Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Nookie has lost another pound-we're stumped (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78783)

Goldfields October 2nd, 2011 01:25 AM

Robyn, Susie had a mast cell tumour removed, along with a mammary tumour, and that gave her YEARS extra, so good luck with Thorin. Your talk of how Nookie wakes you, and lies on you, is why I decided not to let Jarrah have her freedom at night, I don't want to be woken like that. LOL. So, she has a big square crate, covered at night so it's like a den and I never hear a sound out of her. Perkins has an even bigger pen(5'4" square) and his big bed plus two thick sheep fleeces(on top of 3 layers of newspapers) makes it pretty comfortable for the old bones. He loves plucking wool out of his fleeces. (Grrrr!)

MaxaLisa October 2nd, 2011 03:01 AM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;1025611]I....
Thorins visit did not go so well :(
She thought at first that one was just a fatty tumor and the other just a clogged/infected follicle. She did a fine needle aspiration and said she was very surprised. Instead of seeing that fat, dead cells and inflammation, she saw a lot of live, round and very active cells in both lumps. She that is typically a very good indication of cancer. She said it's possible that they are mast cell tumors, but also could be the dessimated form of the cancer we were doing the chemo for (histiocytic sarcoma). If that's what it is, we don't have long with him. But I'm trying to remain optimistic. He is going in for surgery Monday morning to have them both removed and biopsied. So it's just a waiting game for now. :pray:[/QUOTE]

Wishing for the best, and that this is a mast cell tumor that they get with clean margins, and it has a low mitotic figure :fingerscr

Rgeurts October 2nd, 2011 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1025646]Shaun is probably better at ignoring him than you and he knows it! When Shadow wants to wake me up she just stands there and stares at me. Like that's really helpful! Oddly it seems to work though - go figure.
[B]
Usually, Nookie just staring at me wakes me up, but then I roll over and try to ignore him. Doesn't work for long though lol[/B]

Poor Thorin getting poked where it hurts. Shadow oddly used to really like to poop on bushes too. Never understood that one either. She's back right up to one and hit the branches. And she pee's like a boy, always has. Not lately since her legs aren't strong enough now, but people used to laugh at us all the time. She's used to be a star leg lifter!
[B]
Poor old girl. She sounds so much like Thorin. He won't poo unless he has something to poo "on". I was walking with a friend of mine once, and I'm so used to him doing that, that I don't even pay attention anymore. He stopped, backed up against a light post, lifted his leg and did his thing right on the pole! She about died laughing :D
He's given us many laughs :cloud9: :lovestruck:[/B]

I hope the brown rice works for Nookie. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. [COLOR="Red"]No wonder I don't sleep anymore, too busy praying for everybody and their furries :D It's worth it.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[B]LOL, DD, I know what you mean!! And from our end, it's most appreciated :grouphug:[/B]

[QUOTE=Goldfields;1025670]Robyn, Susie had a mast cell tumour removed, along with a mammary tumour, and that gave her YEARS extra, so good luck with Thorin. Your talk of how Nookie wakes you, and lies on you, is why I decided not to let Jarrah have her freedom at night, I don't want to be woken like that. LOL. So, she has a big square crate, covered at night so it's like a den and I never hear a sound out of her. Perkins has an even bigger pen(5'4" square) and his big bed plus two thick sheep fleeces(on top of 3 layers of newspapers) makes it pretty comfortable for the old bones. He loves plucking wool out of his fleeces. (Grrrr!)[/QUOTE]

[B]GF, I'm praying they are mast cell tumors and not histiocytic sarcoma.
As for the crates, Nookie was crate trained at one point, but then decided he didn't like it. He would stress himself out so bad that he would have a seizure, so both our vets said no more crates for him.
That's one reason we left the last daycare. They had strict instructions not to crate him, but they did and he had a seizure. So we don't have a lot of options. Even though I get very tired, and even a little irritated some days, I can't be mad at him. He makes us laugh :)[/B]

[QUOTE=MaxaLisa;1025673]Wishing for the best, and that this is a mast cell tumor that they get with clean margins, and it has a low mitotic figure :fingerscr[/QUOTE]

[B]Thank you, MaxaLisa. That's what we're hoping and praying for :pray: :)[/B]

breeze October 2nd, 2011 02:11 PM

just a thought Rgeurts what about trying to train him to go on the puppy pee pads
it's not the greatest solution but maybe help with the clean up?? He's still young so maybe it could be a good thing??

:2cents:

Rgeurts October 2nd, 2011 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=breeze;1025697]just a thought Rgeurts what about trying to train him to go on the puppy pee pads
it's not the greatest solution but maybe help with the clean up?? He's still young so maybe it could be a good thing??

:2cents:[/QUOTE]

Thank you Breeze :)
He's potty trained, he just has no "holding" power when he has diarrhea, he has a loose sphincter (it never fully developed). It hasn't been too bad the last few months, until he got the parasites a couple of months ago. Since then it's been kinda on and off. We did consider getting a few pee pads just for those occasions, but the last time we tried to use them, he ate one :eek:
His Pica isn't as bad as it was when he was a pup, but he still has it. We can't even put a mat under his water dish. We had a rubber one a few months ago and he ate a chunk of it so we tried one of the braided rugs and he ate the tassles off it :eek: :yell:
The stained carpets give me a reason to get rid of them and put down some cork or wood. We just have to wait until the vet bills ease up a bit. Not sure
how much Thorins surgery will be tomorrow, but nothing related to our 2 is ever "cheap" lol.

breeze October 2nd, 2011 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;1025700]Thank you Breeze :)
the last time we tried to use them, he ate one :eek:

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]oops!!!!:o[/COLOR]

The stained carpets give me a reason to get rid of them and put down some cork or wood. We just have to wait until the vet bills ease up a bit. Not sure
how much Thorins surgery will be tomorrow, but nothing related to our 2 is ever "cheap" lol.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]we have no carpets any more either cause of our first dog :o just some throws here and there, we want new flooring but well with 2 beasts and a hubby why bother :laughing::laughing:= wet/muddy/snowy paws same with shoes or boots :laughing::laughing:

good luck tomorrow with Thorin's surgery and the after care (which in my eyes is worst than the surgery) :fingerscr:goodvibes::goodvibes:[/COLOR]

Rgeurts October 2nd, 2011 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=breeze;1025701][COLOR="DarkOrange"]we have no carpets any more either cause of our first dog :o just some throws here and there, we want new flooring but well with 2 beasts and a hubby why bother :laughing::laughing:= wet/muddy/snowy paws same with shoes or boots :laughing::laughing:
[COLOR="Black"]
LoL, I can relate!! We will probably rip the carpets out and use some area rugs until we can afford to put some nice flooring in. We want to sell as soon as the values go back up a bit![/COLOR]

good luck tomorrow with Thorin's surgery and the after care (which in my eyes is worst than the surgery) :fingerscr:goodvibes::goodvibes:[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thanks! It shouldn't be too bad. The vet said they're just under the skin and neither feel like they're "deeply" rooted. The only thing I'm really worried about is putting him under. That always scares me :(

Rgeurts October 2nd, 2011 06:25 PM

Breeze, I posted a few recent piccies :)
They both look great. Nookie is really skinny in a couple of them, but he's still looking healthy overall! :lovestruck: :cloud9:

hazelrunpack October 2nd, 2011 06:44 PM

Sending good luck for Thorin's surgery tomorrow, Robyn! :goodvibes:

Rgeurts October 2nd, 2011 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1025727]Sending good luck for Thorin's surgery tomorrow, Robyn! :goodvibes:[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Hazel!! :grouphug:

breeze October 2nd, 2011 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;1025719]Breeze, I posted a few recent piccies :)
They both look great. Nookie is really skinny in a couple of them, but he's still looking healthy overall! :lovestruck: :cloud9:[/QUOTE]

where???

breeze October 2nd, 2011 07:00 PM

found them :p:D:D:thumbs up

breeze October 3rd, 2011 09:17 AM

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

:fingerscr:fingerscr

:grouphug::grouphug:

for you and Thorin today

Dog Dancer October 3rd, 2011 10:26 AM

Thorin and you are in my prayers today. :pray: :grouphug:

Rgeurts October 3rd, 2011 01:44 PM

Thanks all :grouphug:
Thorin is in surgery now. I hate waiting. I hope we're doing the right thing by letting them put him under :pray:

Dog Dancer October 3rd, 2011 01:48 PM

Robyn that's always one of the hardest questions with the older pups isn't it. I'm sure he'll be fine, try to stay positive. :grouphug:

hazelrunpack October 3rd, 2011 01:54 PM

There are a lot of goodvibes, healing wishes and positive energy out there for your boy, Rgeurts. Hang in there :grouphug:

breeze October 3rd, 2011 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;1025889] I hope we're doing the right thing by letting them put him under :pray:[/QUOTE]

don't go doubting yourself!! you do what you must and what feels right for Throin and you both.

:goodvibes:

soon he will be out of surgery, keep positive:thumbs up

Rgeurts October 3rd, 2011 05:03 PM

Thank you all so much!! Thorin is out of surgery and in recovery. We will be picking up between 5 and 5:30 :cloud9::lovestruck:

Winston October 3rd, 2011 06:11 PM

:fingerscr:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Goldfields October 3rd, 2011 06:18 PM

That's good news, yay!!

hazelrunpack October 3rd, 2011 07:33 PM

:goodvibes: Now for good pathology results!! :fingerscr

Dog Dancer October 3rd, 2011 10:18 PM

Yay yay yay yay yay :crazy: So good to hear he's doing fine. :pray: for good path results also now. :grouphug: Guess it will be another sleepless night for you huh Robyn....

Rgeurts October 3rd, 2011 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1025955]Yay yay yay yay yay :crazy: So good to hear he's doing fine. :pray: for good path results also now. :grouphug: Guess it will be another sleepless night for you huh Robyn....[/QUOTE]

MIL actually has tomorrow off, so she has him in her room tonight. Shaun is going to take him for his potties, then back up to her room. So now that he's home, and doing ok, I think I'll get a few hours sleep :)

Dog Dancer October 4th, 2011 10:20 AM

I sure hope you all had a good night last night and the Thorin is doing well today, and that Nookie is too. Thinking of you all. Enjoy the day!

Rgeurts October 4th, 2011 03:40 PM

Thank you, DD!! You are such a sweetheart :grouphug:
Nookie had to go to daycare today so Thorin could have a restful day. MIL says he's doing very well. He's back to himself, but a bit stiff. They actually found a 3rd lump on the back of his head, so he had 3 removed in all. We should have the histopath back in a week. I hate waiting :yell:

Dog Dancer October 5th, 2011 01:51 PM

Robyn, hope the boys are well today. Thinking of you.

renegaderuby October 5th, 2011 07:34 PM

Waiting stinks! Hope everything turns out fantastic!

MaxaLisa October 6th, 2011 03:21 AM

Sure am hoping that the lab report comes back as something completely benign!