Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Puppy health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Ugh... here we go again! Nanook... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71058)

Rgeurts June 23rd, 2010 12:03 AM

Ugh... here we go again! Nanook...

Ok, sorry guys. It must seem that I'm the worlds worst "mommy". My husband was trying to fix a leak under the sink. He pulled the garbage can out and I had just cut a cantaloupe in half, then quarted it. There were 4 sections of rhind in the garbage. He grabbed one and basically swallowed it before I could take it from him. So a possible blockage aside, does anyone know if it is harmful? :sick:

Goldfields June 23rd, 2010 01:07 AM

Wouldn't he just digest that? You never know, if it doesn't sit well in his tummy, he may try to vomit it back up again anyway. Hope it doesn't cause any trouble, you've had more than your share already.

Rgeurts June 23rd, 2010 05:11 AM

[QUOTE=Goldfields;930352]Wouldn't he just digest that? You never know, if it doesn't sit well in his tummy, he may try to vomit it back up again anyway. Hope it doesn't cause any trouble, you've had more than your share already.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the response Goldfields. I'm hoping he will. Was more worried whther or not it was toxic. I called the animal hospital. They said it isn't toxic but there is a good possibility he will develop a blockage, so we need to monitor him for the next 48 hours. I'm praying he doesn't! I just can't leave him alone for even a minute.... He lives up to his nickname, Nookie Monster!

pugsrule June 23rd, 2010 08:07 AM

I am hooping that all is well with your dog this am.
when i read your original post, thought you meant your hubby had swallowed the cantalope, and I was thinking WOW he must have been hungry LOL
I need more coffee for sure.
Joan

Rgeurts June 23rd, 2010 10:10 AM

LoL... now that I read my post again I can see how you would think that!! If hubby was the one that did it, he'd deserve whatever happened :D

free June 23rd, 2010 10:49 AM

dont worry too much my lovely beau stole a whole cantelope off the counter and ate 3/4 of i,, he didnt want to be too greedy. he was ok just passed the seeds for days on end

Rgeurts June 23rd, 2010 11:09 AM

Oh! Thank you Free :D
Was so worried about the rhind, and the fact that he almost swallowed it whole (maybe got 2 bites out of it first). I don't mind how long he takes to pass it, as long as it passes!!

BenMax June 23rd, 2010 11:14 AM

If should pass however do monitor.

My old rottie Ben (RIP sweet boy) consumed pins...about 50 of them. They passed AMAZINGLY with all accounted for without injury. Don't ask how that happened but the funny thing was sifting through the poop to count. My brother in law's dog ate a money clip with 500.00$...his dog passed that as well without incident for the dog...but for the BIL - it was a different story...:laughing:

Good luck and keep us updated.

Goldfields June 23rd, 2010 11:20 AM

My first cattle dog pup ripped open a bag of quick setting cement and we didn't know whether she had eaten any.:eek: :eek: I had to give her enough salty water immediately to make her vomit. She was okay, so maybe she hadn't eaten any, but boy, did she scare me! LOL.

Rgeurts June 23rd, 2010 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;930478]If should pass however do monitor.

My old rottie Ben (RIP sweet boy) consumed pins...about 50 of them. They passed AMAZINGLY with all accounted for without injury. Don't ask how that happened but the funny thing was sifting through the poop to count. My brother in law's dog ate a money clip with 500.00$...his dog passed that as well without incident for the dog...but for the BIL - it was a different story...:laughing:

Good luck and keep us updated.[/QUOTE]

LOL... talk about dirty money, eh? :laughing:
What kind of pins did he eat, safety pins? Sifting through for all 50, I can't even imagine!
And yes, I will monitor him close. They said if nothing happens in the next 48 hrs, all is well :fingerscr

Rgeurts June 23rd, 2010 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Goldfields;930480]My first cattle dog pup ripped open a bag of quick setting cement and we didn't know whether she had eaten any.:eek: :eek: I had to give her enough salty water immediately to make her vomit. She was okay, so maybe she hadn't eaten any, but boy, did she scare me! LOL.[/QUOTE]

LOL, wow... I was concerned because Nanook ate a few pebbles (which passed the next morning!). And I was freaked out over a cantaloupe rhind... Quick set cement, I'd have a heart attack for sure :rip:

hazelrunpack June 23rd, 2010 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;930348]Ok, sorry guys. It must seem that I'm the worlds worst "mommy". [/QUOTE]
Puppies are fast--something is [I]always [/I]going to sneak through now and again, so don't kick yourself. :grouphug:

So how is the little devil tonight? Did he ever toss the rind? Still eating, drinking, pooping? :fingerscr

Rgeurts June 23rd, 2010 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;930710]Puppies are fast--something is [I]always [/I]going to sneak through now and again, so don't kick yourself. :grouphug:

So how is the little devil tonight? Did he ever toss the rind? Still eating, drinking, pooping? :fingerscr[/QUOTE]

Yup! He's had 3 normal, solid bowel movements today. He's still got his appetite and is playful and cute. He was watching out the window and enjoying a beautiful thunderstorm with us tonight :D

3 days now without diahrrea. yay!! First time since we've gotten him :party:

TKW June 23rd, 2010 11:38 PM

I know it's not toxic to him but it may be hard to digest. We had a black lab before and he loves fruit. When we fed him cantaloupe, we would find whole chunk of orange colored solids in his poop.

hazelrunpack June 24th, 2010 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;930779]
3 days now without diahrrea. yay!! First time since we've gotten him :party:[/QUOTE]
:highfive: That's great news!!

TeriM June 25th, 2010 12:08 AM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;930779]3 days now without diahrrea. yay!! First time since we've gotten him :party:[/QUOTE]

Great news :thumbs up.