Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dog walks in "U-Shape"? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67299)

OreoJ December 12th, 2009 11:39 AM

Dog walks in "U-Shape"?

Hi, i'm new to this site, but anyway I would like to ask a question-

My Minniature Rat Terrier is probably the weirdest dog you will ever meet, and he does this really weird thing that I never see in other dogs-

When he gets excited or nervous he tends go into a U-shape. Then he actually walks foreward (still in the U-shape) and then does normal dog things (goes in submissive pose, wags his tail, ect.)

So, does anyone know what this is? I'm stumped. :shrug:

rainbow December 12th, 2009 03:08 PM

Welcome to pets.ca OreoJ :thumbs up

Have you taken him to your vet yet? It sounds like it could be an inner ear infection but only your vet could tell for sure. Irregardless, it's best to get something like that checked out asap.

Good luck and please keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

OreoJ December 12th, 2009 08:01 PM

:eek: Never would I have guessed that that would be the problem. I'll make sure to get that checked out then, I just thought it was him being a qwirky little thing, but if it could be related to health then I'll get on it right away!

Thanks again!

Oh, and I'll keep you posted. :D:thankyou:

Bailey_ December 12th, 2009 11:23 PM

It's always a great idea to check out any curious behavior with a vet visit,:thumbs up but in this case because the behavior is only associated with certain emotions, I highly doubt this is an ear infection. Dogs tend to be more tipsy when they have one, compared to bending in a U shape, which seems to be more of a posture related to his emotions compared to anything health concerned.

I've had dogs that would twist their bum right to their nose and wiggle in a complete circle whenever we came home or let them out of their kennels. :D

MyBirdIsEvil December 13th, 2009 02:39 AM

Not sure exactly what you mean by walking in a U shape. If it's what I'm thinking it sounds like it's related more to a submissive posture, where he's basically saying he respects you by not approaching you straight on, tail up, etc., which is a more dominant way to approach a person.

bendyfoot December 13th, 2009 06:08 PM

that sounds very much like a very happy greeting to me...my oldest dog does something very similar...basically folds herself in half with joyful wiggles. Can you record it and post a video?

bendyfoot December 13th, 2009 06:20 PM

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKpyx0_PEMQ&feature=related[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKpyx0_PEMQ&feature=related[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAFtRxN-Z90&feature=related[/url]

ha. Apparently among boxer people, it's called "beaning" :D

ellysmith34 December 14th, 2009 03:50 AM

Hey OreoJ, is your dog doing the same thing as the dogs on the videos from bendyfoot's link? I can see that's a talent LOL...

but if not, I think you better see your vet, vet knows it better...

rainbow December 14th, 2009 03:09 PM

Cute videos but I have never seen a dog do that :o ....learn something new every day. :D

The reason I thought it may be an ear infection is because OreoJ posted in her/his other thread that the dog was aggressive when meeting others and wanted to bite their head off which is not submissive behaviour so I thought perhaps it was in pain. :shrug:

boxerlover2008 December 14th, 2009 03:11 PM

Boxers do this all the time! We call it 'kidney beaning'. Stella (my boxer now) doesn't do it as much, but Shooter (my first) did it every time we came home! She'd get so excited, bend in half and walk around wiggling, and make weird noises that sounded like she was saying wow or meow. LOL

You can always get him checked to be safe, but it sounds 'normal' to me. Maybe he's been hanging around a couple of happy boxers ;)

bendyfoot December 14th, 2009 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow;861020]

The reason I thought it may be an ear infection is because OreoJ posted in her/his other thread that the dog was aggressive when meeting others and wanted to bite their head off which is not submissive behaviour so I thought perhaps it was in pain. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't necessarily associate the "beaning" with submissiveness...it's a greeting, and I would bet my hat that the dogs in the videos don't do it for other dogs, only for "mom" or "dad" or humans they like. The dog in my pack that does a toned-down version of the "bean" (but still folds herself in half :laughing:) is our most dominant dog; it's a greeting she reserves only for humans (she is not human-agressive, but can be agressive towards other dogs).

boxerlover2008 December 14th, 2009 03:51 PM

Shooter only did it for the humans in her life as well. She was also very dominant and dog agressive.

OreoJ December 14th, 2009 04:57 PM

Thanks for the replies

Well, Oreo has been checked and I got good news! No ear problems. Although he still hates other people... And just to help- he pretty much only does it to me, and sometimes my family members. :)

Thanks for the video's, i've never seen other dogs do this so thats why i asked the question.

I'll try to post a video of it if I can..If he does it. You know dogs... will do it unless you actually want them to, then they just cock their head to the side and look at you like "Good luck getting me to do [I]that[/I] :rolleyes:
You gotta love 'em though. :cloud9:

FlamesGirl December 18th, 2009 05:35 PM

My dad's border collie Jake has always done that. The more excited/happy he is to see someone he knows, the more curved his body gets as he runs towards them. Never does it to people he doesn't know, mostly because he likes to ignore strangers. It is the funniest thing to see though. He'll come bounding towards you in a straight line with his body curving first one way, then the other.

I've also read that it's sometimes a submissive body gesture and lord knows Jake is the most submissive dog I've ever met. Maybe a combo of happy/submissiveness?

Melinda December 22nd, 2009 08:00 AM

brina greets us that way with a toy in her mouth