Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   This is just bugging me! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19100)

Copper'sMom August 30th, 2005 12:16 PM

This is just bugging me!

My apologies in advance and I'm not trying to stir up the pot, but I find these two quotes somewhat conflicting. Maybe someone can clarify them for me??

[QUOTE]we bred her because we allready have homes for the majority of the puppies. people saw or dog and wanted to know if we were going to breed her so we did. and now the puppies will have very good homes.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]as for mating her so young it was an accident. we didnt realize that she could get our bedroom door open and we left for a little while when we came home patches and king were locked together. we could not stop it. plus the vet told us she would be okay because she is very healthy and very intelligent. She is very well behaved if she trusts you. and all our pits are wonderful dogs and would not hurt a soul unless told to.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is she was bred because people wanted her puppies, but yet it was an accident?? :confused:

[QUOTE]plus the vet told us she would be okay because she is very healthy and very intelligent.[/QUOTE] What does intelligence have to do with having puppies?

[QUOTE]all our pits are wonderful dogs and would not hurt a soul unless told to[/QUOTE]
Pits are not by nature, guard dogs. They love company of humans. No doubt that if their master was in danger, they would intervene. I don't understand why people would train them to attack? When people live in bad neighbourhoods and own these dogs, if the dogs do attack it is the dog that suffers the consequences! :confused: If you love your dogs, why put them in a situation like that?

I read this person wants to do rescue work and that is absolutely fantastic! But it is my belief that people in rescues don't breed their dogs - ever!

I don't know, maybe I am blowing this way out of proportion??

Blaze01 August 30th, 2005 12:45 PM

Live and let die...

StaceyB August 30th, 2005 12:47 PM

I noticed but I chose at the time not to call her on it.
Was it planned or was it an accident. I would lean towards planned. I was happy to hear that she plans to correct her mistakes. I hope she follows through.
Dogs are natural protectors. They do not need to be taught. Those who are can't be trusted. All a dog needs to do is alert. If someone comes into your home to kill you and your dog attacks them, you are still legally responsible for the damage your dog causes to this person.
Be very careful when placing beware of dog signs on your property. If your dog is known to be aggressive, fine but if they are not don't put them there. Any dog can bite if something happens like the dog has been hurt or scared. If this dog had otherwise been very social before this and you had a sign it says that you already know that your dog was aggressive. You are responsible regardless but the sign doesn't help you to fight your case.

heidiho August 30th, 2005 02:16 PM

Yipee I Am With U On That Thread,hence The Troll I Put There,thought I Was The Only One Who Noticed That It Did Not Make Sense,,

BMDLuver August 30th, 2005 02:58 PM

Bottom line is if it's not a troll then maybe the dog will at least have a safe birth and the OP will know if there is a complication as it will be out of the normal range. What's done is done, basically.. frustrating as that is to many of us.

Luvmypit August 30th, 2005 03:22 PM

Alrighty chillax people I think happycats just meant that she realized something fishy and chose not say anything. If you all would have jumped all over her then how would the dogs have been helped.

I dont think she is a :troll: I think that maybe she was asked a million questions and maybe even realized what she did was wrong and then made up the story about an accident to at least make her less at fault. Human nature. Who cares as long as she means what she says now that she will not be making the same mistakes.

Lets give the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best.

happycats August 30th, 2005 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=Luvmypit]Alrighty chillax people I think happycats just meant that she realized something fishy and chose not say anything. If you all would have jumped all over her then how would the dogs have been helped.

I dont think she is a :troll: I think that maybe she was asked a million questions and maybe even realized what she did was wrong and then made up the story about an accident to at least make her less at fault. Human nature. Who cares as long as she means what she says now that she will not be making the same mistakes.

Lets give the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best.[/QUOTE]

AMEN TO THAT LUVMYPIT and thank you for seeing my post for what it was!!

Tigger August 30th, 2005 04:36 PM

Please note some quotes have been removed. Apologize for any incongruity in posts now.

Karin August 30th, 2005 09:34 PM

What If's. What if by chance someone really does need help and education? What if that person cannot word their voice or get their point across as well as you guys can? I omitted myself because I am lousey at doing just that most of the time.
What if this is a common practice to do what the poster is doing? It is where I come from, instead of argueing we help. I've never seen a vet turn them away. Most vets will even IA dogs of any age or breeding stock.

Why are so many trolling questions being raised about one poster?

Shoot first, ask questions later.

Geez guys, look at your own humble beginnings. Heidi....remember me when you first joined?

Joey.E.CockersMommy August 30th, 2005 09:50 PM

I can only speak for myself I definatley remember my humble beginnings. I never let my dog have puppies. But I did rehome my first dog a malamute that liked to escape. So I did learn something here even if it was rough in the beginning I cant change whats already done but can only do my best from now on. I realise all the dogs that are homeless and rescue workers are working so hard to find them homes.

I think its best to respond postively and let them stick around that way people can learn and in turn educate others. Thats just my opinion.

mona_b August 30th, 2005 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=StaceyB]
Be very careful when placing beware of dog signs on your property. If your dog is known to be aggressive, fine but if they are not don't put them there. Any dog can bite if something happens like the dog has been hurt or scared. If this dog had otherwise been very social before this and you had a sign it says that you already know that your dog was aggressive. You are responsible regardless but the sign doesn't help you to fight your case.[/QUOTE]

The sign doesn't need to mean you have an aggressive dog.The sign is warning people that there is one in the home.And will protect the home.I have a sign up.And always have with dogs I have had.No they are not or have they been aggressive.People are actually advised to have a sign put up.Heck a friend of mine has 2 Bichons and a Bichon mix,she has a sign up.As for the sign not helping you fight your case,you'd be surprised as to how much it could and can help.

Copper'sMom August 31st, 2005 09:38 AM

I am very sorry I brought this up. I didn't mean to cause any problems. Maybe I'm just totaly confused as to what is going on. Some people want help with their pets and they are told to take them to a vet and the thread is locked.

I have read people being jumped on for buying a puppy in a pet store - even though they said they knew it was supporting a puppymill but yet at the same time, in their eyes, they were "rescuing" the pup. Then everyone proceeds to attack that person for supporting byb's and puppymills. And now someone is asking for help with birthing of their byb pups and everyone is more than obliged to help. My point here is -people are trying to do the right thing but yet one poster gets trampled on and the other doesn't :confused: I guess this is what is confusing me. I guess I feel like in a way, we are contributing to this byb having their pups. Regardless, the viscious cylce continues of having pups and they end up in shelters or they actually do get a good home. But like Karin said, What If.

happycats August 31st, 2005 10:06 AM

I feel the same way copper, and don't feel bad, problems here came from someone who misinterpreted my deleted post.

My sarcasm and "Whining" were directed towards the the byb, and not this board! It just floored me, that the byb breeder was treated with more respect and kindness then I was!!??

Oh well, all I really care about, is that "maybe" the byb has been educated, and will from now on S/N her pets!

heidiho August 31st, 2005 10:11 AM

Yeah i do remember.....But some stories really dont sound right..

BMDLuver August 31st, 2005 11:52 AM

[url]http://www.angelfire.com/nj2/training1/byb.html[/url]

Thought this was an interesting read.

[url]http://www.enter.net/~edlehman/how%20to%20buy%20dog.html[/url]

This one also points in the right direction.

Blaze01 August 31st, 2005 12:27 PM

I didnt respond to the post we are speaking of but I thought it went well. Personally I think the OP went away with alot of information about s/n without being flamed. Alot of people dont understand what a big deal pet store puppies and byb breeders are. I didnt before I found this site and now that I know I think its my obligation to let people I know know.
When I thought I was going to have to declaw Blaze people were horriable to me telling me I didnt care for my cat like I should and that I didnt fully love him. After the fact I had several PMS from people telling me they understood my situation and even though it wasnt the best thing to do they would do the same.
Yes the OP was wrong and maybe her story didnt completely add up but she learned alot...isnt that the purpose here?

StaceyB August 31st, 2005 12:55 PM

From what I have noticed, how a thread turns out depends on how they respond. This may not be for all of them but I think it happens in most.

Writing4Fun August 31st, 2005 01:00 PM

Re: her story not adding up...I took it to mean they intended to breed their dog, but it happened earlier than expected, hence being referred to as "an accident".

As for being confused about how different threads are being reacted to differently...I think this is a result of the new direction the board is heading in, everyone trying to "play nicely". ;) Is it a good direction? I dunno. IMHO, anyone wanting advice on their pregnant animal should be politely referred to a vet and the thread closed. Any other reaction - positive or negative - isn't going to help. A negative reaction is going to send the person away in a huff. A positive reaction is going to give new members or visitors the impression that this is a pro-breeding forum. Also, if there's something wrong with the dog, and we're all giving well-meaning advice but the dog ends up having complications because the poster couldn't/didn't give a very clear indication of what's really going on, is that really helping?

Sorry, that's just my $0.02.

Joey.E.CockersMommy August 31st, 2005 02:10 PM

I dont think we gave this person that we are a pro breeding forum at all. I think its way better to be nice and state the facts than get jumped all over. Now this person may stay around and continue to get educated on this matter even further. She may even educate others as well. :)

Writing4Fun August 31st, 2005 02:27 PM

She might, or she might not. Others who are just "passing through" might come in here and think that this is a great place to get breeding information. I'm not saying it's right to jump all over people, but I also don't think it's right to give them advice on something as potentially dangerous (to the dog's health) as breeding. Just like if the dog is bleeding or vomiting, the person is referred to a vet and the thread is closed. I think breeding questions should be handled the same way. That's all. ;)

heidiho August 31st, 2005 02:46 PM

I am with u,writing4fun... :thumbs up :thumbs up

StaceyB August 31st, 2005 02:50 PM

We hope she does get it. Anyone reading this thread will see from the posts how the majority feel about breeding dogs that shouldn't be bred/spay and neuter. I also think that she has been advised to seek vet help. If we question giving help for this then we could also do the same for almost everything else that is asked. I believe that nobody gave any type of advice that could be harmful in that thread.
I think that we can all agree that none of us want to promote BYB's/puppy mills/pet stores or stupid decisions/accidents and if any dog/animal is not acting normal they should be examined by a vet.

Blaze01 August 31st, 2005 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=Joey.E.CockersMommy]I dont think we gave this person that we are a pro breeding forum at all. I think its way better to be nice and state the facts than get jumped all over. Now this person may stay around and continue to get educated on this matter even further. She may even educate others as well. :)[/QUOTE]

I agree...the dog was already going to have puppies...maybe she will read some of the horror stories on here or learn how dangerous it is and understand what she is doing wrong. She was told it was not right to not spray/neuter her pet...she promised to have it done and I think but not sure that she was going to get the puppies altered to...

Joey.E.CockersMommy August 31st, 2005 03:34 PM

writing for fun=
[QUOTE]I'm not saying it's right to jump all over people, but I also don't think it's right to give them advice on something as potentially dangerous (to the dog's health) as breeding. [/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you we can only tell her our opinions and personal experience with breeding. Something which I know little about. One of the reasons I choose not to do it (not to mention adding to the dog population) Absolutley nothing would take the place of vetrinary care and advice when it comes to her dog having the pups. Perhaps this should have been stressed more in the thread than it was.

I think we can think of these type of posts as "oh no not another one" or "how can we educate this person about the consequences of breeding" so they will stay and understand without feeling jumped upon.

mona_b August 31st, 2005 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=Writing4Fun]She might, or she might not. Others who are just "passing through" might come in here and think that this is a great place to get breeding information. I'm not saying it's right to jump all over people, but I also don't think it's right to give them advice on something as potentially dangerous (to the dog's health) as breeding. Just like if the dog is bleeding or vomiting, the person is referred to a vet and the thread is closed. I think breeding questions should be handled the same way. That's all. ;)[/QUOTE]

:highfive:

Great links BMD.... :thumbs up