Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   liver problems in older poodle (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=1349)

SHARONPARRISH May 7th, 2003 04:01 PM

liver problems in older poodle

Can anyone shed some light on liver problems in a 9 year old poodle.

Meg May 21st, 2003 03:23 PM

Im not exactly sure what your asking. I can tell you that my dog that recently died had probable liver cancer. I say probable becasue without doing the tests all the symptoms led to that dx. All winter she was lazy and focourse I thought it was normal due to the amount of snow we got. She stated leaking abit of water. I say water because it did not look like urine as it was clear. I took her to the vet and they did some blood and urine tests. The results showed levels of biliruebens meaning she had sludge in the opening of her liver. She was put on an antibiotic that was to clear this up along with any infections that might show up in other tests they were doing. She continued to get worse. She was barely eating and now the leaking was yellow and constant and alot more. I had a hard time keeping her washed up s she smelled like urnine. I forgot to say she was a female german shepard, very beautiful smart dog. One morning my boys found her in the bathroom very weak and thirsty. I took her again to the vet, many trips we had made but this was the saddest as he told me she was hemmoraging inside from the liver. There was nothign they could do only prescribe another med for her. I brought her home and she wouldnt take this med she would spit it out. All week she continued to go down hill. On friday she hemmoraged again this time bringing up her water, she was not eating she was starving herself being so brave for me. She knew how much I needed her being disabled and sick myself. She looked after me and always so faithful to me.My one son was home with that day and we decided it was time to put her to rest. Im crying as I write this I miss her so much, she was my best friend. She was only 6 and half years old , it just wasnt fair that she was to be taken so young. If you suspect anything to do with the liver please get her tested right away. I hope your dog doesnt have anything that isnt too erious and can be looked after with medication. All my best

SHARONPARRISH May 22nd, 2003 11:14 AM

Meg,
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My poodle is my best friend and companion. My vet was really at the end of his wits trying to help him and we were going to have to make a hard decision the next day, do to billirubin building up in his system and the liver not seeming to function. But that same evening my vet had made one last evening check and found (of all things) that he had thrown up a nylon knee high stocking!! It was laying in his cage. He rapidly improved and the next night when I came to see him he actually jumped into my arms IV and all.

He is doing well now and I am just so thankful that he is back home with us.

My Best and God Bless
Sharon

Meg May 22nd, 2003 05:30 PM

Sharron I am so thankful that you friend is now doing so well. We love our pets very much and get very attached. I hope you are able to enjoy your pet many more years yet to come. Of all things a nylon, I guess we really do need to be careful of what we lay around. Years ago my inlaws dog got into my purse where I had my pregnacy vitamins and gravol just opened so not many used yet and the dog ate everyone of them.They had child proof tops on them but she got them opened. It ended in an emergency trip to the vet with her stomache beigng pumped. I always made sure I put my purse "up" after that incident. Incase you are wondering where I was , I was napping at the time. She didnt seem sick but after finding what she did I didnt want to take any chances as she ingested ALOT.