Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Movies - T.V. - Videos (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Hero - Mandarin with English subtitles (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14471)

marko April 26th, 2005 11:52 AM

Hero - Mandarin with English subtitles

I just wanted to recommend Hero with Jet Li.

This movie is superb!!!! I have been told it is similar to Flying Tiger Crouching Dragon which i have not seen, but nonetheless it's EASILY an 8/10.

It is the story of a master swordsman in ancient China. Although there are quite a few fight scenes (shot with absolute grace and beauty) i would classify this film as a Drama with action instead of simply an action film as the 'critics' call it.

My only complaint about the film is that it is subtitled and the subtitles don't stay on the screen long enough IMO.

Aside from that I would go as far as saying that this film is a cinematic masterpiece....and if you get a chance to see it on the big screen...GO!

raingirl April 26th, 2005 12:27 PM

it's also been dubbed in english, you just have to look around for it.

I'm a big asian movie fan. I liked hero, as well a well as crouching tiger. The one coming outin theatres (can't remember the name) I've already seen. I just rent them from the local asian video store.

I once saw an asian movie, but never got the name. It was about a girl spy, and how a neighbour thinks she is being abused but it's just her job...I wish I knew the name of it.

Princesss04 April 26th, 2005 12:31 PM

Oh Marko that was a great movie! :D

mesaana April 26th, 2005 12:35 PM

I saw it too. It's really good.

But dubbed??? Come on, it's much better subtitled than dubbed! I hate dubbed movies. Always go for the subtitled version of all films not in French or English originally.

I saw Downfall (Der Untergang in German, La Chute in French) last week, in original German and subtitled. It is a really excellent film. If you are at all interested in WWII, you must see it. And I'd like to point out that I'm no war buff... It's about the end of the war, in the bunker with Hitler. It's based on a book written by his secretary.

Lyne

nymph April 26th, 2005 12:45 PM

Hero is pretty, that's all I can say. There is not much story involved, and the characters and dialogues were laughable. House of Flying Daggers is even worse, the ending scenes were pretty too, but that was about it.

Director Zhang Yimou used to be such a serious artist, now he has gone completely commercial.

nymph April 26th, 2005 01:25 PM

I do want to recommend 2 other movied by Zhang Yimou:

[i]The Road Home[/i]: a beautifully shot love story, music was nice too. Zhang Ziyi, the lead actress was still young and cute in this movie. I watched the DVD but did not pay much attention to the translation.

[i]To Live[/i]: this is almost like a history lesson being taught through the lives of ordinary people, very touching, and both the lead actor/actress gave an outstanding performance. It was a very simple, non-pretentious movie with a big universal theme: to live, through happy times and mostly terrible times. The author of original novel, Yu Hua, has been widely regarded as the successor of Kafka in China. This movie transcends time and space.

Trinitie April 26th, 2005 01:44 PM

IMO - I didn't like Hero that much. I found it a bit on the slow side. Now, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was awesome!

Prin April 26th, 2005 01:48 PM

I loved Hero. I found it very poetic. The images were beautiful. :)