Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dominant puppy... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55756)

ashtoreth August 23rd, 2008 06:18 PM

Dominant puppy...

Well It seems Titus is dominant... he's alright with us, but with other dogs, I'm afraid he might become mean.

Anyway I can help against that?

in case you don't know
hes a 9 weeks old Husky puppy

Chaser August 23rd, 2008 08:27 PM

Puppies tend to play REALLY rough, and that's likely all it is at his young age. The best thing you can do is continued socialization and puppy classes. Dogs teach each other how to play nice and correct each other when one gets out of line. Introduce your pup to as many dogs as you possibly can (but be weary of strange dogs until 16 weeks when he has all his shots!). Socialization is vital for puppies and it's the ones who grow up isolated in a backyard and don't play with others that end up with dog aggression.

Just move forward with the socialization and your pup will learn what he needs to from the other dogs. If he gets really out of line as he gets older, you should intervene and separate him from the other dogs, telling him he needs to be gentle, and put him in a sit or down until he is more calm.

ashtoreth August 23rd, 2008 09:23 PM

yea, I'll socialize him more , we're going back to see some friends tomorrow who have dogs, this should help

jessi76 August 25th, 2008 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=ashtoreth;645433]Well It seems Titus is dominant... he's alright with us, but with other dogs, I'm afraid he might become mean.[/QUOTE]

it almost sounds like you're expecting this, maybe looking TOO deeply into his behavior, and/or anticipating the worst. pups can be over-exuberant at times, they can play rough, they nip, snarl and are defiant... but they're pups, they're learning. socializing is certainly key, as is constant positive training at this age. Keep socializing, and give Titus time to learn the ropes. My dog had definite days where he seemed to "bully" the other pups in playschool... but once he learned how to play nicely, he was a big sweetie.

TwoLostSouls August 26th, 2008 05:46 PM

Never tolerate aggression

[QUOTE=ashtoreth;645433]Well It seems Titus is dominant... he's alright with us, but with other dogs, I'm afraid he might become mean.

Anyway I can help against that?[/QUOTE]

Dominant dogs are dominant in their home packs. Your dog is "alright with us" probably because it dominates "us". You should begin by asserting yourself and other humans as the pack leaders before you attempt to socialize it with other dogs or its dominance might continue with the other dogs and fights and injuries could result. When socializing your dog with other dogs, your immediate attention and care should be given

No aggression should ever be tolerated from a puppy. Though you might think it's cute, it's enabling your dog to be the dominant pack leader and will literally come back to bite you.

Also, as someone else has noted, expecting your dog to do something can easily result in your dog performing the expected behaviour. You should always go out with the attitude that your dog will not do what you don't allow it to do. You must be in charge. Anything less will give you unwanted results. Stay calm and assertive.