Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our New Pup - When an adoption from the shelter is just meant to be. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83601)

Pipercats March 9th, 2013 07:14 PM

Our New Pup - When an adoption from the shelter is just meant to be.

Our little girl Cleo crossed the bridge about two months ago. She developed a spinal issue and unfortunately had to be put to sleep. It was one of the hardest decisions we have had to make. Time heals all and the memories will always be with us.

Over the last couple weeks my wife Terri and I have started to check the various local shelter and rescue sites as well as local classifieds just kinda looking to see if there was another pup who would grab our attention and would benefit being a part of our happy herd. We have 5 cats of varying ages as well as an older Maltese - Abby we we adopted from our local shelter 2 years ago.

We went to the shelter when we saw small dogs that may fit our family, however when we got there, they were already adopted (yay for them!) .. While disappointing, Terri's response was simply that "it just wasn't meant to be" ... We put out feelers with rescue workers as well to let them know that we were looking and to keep an eye open for someone who would fit well with us.

Fast forward to this week. Terri went out of town to visit one of her girlfriends ... while there, they went to the local shelter .. there were a couple small dogs, a min-pin type and a little Maltese cross - or possibly a ShihTzu cross. .. The min-pin of course was front and center wanting the attention. The Maltese was calm and content to just sit back a little and see what was happening. Terri talked to the staff there to get more info of course. We found that the adoption fee was a little steep compared to what it is locally so Terri decided to think on it a little. The following day, we decided that yes she could be the one - so we called the shelter and asked them to hold her for us and we would make the normally 1 3/4 drive the next day.

Thursday rolls along - its snowing and blowing - not the greatest conditions but hey .. since when should that stop us right? Umm .. well .. it maybe should have - That 1 3/4hr trip took 3+ hours and at the end there were times we could barely see the road - but we made it to the shelter in one piece thankfully. Even the shelter staff were amazed we made it with the weather the way it was. The adoption process was painless and we had our new baby girl! The drive home was a little less nerve wracking but our new little passenger was pure delight. She watched out the windows for a while then settled in for a nice nap.

When we got home, she settled in like she has lived here all her life. No issues with the cats or with Abby - they were all nose to nose and nose to butt within the first hour with never a hiss, growl or paw thrown in anger. Our crew is pretty mellow and accepting of new family members. Molly (her new name was stretched out on the couch, belly up and napping with about an hour and a half. Come bed time, she came up to bed, snuggled her head by Terri's chin and slept the night away. No problems with her bath when we got home or trimming some of her mats. Just happy to be here. A constant by your side companion, but always willing to engage in a game of fetch when the inspiration comes.

So far -
Gets along with other animals - check
No fear of men or women - check
No behavior problems so far - check
Loves to cuddle - check
Happy to welcome you when you walk in the door - check

Molly was at the shelter as a "stray" it pains me to think that someone - for whatever reason no longer wanted her. It does however make me thankful that we can welcome her into our home. I don't think we could have asked for a better fit into our family that's for sure. My wife Terri sure knows how to pick her puppy - or better yet - for the puppy to pick her.

Molly is 3 - 4 years old and we believe she is a ShihTzu/Poodle cross.

This is a picture that we took today.
[img]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p619/pipercats/Molly_zpse508757a.jpg[/img]

Barkingdog March 9th, 2013 07:38 PM

Congratulations on your new pet! You were lucky the shelter held the dog for you. I know some people that tired to do this too and the shelter would not hold the puppy for them .

Pipercats March 9th, 2013 08:01 PM

We were lucky indeed. I think it may have helped that they knew from talking with Terri the previous day, that we were driving in from out of town.

Barkingdog March 9th, 2013 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=Pipercats;1054937]We were lucky indeed. I think it may have helped that they knew from talking with Terri the previous day, that we were driving in from out of town.[/QUOTE]

My dog Marty was on my lap when I read your post and Marty was checking your dog out! I should add that your dog is lucky too. He is cute.

Goldfields March 9th, 2013 10:28 PM

I wonder why I can't see the photo of your dog? Disappointed, but never mind. Glad you went to that much trouble for Molly, you deserve each other. :)

Pipercats March 9th, 2013 11:55 PM

Here is a direct link if it helps:
[url]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p619/pipercats/Molly_zpse508757a.jpg[/url]

hazelrunpack March 10th, 2013 12:00 AM

So sorry to hear about Cleo, Pipercats :grouphug: :candle:

I think Molly is a lucky little girl to have come your way. And what a doll!!! :lovestruck:

Dog Dancer March 10th, 2013 09:14 PM

So sorry for your loss, but happy for your addition of Molly. It truly was meant to be. :lovestruck:

marko March 11th, 2013 08:03 AM

Molly is a real cutie - Congratulations on getting her!

Jull March 11th, 2013 09:31 AM

:cloud9: Molly is adorable, you are lucky the shelter hold her for you, I know the shelters around my city do not hold pets at all.

Sorry about Cleo :grouphug: I am sure she will be looking after Molly now.

Barkingdog March 11th, 2013 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=Jull;1055003]:cloud9: Molly is adorable, you are lucky the shelter hold her for you, I know the shelters around my city do not hold pets at all.

Sorry about Cleo :grouphug: I am sure she will be looking after Molly now.[/QUOTE]

That is true where I live too, shelters refuses to hold a pet for you as you may not show up and it the poor dog could been adopted by someone else that saw it .

minmin12 March 11th, 2013 12:09 PM

For you

[COLOR="Cyan"][/COLOR]I'm Still Here
Friend, please don't mourn for me
I'm still here, though you don't see.
I'm right by your side each night and day
and within your heart I long to stay.
My body is gone but I'm always near.
I'm everything you feel, see or hear.
My spirit is free, but I'll never depart
as long as you keep me alive in your heart.
I'll never wander out of your sight-
I'm the brightest star on a summer night.
I'll never be beyond your reach-
I'm the warm moist sand when you're at the beach.
I'm the colorful leaves when fall comes around
and the pure white snow that blankets the ground.
I'm the beautiful flowers of which you're so fond,
The clear cool water in a quiet pond.
I'm the first bright blossom you'll see in the spring,
The first warm raindrop that April will bring.
I'm the first ray of light when the sun starts to shine,
and you'll see that the face in the moon is mine.
When you start thinking there's no one to love you,
you can talk to me through the Lord above you.
I'll whisper my answer through the leaves on the trees,
and you'll feel my presence in the soft summer breeze.
I'm the hot salty tears that flow when you weep
and the beautiful dreams that come while you sleep.
I'm the smile you see on a baby's face.
Just look for me, friend, I'm everyplace!

Pipercats March 11th, 2013 08:26 PM

Thanks for the kind thoughts and wishes on Cleo's passing everyone.

Bill