Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   New cat owner question (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78314)

Iluvsmokey August 18th, 2011 02:43 PM

New cat owner question

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"]Hey, all. I am new to this site and also relatively new to cat ownership/care. My cat was adopted through the local animal shelter and about 24 hours after we took him home he started exhibiting symptoms of Feline URI. We brought him back to the vet at the shelter who prescribed a medication for him that appears to be working. However, he still isn't eating.<p>

<p>:confused::shrug:Here are my two questions. First, any tricks to getting him to take his medicine? He doesn't like this at all and frankly neither do I. We are having zero fun. My second question is this; because cats only eat what they can smell and right now, being congested, Smokey cannot smell, can you recommend anything with a really strong odor that might entice him? Thanks in advance for your help.:thumbs up

This morning and I am told most of yesterday, Smokey is not eating or drinking. Please help[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dog Dancer August 19th, 2011 12:58 PM

I'm certain some other members will give you more advice than I can as I haven't had cats in years now, but have you tried canned tuna or canned salmon? It's fairly stinky and most cats love it. Sardines?? Good luck to you with your new kitty and bless you for adopting. If you can't get the kitty eating soon a return trip to the vet would be in order - the kitten will need fluids fairly soon. Also, as a non-cat owner, I do understand that canned food is much better for your kitty than kibble!

mikischo August 20th, 2011 03:00 PM

Hi, Iluvsmokey. I'm sorry you haven't got too much feedback on this yet. It must have been overlooked. How is Smokey doing today? I hope he has started to eat something. As I'm sure you already know it is very important that Smokey eats and drinks whatever he will accept even though it may not be the most optimum for a long term diet.

What have you tried to feed him so far?

As DD suggested you can try stinky foods like canned tuna or sardines if he will not eat regular canned cat foods right now. You might even have some success if you try crumbling some tasty cat treats like Temptations on top of his regular canned food. Some people have had success with some of the Fancy Feast flavours when cats have been having difficulty eating (not sure which ones are the stinkiest). Please give him only canned cat foods, not dry, to ensure that he is getting the water he needs, especially if he is not drinking enough. Canned cat foods are far better than dry and most of us on this forum feed our cats only canned foods.

Since you are a new cat owner you might also want to read the following website when you get a chance:

[url]http://www.catinfo.org/[/url]

It explains why canned foods are better than kibble.

If you are still unable to entice him to eat you may have to assist feed him for now using your fingers or a syringe. Hopefully he will eat enough on his own and you will not have to resort to this. If need be the following site has some information on how to assist feed:

[url]http://www.ehow.com/how_2093257_force-feed-cat.html[/url]

Rather than going into detail on how to pill a cat, here is some straightforward information at the following website:

[url]http://vetmedicine.about.com/c/ht/00/07/How_Give_Cat_Pill0962935140.htm[/url]

Some people also syringe a bit of water into the side of the cats mouth after giving the pill to ensure that the pill has gone down completely.

I don't use a towel or blanket. I just position myself to the side of him, slightly behind. I start by petting him and talking to him to get him relaxed and then I quickly open his mouth with my fingers on each side of his jaw with his head tilted slightly upward. With my other hand I quickly slip the pill into the back of his mouth and then release the hand that was holding his jaw open and immediately start stroking him under the chin several times (most cats love being stroked under the chin and doing this generally ensures that they will swallow the pill). I don't find it necessary to use the water. I just have a couple of Temptations ready for a reward. If you are still having trouble giving the pill you might prefer to try pill pockets that are available at pet stores.

URI's are no fun and, as you have found, if a kitty can't smell the food, he doesn't want to eat.

I hope Smokey starts feeling much better soon. Do let us know how things are going.

Congratulations on your new kitty and thank you for adopting from a shelter.:thumbs up

14+kitties August 20th, 2011 08:13 PM

Sorry I hadn't seen this thread till now. I don't come to this site much any more.
First off - what is your cat eating? Wet or dry? If dry I would suggest not feeding it while your cat is sick. Or ever for that matter. This site will help explain why - [url]www.catinfo.org[/url].............
You may need to try a variety of different canned foods in order to find one smelly enough that peaks his interest. That includes Wellness, Natures' Variety, Performatrin, Fancy Feast, etc. Hopefully one will be strong enough to help. You could try opening a can of tuna (make sure it does not have vegetable broth or soy in it as soy can cause seizures in cats). Just the juice of the tuna or the tuna itself may help kitty start eating. Sardines sometimes work but largely my cats turn their noses up at it.
If you can not get the cat eating canned foods it is essential you start syringe feeding. Kitten Wellness makes a great canned food which can be mixed with a bit of water to make it thin enough to be sucked up a syringe (no needle of end of course). Holding the kitty gently but firmly insert the syringe into the [I]side[/I] of the kitty's mouth and slowly syringe a small amount into his mouth. It will take a while to get the hang of this. You may also want to wrap the kitty in a towel to avoid those sharp claws.
It is also important that the cat does not get dehydrated. Ask your vet about SubQ's and also ask how to do it yourself at home. That will save you some trips to the vets if you can do it on your own.
What meds is the cat on? If it is liquid form you can use the same method as you would for feeding to give the meds. If it is pill form it is very important once the pill is down that you syringe some water, also through the side of the mouth so the cat doesn't aspirate, down the cat's throat. The pill is dry and may get stuck part way down the throat. Not to mention it can also scratch the lining of the throat.
Hope you check in soon. I'm crossing my fingers your cat gets better soon.