Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dog pees on floor when we put her to bed (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71963)

Pftjim August 12th, 2010 10:32 AM

Dog pees on floor when we put her to bed

We have a 2 yr old ****zu and she is a great dog. The only problem is that she pittles on the floor every night when we try to pit her in the laundry room at night. She also poops in the house still from time to time. HELP!!

Jim

bendyfoot August 12th, 2010 10:39 AM

How do you "put her in the laundry room"? Do you bend over her and scoop her up? Do you give her a command like "time for bed" and let her walk in on her own? Some dogs, especially if they are more submissive or timid, will perceive a bend over/pickup as a dominant gesture, and piddling is the ultimate (polite!) submissive reply. Heightened excitement (similar to like when an owner comes home and greets the dog - this is a common piddle time too) can add to it. If you can train her, using a reward like a yummy treat, to respond to a verbal command and calmly go into her bed on her own, it might help. But then I'm making assumptions about what this evening routine is like for you guys. Details would help! :D

bendyfoot August 12th, 2010 10:41 AM

Forgot about the pooping bit. When does she do this? When you're home? When you're out? Is there a particular place she does it?

BenMax August 12th, 2010 11:57 AM

Could be submissive peeing. A very important question was asked: do you bend over her and scoop her up? Please answer this question and we can assist as this makes a difference.

I recommend not picking her up when putting her to bed if that is what you do. Make this transition 'fun'. Maybe take her favourite toy and say 'bedtime'. Let her walk to her spot. If she does not like toys use a very small treat to entice her. This exercise should be done in an upbeat manner to ensure that she does not submissive pee.

As for doing the #2....well again, please answer the questions asked and we can assist.

Best to you both.
BenMax

Pftjim August 14th, 2010 01:34 PM

sometimes we lean over and scoop her up, but most of the time we call to her in a calm voice and give her a treat when she goes in. The problem is that she has figured that trick out now and most of the time does not want to be put up for the night, so she will hide under the bed, chair, etc...She also many times does not like for us to take her outside and sometimes she doesn't even go when we take her on leash in our front yard. And if there has been any kind of thunder...forget about it. She will not pee at all. Also, she poops without us knowing it in places in our house that she knows we don't frequent very often.

maneater August 16th, 2010 09:53 PM

During the day try to keep her on a leash tied to your waist and take her outside and give her a command like "do your business". I have done this with all my dogs even the chi i got as an older dog who was never outside trained. He was never ever put outside and i got him in the middle of January so you can imagine how much fun that was to try to train him for outside. Maybe you should try a crate instead of putting her in the laundry room and then getting up during the night and let her outside then put her back in the crate? I am no expert but that is just a few tips that have helped me. Also I pretty much blocked off my house with baby gates so that my little dogs could not go out of my site when I was home and they all went in their crate when I was not home. I am just now *after 2 years* letting them have free roam of the house when I am home and when I am not home, not because they are bad dogs and chew/pee but just for their own safety.

Floppy Dog August 17th, 2010 06:40 PM

Peeing can be a submissive behaviour and s*** zu's are very companionable dogs. It could be that your dog is trying to tell you that she doesn't want to sleep in the laundry room, alone and away from every one else. She may be more comfortable and secure sleeping in a crate or kennel in one of the bedrooms or in the foyer between the bedroom doors (if your family sleeps with open doors). That way she will feel like she is part of the family (or "pack", if you will) and will be more secure and confident in her rest.

We have a Cocker Spaniel which is also a breed known for submission peeing and is also a very companionable dog. Lady sleeps in a kennel at the foot of our bed. She's very comfortable there and will go into her kennel as soon as she sees G-Man and me get ready for bed. The only time she'll make any noise is if she needs to go out for a pee (almost never unless she's sick) or is in some form of distress (2 days ago she was too hot in our room). She will be quiet in her kennel all night and will wait for us to let her out in the morning.

Pftjim August 18th, 2010 08:40 PM

great ideas

Those are some great ideas. The problem is that she "submissive" pees almost anytime someone picks her up and I just don't see how that is curable?

JIM:confused: