Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Loblaws (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35701)

x.l.r.8 January 23rd, 2007 01:56 PM

Loblaws

Pork shoulder $0.69 /lb. and some kind of fish for £1 /lb which Riley went beserk over :thumbs up So now I'm looking for a new freezer as most of the stuff on sale can go either on our table or on his mat, what we spend in food we save in our own bills, this is getting to be damn easy.

technodoll January 23rd, 2007 02:00 PM

i don't see any of that advertised for the Quebec Loblaws... is this an "ontario only" thing, or a local manager's special? man! i want those prices too! greee :frustrated:

mummummum January 23rd, 2007 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=x.l.r.8;357938]So now I'm looking for a new freezer ...[/QUOTE]

Unsolicited advice on getting another freezer ? I found my side-loading freezer much easier than my old top-loading one. Stuff had a tendency to get buried and forgotten at the bottom of the top-loader.

x.l.r.8 January 23rd, 2007 02:48 PM

Not advertised in the flyers, i was in there picking up some burts bee's stuff (not for me) and it's next to the meat section, I always flirt through seeing if heart and backs are on sale because they usually discount well over 50%, the fish goes straight away but the chicken necks and backs along with hearts and riblets usually become 2 for 1 at the discounted price, thats when I strike and fill up. Unforntunatly just lately it's all been so cheap I have had to walk away leaving half the display case intact :sad: But family oare coming over in 2 weeks so that should clear some room in the freezer :thumbs up

SARAH January 23rd, 2007 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=mummummum;357972]Unsolicited advice on getting another freezer ? I found my side-loading freezer much easier than my old top-loading one. Stuff had a tendency to get buried and forgotten at the bottom of the top-loader.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, no more chest-freezers for me! Only good thing is you could hide a body in it :yuck: but I'm not planning to need that option! The "pantry-type" freezers are much easier ot keep organized.

technodoll January 23rd, 2007 03:01 PM

i truly hate our top-loading freezer :mad: lesson learned, never again... you always have to unload everything to get to that stuff buried at the bottom, what a royal PITA! when we move and have more space for a real freezer, front-loading, it will be a nice gift to ourselves, LOL! :o

erykah1310 January 23rd, 2007 03:07 PM

I have a barrier up in my freezer, I go from left to right with the foods.
use the FIFO method there, ( First in , first out) that way it saves me from digging too much, i just have to dig through one section at a time.:shrug:

Scott_B January 23rd, 2007 03:10 PM

I'll agree to that! :mad:

I have two chest freezers and oh would love love love to get an upright. If i ever get rid of the chest, i'm going upright for sure!

x.l.r.8 January 23rd, 2007 07:39 PM

good to know, i'm was probably going to get another chest one for hiding a body in (most of my neighbours are farmers :thumbs up ) but will rethink everything I have an upright in the kitchen and a small chest freezer in a spare cupboard, and I have to get organised, i want a way to keep foods seperate although I now know to portion the food before I freeze (I have a few 15lb pork roasts that would probably last 2 weeks but need defrosting first, I may take a hacksaw to it to make it more feasable. I don't like uprights but thinking about it if I had 5 shelfs I could do a week a shelf and treats (riblets and necks)/organ on another. The chest could be used for the boxed 'mix' from the local meat packers, hearts and large joints. it could work out well, oh wait what about fish, I like compartments to keep everything at hand and eventually it all ends up as one big mess with me ripping everything out every 2 weeks and reorganising :shrug: I was going to look in my local supershopper and get the cheapest/free one but now I may well look more into this, I have soo much at the bottom of my freezer that really should be consumed, funny how that never happens to icecream :laughing:

technodoll January 23rd, 2007 07:46 PM

[QUOTE] I have soo much at the bottom of my freezer that really should be consumed, funny how that never happens to icecream[/QUOTE]

your doggies get ice-cream? lucky them! :D :laughing: :D

x.l.r.8 January 23rd, 2007 09:45 PM

I heard it's real bad for them, especially the cookie dough! and cappicino frozen youghart so I dare not offer them any, I make sure I scrape out the container just in case and as an extra precaution I lick my bowl clean, you can never be to careful, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: