?

[QUOTE=heidiho;352835]..Do you think this will calm her down,because in the morning she is unstoppable with attacking my feet?????and dhe can get rough.[/QUOTE]
A lot of peole say that neutering will calm your pet down, but frankly, other than seeking mates, etc., I've never really found that their behavior changes that much after neutering. So if she likes the game of attacking your feet in the morning, she'll probably keep doing it!

heidiho January 18th, 2007 02:30 PM

yeah she loves it,well maybe she will grow out of it...or maybe she is teething i dont know

trippincherri January 24th, 2007 07:21 PM

She'll grow out of it, that's just her being a kitten!!
They love to senselessly attack anything that moves, she's teaching herself how to hunt....though I don't see why since she will never need to hunt with you sitting on the floor hand feeding her striped marlin!!:D Just teasing Heidi.

heidiho January 24th, 2007 07:27 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I love it.To funny.Yeah she is pretty spoiled,i swear it was only a test to see if she just wasnt hungry or soemthing else when i hand fed her.....who am i kiddin,i am just completely mushy when it comes to her,she has me very well trained:cat: :cat: