Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Boxer/Pittie X (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50158)

Chris21711 March 5th, 2008 11:59 AM

Boxer/Pittie X

What satisfaction do animal control get from posting a picture of a stray as a Pittie X, when they could just post her as a BoxerX although I think and I'm no expert that she could be a Dane X. Any opinions?

[url]www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10328688[/url]

jiorji March 5th, 2008 12:03 PM

well it's petfinder..i don't think (i HOPE) none of the people on there have malicious views on pitts.

but in shelters, dogs are "mislabelled" ALL the time. Like you can see a tricolored dog that's labelled as a shepherd when clearly it's a Bernese cross.

Love4himies March 5th, 2008 12:30 PM

Maybe that elimates any future liability.:shrug:

pitgrrl March 5th, 2008 12:35 PM

I too would have put that dog as a APBT/Boxer cross. I have two and they look very much like that guy.

I'm personally of the opinion that it's a [I]really[/I] bad idea to intentionally mark a dog as something other than a APBT cross when that is likely the case. With BSL, breed specific traits, attitudes you might encounter in the public, with family and friends, etc. I'd want someone to be d*mn sure they're prepared for everything their signing up for with a pit bull or pit bull cross. In Ontario there's obviously specific of that situation to consider, but it still seems sketchy to knowingly misidentify a dog that is up for adoption.

clm March 5th, 2008 12:45 PM

It may be done to discourage people in areas where there are breed specific bans from applying to adopt the dog.
Better to be safe than sorry. If the dog resembles a pit cross, it could be a death sentence to the poor dog, so mis information or not, it's to the dogs benefit so it doesn't end up in the wrong place.

Cindy

luckypenny March 5th, 2008 01:22 PM

I'd guess she's a Boxer/Pittie cross as well. She looks so much like Pitgrrl's boys :lovestruck: :cloud9: .

I've seen rescues that misidentify breeds as well, so much so as to edit original photos of dogs on their website so they don't resemble Pitties as much :rolleyes: . I totally disagree with that practice. I'm guessing they think it'll increase the chances of adoption but it's not fair to both the dog nor their new family IMO.

pitgrrl March 5th, 2008 01:31 PM

Maybe I should go get her so I can have a matching 3 pack :laughing:

[SIZE="1"]....ofcourse tht would mean no more human boy in bed, he'd have to move to the couch to make room[/SIZE]:evil:

luckypenny March 5th, 2008 01:34 PM

That thought occured to me too. The boys would have a little sister :cloud9: .

You could always shove another bed next to yours for the HB :D . Or maybe the boys will share there's with Dad :D .

pitgrrl March 5th, 2008 01:43 PM

It's a good thing Montreal has a 2 dog limit, because otherwise I'd be really tempted to tell Steve he should start getting used to the dog beds. :laughing:

Must keep repeating: [I]I do not need another set of Boxer health problems, I do not need another set of Boxer health problems, I do not need another set of Boxer health problems, I do not need another set of Boxer health problems...........[/I]

Chris21711 March 5th, 2008 01:52 PM

I guess I just want them to have a fair chance, it seems the way things are here now, especially with Rambo and Munchie :rip: being in the news recently, people will just be turned away from them and then they end up being pts. :cry:

Frenchy March 5th, 2008 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=pitgrrl;558087]Maybe I should go get her so I can have a matching 3 pack :laughing:

[SIZE="1"]....ofcourse tht would mean no more human boy in bed, he'd have to move to the couch to make room[/SIZE]:evil:[/QUOTE]

:lovestruck: she would fit right in :cloud9:

I don't know how big your BF is , but a Queen size bed fits me , 2 goldens and a great dane :D

luckypenny March 5th, 2008 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;558100]I guess I just want them to have a fair chance, it seems the way things are here now, especially with Rambo and Munchie :rip: being in the news recently, people will just be turned away from them and then they end up being pts. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I perfectly understand where you're coming from, Chris21711. But I think their chances would be better if there was full disclosure. I'd hate to see them adopted into a home where they are much loved and cherished just to have what happened to Rambo and Munchie happen to them as well :sad:.

What a rescue [I]can[/I] do to elevate their chances at adoption is to be honest and educate the families who are interested yet hesitant (as long as they don't live in an area with SBL). It's not just PBs... German Shepherds, Rotties, Dobermans, etc all have certain reps as well that make it harder for them to get adopted :shrug: . There [I]are[/I] right homes, it's just finding them that makes the hardest obstacles imo.

Chris21711 March 7th, 2008 10:40 AM

I understand where you are coming from LP and you are right, but this is animal control not a rescue. Georgina Animal Control has a spotty record at best, one day you look on the site and there are 60/70 cats for adoption, two days later there are 10, it just makes me so sad :cry:

I only hope she makes it to adoption, I doubt it though. The law is still not really clear as far as the mixed breeds, then it is left to each agency to interpret it the way they see it.