Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Rose of Sharon (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71422)

14+kitties July 11th, 2010 06:50 AM

Rose of Sharon

2 Attachment(s)
As seen through my living room window the other day. Will take some pics of it from the other side soon. With the extended warm weather this year it's open pretty early. Will have to look at the ones in my forgotten front garden too. :o

cpietra16 July 11th, 2010 07:05 AM

:frustrated:expecting to see Rose....:D:eek::laughing::laughing:
sorry, Im not really a gardening person. As soon as I saw Rose I thought you meant Rose.....like our Rose, the real Rose...cuddly Rose...:o

Goldfields July 11th, 2010 10:10 AM

14+, do you know why that particular hibiscus is nicknamed Rose of Sharon? I wondered what people in the States were talking about when I first heard they called a plant that, I'd not heard of it at all. There has to be a story behind it though. It flowers profusely, very nice. I have cuttings in for a pink, a yellow, and a double red hibiscus, they seem easy enough to strike.

chico2 July 11th, 2010 04:08 PM

Goldfields,I have one too,but it's not blooming yet,but I also have 2 Hibiscuses,they are not the same as the Rose of Sharon,probably the same family though.
My Hibiscuses have much larger flowers.

14+,that is really pretty,mine is still in bud-state,soon to bloom.

Melinda July 11th, 2010 05:35 PM

I have a few in my yard also, pink, deep pink and marroon, mom brought them home from kitchener a few years ago and man, do they grow!!! hers is like a giant waterfall, hubs had to weld up a brace (T) to hold it up right, I really love them and yours is very nice

14+kitties July 11th, 2010 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is Wiki's answer to what exactly Rose of Sharon is. It's pretty bang on.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_of_Sharon[/url]

[QUOTE=Melinda;936113]I have a few in my yard also, pink, deep pink and marroon, mom brought them home from kitchener a few years ago and man, do they grow!!! hers is like a giant waterfall, hubs had to weld up a brace (T) to hold it up right, I really love them and yours is very nice[/QUOTE]

There are basically two types of Rose of Sharon's that are popular in this area. The one that nurseries have taken the time to coax into topiaries and the one that almost grows wild here. They don't seem to like the colder weather a few hours away quite as much as they do here. I have a whole row of the "wild" ones in my forgotten garden. Everything from the darkest pink to white. They have not opened yet. The one by my window gets a lot more sun which is why it's opened so early. I love them too.
The outside view. Tons of buds yet to open. :thumbs up
[ATTACH]67376[/ATTACH]

Goldfields July 11th, 2010 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;936105]Goldfields,I have one too,but it's not blooming yet,but I also have 2 Hibiscuses,they are not the same as the Rose of Sharon,probably the same family though.

14+,that is really pretty,mine is still in bud-state,soon to bloom.[/QUOTE]

This is really interesting. I think they still might be just hibiscus to gardeners here but when I go into the gardening forum here I'll ask the girls does anyone call it Rose of Sharon. We have members from all over the country and one lady from Queensland has superb hibiscus of all shades. We love seeing all her tropical plants when down here in the cold States our gardens are pretty drab. Thanks for that link, 14+.

14+kitties July 11th, 2010 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;936105]Goldfields,I have one too,but it's not blooming yet,but I also have 2 Hibiscuses,they are not the same as the Rose of Sharon,probably the same family though.

14+,that is really pretty,mine is still in bud-state,soon to bloom.[/QUOTE]

Yes chico. Same family. My Hibiscus aren't open yet either. But they are growing well. They are both on the small side still. I only planted them last year and not in the best of earth. If I ever get a chance to go work in my gardens they may actually stand a chance of survival. :D

Goldfields July 12th, 2010 10:54 AM

Just found a post on the garden forum that says in Queensland it is hibiscus mutabilis they call Rose of Sharon, which of course is wrong, it is yours 14+ that my Botanica has as Rose of Sharon. I like mutabilis and the way it ages from white through to dark pink, though all hibiscus are lovely.

14+kitties July 12th, 2010 04:40 PM

I think you will find different areas of the world names plants differently. Just because the botanical name or the "nickname" given isn't the same as in other countries doesn't mean it's wrong. That is just what it's called. No biggie. The States have some different names for plants than we do also. You just learn to order by their name when ordering seeds. :shrug:

Goldfields July 12th, 2010 10:04 PM

My friend here did say, about mutabilis .... In other parts I have heard it called Confederate Rose...... and that is what they call it in the Botanica, so off the forum I might tell her which one is the Rose of Sharon. She'd like to know I think, she's in her 70's, has poor health, but a wonderful memory still for botanical and common names of her plants and seems to like to be accurate.

chico2 July 13th, 2010 07:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my Rose of Sharon,when I bought it in 2007,I did not know it was a double white,a pleasant surprise.
Last year it bloomed in August,it will be really early this year,like everything else.