Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The PBT dumping begins (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8636)

BMDLuver October 23rd, 2004 08:38 PM

The PBT dumping begins

Hi All,
Our rescue received a call today from the 905 area code. It was a guy looking to find a home for his PBT. The problem was that he only wished to get rid of it if we guaranteed that we would not neuter him. This goes against the purpose of rescue. When he was asked why he would not keep his PBT as they were grandfathered and he could do so, his response was he would not allow his PBT to have his f*ing balls chopped off. What would you do in a case like this?

We're afraid that this will just be the beginning of many a phonecall to Quebec area rescues asking for help. We have no problem helping a PBT, we just cannot condone not spaying/neutering. Such a catch 22. I absolutely adore the breed and so do my extremely young daughters. :(

Any thoughts?

NO NO bad dog October 23rd, 2004 09:05 PM

I would verbally agree and then neuter him once he is legally yours. There are people that believe like that but at least you could save his life IMHO

Bugsy October 23rd, 2004 09:11 PM

I agree with NO NO BAD DOG..... Lie :thumbs up

seeker October 23rd, 2004 09:19 PM

It is a tough call to make on one hand you don't want to go against your mandate by not neutering nor do you want to refuse the dog when its owner is asking for help and I guess you don't want to discredit the organization by lying . These are senarios that no one has dealt with before and I really do not know what to say other than to try to pursuade the owner to reconsider.

kigaro October 24th, 2004 01:03 PM

this guy would rather get rid of his dog than fix him :mad:

Akeeter October 24th, 2004 04:12 PM

THis is one of the biggest problems i have with some owners.

:confused: We already know that statistically young male intact dogs of all breeds have the largest number of bites on humans & dog fights. I imagine there are probably a good number of bites from females with puppies near too.

From some of the PB owners I know personally this is one of those emotion over logic things. (IMHO, PB owners are often the last holdouts over N/S. The 'Last Rebels'? Mixing up their dog's sexual idetity with their own? I dunno. I do know though, that it cheeses me off to no end! Esp. when you look at the H.S. & rescues up to HERE :eek: in PBs,/Staffys/& Xbreds.) :mad:
Even when the dog becomes a problem, Unkeepable for them, they demand that it not be neutered in it's next home. NUTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy:

IMHO, agree to take the dog. Then the dog becomes your property. Neuter the dog.-The dog is yours now. He gave it up, too bad sooo sad, it's Not his dog anymore. :thumbs up

Mysts38 October 24th, 2004 06:07 PM

ONce he is in your ownership

Then I would go ahead and neuter him..once the dog has been relinquished by the owner,then he has no legal rights to it....go for it....

Cflat October 25th, 2004 08:05 AM

Get him and neuter him - the previous owner won't know anyway.

Will this owner be charged a fee?

BMDLuver October 25th, 2004 08:44 AM

get him n do it anyway

We are a registered not for profit organization. We cannot in all conscience take the dog and neuter him anyway. The owner is requesting a contract be signed with the dog's release. It is unfortunate that the owner cannot see that having his dog neutered and keeping him is the best way to go. The route he is planning to take may end with the dog belonging to the wrong type of owner. This whole bann legislation is really nuts.

Iggette October 25th, 2004 09:01 AM

If I were the rescue org that took the dog I would say, that you have every right to neuter that dog regardless of the mans request, he has GIVEN UP ownership GIVEN UP on the dog and mostly GIVEN UP on proper responsibility as far as his dog is concerned, I don't think he is a very resposible owner.
I don't think you will be discrediting your organization by lying to this man but what you will be doing is WHAT IS BEST FOR THE DOG and that is what counts :thumbs up

sammiec October 25th, 2004 09:03 AM

I do agree. This person relinquishes thier rights when they turn the dog over... obviously and irresponsible owner...and you're providing a better standard of living for that animal if you get him out of there and neutred. This is ridiculous.... it seems that everywhere you go irresponsible people and criminals have more rights then good citizens... :evil:

Cflat October 25th, 2004 09:22 AM

What will he do with the dog if you don't take him?
How can he relinquish the dog with a "no neuter" contract? How will he ever know?

Copper'sMom October 25th, 2004 09:32 AM

Has anybody ever heard of "neuticles?" A few years back, I heard about them. They are fake testicles put in a dog's sack after it has been neutered. They are for cosmetic purposes. If I recall correctly, they have been used for show dogs as well(not 100% sure).

I wonder if you were to suggest this to the guy who doesn't want to neuter his dog. The only downfall is the cost. Just an idea.

On the other hand, maybe this guy doesn't deserve to have a dog in the first place if he is willing to give it up because he doesn't want it neutered!! :mad:

LL1 October 25th, 2004 09:36 AM

I would have him sign a contract releasing the dog - once he is your property you can do what you like. He'll never know. I'm sure you would not give adopter info to an owner surrender, so not an issue at all really.

glasslass October 25th, 2004 07:29 PM

Maybe the solution would be to neuter the owner first. Then maybe he'll be more agreeable to neutering his dog! :thumbs up

Bugsy October 25th, 2004 11:32 PM

GlassLass

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=glasslass]Maybe the solution would be to neuter the owner first. Then maybe he'll be more agreeable to neutering his dog! :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

[B]ROTFLMAO......[/B]