Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Treating our dog at home (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76424)

oletrout April 12th, 2011 10:47 AM

Treating our dog at home

I was referred here by a friend and desperately need some help before my poor wife goes off the deep end.Our dog Willy has been quite normal up to now and was eating and drinking normally and full of energy. My wife was convinced by someone to feed him raw rabbit, chicken etc??? and started feeding it to him about a month ago.

A week ago Sunday we took WILLY TO THE VET BECAUSE HE HAD STARTED COUGHING AND GAGGING UP WHITE FOAM. sOMETIMES HE WOULD COUGH A LITTLE AND THEN IT STARTED TO BE LONG BOUTS -LIKE A COUPLE OF HOURS. Vet administered an anti inflammatory to help with his trachea which at first the vet thought mite be a collapsed (collapsing) or parasites. He gave him a shot? and prescribed Vanectyl P. The next day he was a bit better and then suddenly turned worse and we took him back to Emerg this past Sat. So far he has been suffering for a week.

Took him to emerg again on Sat and got him home last night and he went straight to his bed and we've only seen him COUPLE OF TIMES WHEN HE WANTED TO pee.

Vet says that several xrays show the trachea is ok, but still inflamed a bit from all the strain on it the past while.The coughing -SO FAR-is gone and we have to continue treating it with pills. He also has a parasite? and possibly worms. He finally passed a small stool and the vet says he found a small white worm and a "casing" from a hatch of something.Vet started treating him there at the hospital for both with heavy doses (injection)to start the treatment.So now--we not only have PILLS but also liquid de-worming to squirt into him for the next 10 days (Panacur). That's almost IMPOSSIBLE. He won't come near us . He's still pretty doped I think from the vet stay but runs and cowers when we approach him. I think cuz he's just wore out and now a bit scared.

This AM he is cowering and hiding from us and refuses ANYTHING we try to give him his pill with from treats, steak ,ham peanut butter and cheese. He turns and scurries away.

Got a question for the pet owners who have gone thru such stuff with their animals. I don't want to go against the vet's advice--BUT,Because he is so wore out from a week+ of violent coughing, not eating or drinking (very little) and a traumatic separation from us into the vet environment , do you think it would be ok for us to just leave him alone for TODAY and not try to force the meds on him and hope he'll be in a better frame of mind tomorrow?? Vet says he has given him injections and he's got the "bugs" in him on the run and the 10 day "assault" he has outlined will get everything back to normal. I'm just wondering if that one day break will do more harm than good??

Thank you for any replies:)

mummummum April 12th, 2011 11:07 AM

I would not. The life cycle of eggs to worms needs a "full frontal assault" to be fully effective. Did the vet suggest anything to settle / coat his tummy? My last guy wouldn't be pilled etc. I found cooking up liver and pureeing it was a very effective way to hide liquid meds and pills.

Rgeurts April 12th, 2011 12:00 PM

Hi oletrout,

Sorry to hear you are having such trouble with your pup. I, personally, would not deviate at all from the schedule/meds. The liver suggestion is excellent. I have 2 boys that require many meds daily, and they're both large (one is 81 lbs the other 110 lbs). The liver is almost irresistable to them. Once in awhile, the 110 lb boy will not take anything. He has both pills and liquids to take twice daily. If you get a small syringe and just open his lip, slide it to the back (the inside of his cheek) and slowly push the plunger so he doesn't choke or inhale, he should be ok. That's the only way we can get the liquids in ours. If we just try to hold him and open his mouth, it's fighting a losing battle :laughing:
Though not everything works for every dog, it may be worth a try at least.
If the vet hasn't given him anything to settle his tummy, ask him about using Sulcrate. It has worked miracles in getting our one to eat and not vomit. It coats the tummy, but can't be given within an hour before/after eating/meds. We would give it 2 hours prior, then he would eat and take his meds without any problems. Good luck :)

reanne April 12th, 2011 02:44 PM

Rguerts has the right idea with liquid meds, that is the easiest way to do it! It's how you deworm a horse. The liver is a good idea, or find something else that is doggie delicious that he just wont' be able to resist-you might have to branch out from your usual treats.
Also, spend some time with him that is NOT giving him meds. Seek him out and cuddle him up, reassure him. That will probably help.
As said, I would not deviate from the worming schedule. Medications to treat any type of invasive organism (antifungals, antibiotics, anti-parasitics) should be administered on schedule, especially because stopping midtreatment and starting again, or stopping early, can create superbugs/superparasites!
Good luck, and hope your doggie is recovered soon.
Was the inflammation from eating the raw food? Was he swallowing pieces of bone that were large? As far as raw diets go, there is nothing wrong with them if they work for your dog. Some dogs do swallow pretty large pieces of bone (my male included) so should be supervised when chewing knuckle bones, etc.

oletrout April 18th, 2011 07:28 PM

Since my first post on April 12 things have improved. We kept at it and finally got to giving him the Panacur every day since. We have given the vet updates and he says all should be ok.

He is still passing clear gel like "eggs" (kinda look like rice except bulbous and clear,and today alnog with the eggs he passed what looks like a "casing" of some sort. Vet sasy the meds are doing what they are supposed to do.

What I forgot to ask him was about drinking excessively, eating more than normal, urinating big time about every 2 hours and many times more frequently than that and excessive panting (in a cool environment). I am wondering if this could be caused by the Panacur and/or Vanectyl P. Seems logical , as it would appear as if his system is flushing itself.He's only got 3 more days of it and the meds stop and if the eggs/worms? are cleared upthe vet wants to see him in 3 weeks. Sooner if we continue to see the same type stools.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

oletrout April 18th, 2011 07:30 PM

P.S.

I forgot to say THANK YOU for your replies. They were greatly appreciated and re-assuring.

Cheers

luckypenny April 18th, 2011 07:46 PM

How are you administering the Panacur? I mean dosage-wise for how many days?

oletrout April 18th, 2011 11:07 PM

Hi luckypenny.

He has been treated with4ml from a small syringe once a day. One more dose and that will be what was prescribed-10 days. The Vanectyl P he has started a weaning off with 3 more days given every second day.