Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes for humans (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Healthy garbanzo & beet spread (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65402)

ancientgirl September 4th, 2009 09:19 AM

Healthy garbanzo & beet spread

This is VERY easy to make.

Ingredients

13oz can Garbanzo beans (chick peas) - drained
5.5 oz can beets - drained
1/4 cup Nori (any kind of seaweed)
less than 1/4 cup of part skim ricotta cheese
1 tbsp lite Caesar dressing.

Toast the seaweed for about 6-7 minutes in a 350 oven. Don't toast too long or it will be bitter. When crispy, take out and crush.

In a food processor pulse the garbanzo's and beets. When they are mixed but still chunky, take out half of the mix and put in a bowl. To the mix still in the processor add the seaweed, dressing and ricotta cheese and blend until smooth.

Add the smooth to the chunky mix in the bowl. I do this to give it a little texture.

The seaweed is salty, so you don't need to add extra salt. You can substitute the seaweed with a can of tuna. I used to make it with tuna, but since going veg, I don't eat fish, and the seaweed gives this a bit of a fishy flavor I like.

This is really easy to make, not expensive. The most expensive ingredient for me was the seaweed, and I was able to purchase a small bag at Whole Foods for $3.99. I got the cheapest bag.

I spread this on tortillas, crackers and toasted bread. I'm even thinking I can make appetizers with these by putting them in little puff pastry shells. :D

onster September 19th, 2009 03:11 PM

sounds great AG...i have some extra nori from last time i made sushi...i think ill give it a try :thumbs up

TwinTails September 19th, 2009 03:15 PM

Mmmmm....ok I know what I am buying this week :D

ancientgirl September 19th, 2009 03:49 PM

I hope you guys like it. It's really yummy on some crusty bread.

chico2 September 19th, 2009 03:51 PM

Aww AG,it sounds just awful:laughing:but if you like it and it's healthy,good for you:thumbs up

ancientgirl September 19th, 2009 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;827313]Aww AG,it sounds just awful:laughing:but if you like it and it's healthy,good for you:thumbs up[/QUOTE]

:laughing:Yeah, I know the beets might be a little icky for some. But, you can always substitute them with something else, or leave them out all together.

TwinTails September 19th, 2009 05:40 PM

You could use spinach instead of beets (if you don't like them, lol). I'm already thinking of what else I could put into it ;)

Macomom September 19th, 2009 05:41 PM

I love beets! I will give it a try :) Where do we send the Michelin star?

ancientgirl September 19th, 2009 05:54 PM

Yes, you can experiment with the veggies. I love beets so I've never had a need to find a substitute. The tuna gives it a really yummy flavor, but I now use the seaweed because it's the only substitute I could find that would give me that fishy flavor.

And that star can come on down to Miami, F. L. A. :D

TwinTails September 19th, 2009 06:29 PM

I often crave beets and tuna like mad, so this will be sooo good to eat :D

chico2 September 20th, 2009 03:39 PM

A-G,it's not the beets,I like beets and Chick-peas,it's the see-weed I have a problem with:laughing:

hazelrunpack September 20th, 2009 03:59 PM

hazel loves beets and the ricotta cheese would be okay...but madame hazel wouldn't allow the rest of the recipe to cross our lips... :o :laughing: She's not fussy...just stubborn! :rolleyes:

ancientgirl September 20th, 2009 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;827569]A-G,it's not the beets,I like beets and Chick-peas,it's the see-weed I have a problem with:laughing:[/QUOTE]

OH! You can leave it out totally, or you can add tuna. The first time I had it, it was just beets, chick peas and tuna. My adaptation is just trying to find a totally veg alternative.:D

Frenchy September 20th, 2009 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;822203]This is VERY easy to make.

[/QUOTE]
Maybe .... but I wouldn't want to :yuck:

:laughing:

the important thing is that YOU like it :thumbs up
[QUOTE=TwinTails;827358]I often crave beets and tuna like mad, [/QUOTE]

Really ? I think it's time for a pregnancy test :D

onster September 20th, 2009 05:26 PM

wait..do most people not like beets?????

how??!?

beets are amazing!!!! I never tried them out of a can...but mmmmm beeeeets :D

the only thing im unsure bout here is the nori :p sushi was an aquired taste for me.

TwinTails September 20th, 2009 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;827622]Really ? I think it's time for a pregnancy test :D[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ancientgirl September 20th, 2009 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=onster;827626]wait..do most people not like beets?????

how??!?

beets are amazing!!!! I never tried them out of a can...but mmmmm beeeeets :D

the only thing im unsure bout here is the nori :p sushi was an aquired taste for me.[/QUOTE]

It's best made with tuna, but the nori is the only way I can give it that fishy taste I like.