Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Socializing needed!!! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25502)

Conners April 4th, 2006 03:27 PM

Socializing needed!!!

I'm starting to have a problem with Shasta whenever she see's another dog. All she wants to do is go and say 'hi', but with the muzzle on and her getting so excited, the owners are taking that as aggressive and going in a different direction. The few that haven't, it's been great and Shasta is so happy to just be with another dog again.
I've been in the chronic fatigue for I don't know how long now, so I haven't had the stamina to even go outside. It's a quick piddle out near the patio and back inside.
This muzzle law sucks!!!! One look at the full face wire muzzle and owners assume they are wearing them because they're dangerous. SHEESH!
I have a rule that if you come to my place, you bring your dog, but those are Shasta's friend's and that's not the same as socialization on the street with strangers which we both used to really enjoy.
Everyone knows how inmportant socialization is, and we do it from puppyhood then one day the GOVERNMENT takes that away from us. It's cruel and it's the government creating the animal abuse in my opinion!!!
Any idea's???

chico2 April 4th, 2006 03:58 PM

No ideas,but I am really sorry Shasta and you have to go through this,I can just imagine the reaction from people,absolutely not fair:pawprint:

Melinda April 4th, 2006 04:10 PM

are there no daycares around you where she could attend once a week or even a couple times a month?

SnowDancer April 4th, 2006 04:25 PM

I have a 2 year old Eskimo. When he sees another dog he barks and jumps like crazy - very typical of the breed. He doesn't have to wear a muzzle and all he wants to do is play, but people look at me as if I have this vicious dog. I have yet to see his gums - but I have seen the gums of many a dog approaching my guy. I take him to socialization group once a week so he has his friends that he plays with in a controlled environment. Perhaps you could find such a group - he knows that despite the fact that all of the other dogs are fascinated with his X-Rated Tush, that he is welcome - heck the gleam in the other dogs' eyes when they see him coming is funny.

Conners April 4th, 2006 06:25 PM

The problem with a play group would still be she needs her muzzle and leash on since she's restricted. That's why I don't like to take her to the Leash Free parks. All the dogs are having so much fun and you know she wants to too, but knows I'm not going to let her go. The only fun part is if some dogs come to visit her and rolls with her for awhile before they run off with the others. It's heart breaking, but it's the law.
OH I HATE THIS LAW!!!! :sick: Byrant has sure screwed us up and it's the owners and dogs that are paying the concequences!!!
I wonder if once we win this ban if the owners and dogs will ever get back to 'normal' or will we be looking over our shoulder all the time?