Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Odd issues with peeing (Nookie Monster) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80836)

Rgeurts April 21st, 2012 11:14 AM

Odd issues with peeing (Nookie Monster)

For about a month now (just after one of his seizures), Nookie has had early morning issues with peeing. My MIL will take him for a walk, then bring him back upstairs. As soon as she shuts the door, he will do his "potty run" around the bedroom and I'll have to get up and run him downstairs so he can pee again. This goes on every 10-15 minutes for the first hour he is up, then it's normal pees every few hours after. He has a real urgency the first few times (like he has a bladder infection). Now he does have a bladder infection currently, and has been on antibiotics since Monday night. The frequent peeing and urgency started up again after his seizure last Thursday, but was constant throughout the day, so we knew he had an infection. About 3 days in to the antibiotic, the frequency during the day (and night) went back to normal, but he is still doing it every morning, several times for the first hour or so. If it was the infection still doing it, shouldn't it be constant, and not just in the morning? Have any of you ever had an issue like this? I did talk to Dr. Marsden on our last visit (a week ago yesterday) and he switched his herbs up again for the seizures and watery eyes, but he never really mentioned the early morning peeing issues. I do have another appt. next Tuesday, but was hoping someone may have had an issue like this before (but seeing as it's Nookie, probably not lol) so I can ask Dr. Marsden about it again. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

will2power April 21st, 2012 11:39 AM

I've never experienced anything like that, Robyn. Could it have something to do with his urine maybe being a bit more concentrated in the morning? Does he get up to pee through the night? Ah, if only our babies could talk. :confused:

growler~GateKeeper April 21st, 2012 08:15 PM

Duffy was the only pet I've had with a UTI and the symptoms were consistent throughout the day.

During these frequent peeing episodes in the first hour how much volume is he peeing?

Is he just pee marking when out for the walk in morning or having a bladder emptying pee?

Does it make a difference how late his last pee of the night is?

Seems to never end with Nookie :( :grouphug: :goodvibes:

Goldfields April 21st, 2012 09:38 PM

X-ray him for bladder stones if you haven't already, Robyn. They can have trouble off and on when trying to pass small ones, and big ones could temporarily block things. Good luck with it, he must be uncomfortable.

Rgeurts April 21st, 2012 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=will2power;1038428]I've never experienced anything like that, Robyn. Could it have something to do with his urine maybe being a bit more concentrated in the morning? Does he get up to pee through the night? Ah, if only our babies could talk. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I sure wish he could! And nope, he sleeps through the night :shrug:

[QUOTE=growler~GateKeeper;1038445]Duffy was the only pet I've had with a UTI and the symptoms were consistent throughout the day.

During these frequent peeing episodes in the first hour how much volume is he peeing?

Is he just pee marking when out for the walk in morning or having a bladder emptying pee?

Does it make a difference how late his last pee of the night is?

Seems to never end with Nookie :( :grouphug: :goodvibes:[/QUOTE]

He is always going to have issues, we've come to terms with that. Poor little guy :(

When he goes out in the morning he marks a lot, but he also pees. When he does the potty run, the first time after coming in from his walk, it's a good volume. The rest are short little pees. :shrug:

Shaun was up gaming until almost 2 am and took both Nookie and Montana out before he came to bed, but he still got me up at just after 6 :yell:
It doesn't seem to matter how late he goes, he's in a pattern of waking up around 6. I don't know if this is an actual medical issue, or behavioral. He is a bit OCD with certain things and I'm wondering if this going out to pee so often when he first gets up is just a habit now after the seizures, or maybe neurological?

I'm grasping... I just don't know :loser:

They did do a full urinalysis and everything was fine except that he did have a bladder infection.

Thank you for replying :grouphug: :grouphug:

Rgeurts April 21st, 2012 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=Goldfields;1038448]X-ray him for bladder stones if you haven't already, Robyn. They can have trouble off and on when trying to pass small ones, and big ones could temporarily block things. Good luck with it, he must be uncomfortable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks GF! I was actually thinking that as well. It's similar to when Thorin had his stones, but he also had crystals in his urine, which Nookie doesn't. And Thorin didn't have the urgency, just short little bursts when he did pee. Maybe I'll take him for xrays anyway before going to see Dr. Marsden on Tuesday :grouphug:

Goldfields April 21st, 2012 10:25 PM

Silk only had those huge stones, plus small pieces flaking off. But gee, with what mine have had, and yours, I think it's worth an x ray. Worth settling your mind on that score anyway.

MaxaLisa April 30th, 2012 12:17 AM

I haven't a clue about any of this, but I'll just throw a few weird things out...

My boy Max had some ongoing pee issues, and everything checked out fine. Later, when he was on long term antibiotics for another issue, the peeing cleared up?

Sometimes the pee issues can be hormonal, linked to the adrenal gland, don't know if there is any relation there.

Max also had pee issues if he had extra sulfur in his diet, say, in the form of MSM, eggs, garlic, etc.

D-mannose is supposed to be a good supplement for chronic cystitis and pee issues.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on this stuff!