Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Horrible - never leave your windows open!! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50964)

rjesak March 29th, 2008 09:14 PM

Horrible - never leave your windows open!!

So my best friend called me at two this morning from the emegency animal care clinic. Her cat had (apparently) been sleeping on the window sill when the screen popped out and the cat fell from the second story window.

The first thing I have to say (because this was the first thing I had to know) is that the cat is alive and will probably remain that way. He broke his back left leg in nine places, bruised his spinal cord, broke and dislocated his joint and broke three toes. He's now in a cast up to his hip, and has to be closely watched for swelling or shock during the next seventy two hours. :sick:

I'm totally freaked out. This is, like, my worst nightmare! :eek::pray::eek: It made me want to give all my beloved cats away to loving homes who would never tell me about the horrible things that happen to them. :sad: Obviously this is an overstatement, I was overjoyed to come home to my cats tonight, but I'm a wreck - and that's to say nothing of my friend. I admit I'd often left the windows open because the cats loved them so much but I will never do it again. Now I can't even figure out what excuse I used to make me think it was a good idea - or even an ok one!

Anyway, it's not like there's anything you all can do, I just had to share with a few people who would understand - no one I was around today does. They're all the types of people who, either have had no pets, or for whom pets were sort of an offhand thing. They totally have no idea why I'm an emotional wreck today! :cry:

otter March 29th, 2008 09:22 PM

:eek: what a terrifying story. I'm so glad no window in my house is more that four feet off the ground :D

Sending loads of :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: for that poor kitty.

Maybe time to get some reinforcement for the screens or some bar type barriers - seems such a shame to have to keep the windows closed :shrug:

rjesak March 29th, 2008 09:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing - I love having the windows open and so do the kitties. For right now though, only the windows on the ground floor will be open!!! Maybe I can get my contractor to fasten the screens to my house with cement or something!

hazelrunpack March 29th, 2008 10:16 PM

:eek: Scary!!!!!! Especially these days with that flimsy nylon screening held in by that little bead of plastic!

:fingerscr, crossed :pawprint:s and :goodvibes: for a quick recovery for your friend's kitty...

Amee March 29th, 2008 10:28 PM

That's awful, I hope your friends kitty has a fast recovery.

growler~GateKeeper March 30th, 2008 02:24 AM

:sad: poor kitty :goodvibes::fingerscr for the wee one

I live in a 2nd floor apt with side sliding windows that have a lock built-into the frame so they can be open about 1 inch and locked - you should look into that type of thing for your windows and your friends too.

Love4himies March 30th, 2008 08:54 AM

That happened to one of my cats once. Well actually he was climbing the screen, and fell. I screamed and ran downstairs and outside. Luckily he was fine, landed on his feet.

I hope the kitty will make a full recovery.:pray:

krdahmer March 30th, 2008 10:30 AM

That is scary! :goodvibes: Kitty makes a full recovery! :pray:

[QUOTE=growler;571313]:sad: poor kitty :goodvibes::fingerscr for the wee one

I live in a 2nd floor apt with side sliding windows that have a lock built-into the frame so they can be open about 1 inch and locked - you should look into that type of thing for your windows and your friends too.[/QUOTE]

The crappy house we rent has really dilapitated windows & screens, so in the spring I went around and duct taped all the screens from the outside, and I use a piece of wood in each window to make sure they can't open more than about an inch or so. Our windows aren't far off the ground, but I just like to be safe. When we buy our own house I want to have the full security system for fire/carbon/theft etc.... it would make me feel better leaving them here alone when we're away. (And me a bit safer as Hubby is always away.:rolleyes:) They do also make a special screen for pets, I saw it at home depot, we thought about redoing the screens, but we aren't spending any money fixing a house that isn't ours.

cpietra16 March 30th, 2008 01:40 PM

OMG...poor kitty. WHat a shock to be sleeping happily one moment and falling down to stories the next...EVery spring I check all my screens for that same reason. My fear is that they escape and get lost....I wish poor kitty a speady recovery

rjesak March 30th, 2008 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=cpietra16;571439]OMG...poor kitty. WHat a shock to be sleeping happily one moment and falling down to stories the next...EVery spring I check all my screens for that same reason. My fear is that they escape and get lost....I wish poor kitty a speady recovery[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know. I keep picturing him suddenly scrabbling at the sill... How awful!

Kitty went back to the vet last night because he had begun to swell so they recasted him. He's back again tonight because he hadn't peed yet. Patti hadn't planned on taking him in, but I freaked her out because I was so concerned about him not having gone yet. They're going to express his bladder. They don't think there's anything wrong though - apparently they think he's just not sure how to go with the cast on...

I do hope he's ok. I'm being a TOTALLY overprotective mom at the moment!

loopoo March 31st, 2008 09:16 PM

oh yikes i hope the poor kitty recuperates okay:fingerscr:goodvibes: thats horrible please let us know