Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dog eating poop - Stinky (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83656)

minmin12 March 21st, 2013 08:27 AM

Dog eating poop - Stinky

[B][/B] This is annoying. My puppy Moses is fed excellent however, he chooses to eat his own poop. He is on high quality food, probiotics, vitamins and result still eating. I see him knock on window and he drops, then he returns I see him munching down I open window yell drop and he does but this is a battle that he won't give up. I am fed up any suggestions do not suggest pineapple thanks.:ca::shrug:

Marty11 March 21st, 2013 09:14 AM

Mine does this too. I have to watch her go poo and tell her to leave it. I am very clean in the yard. I was told the better the food the tastier the poo!!! I heard once that feeding bananas takes the craving away? :shrug: There is also a powder that you can sprinkle on food and it makes the poo taste bad. It doesn't always work.

Jull March 21st, 2013 09:22 AM

You must clean the poop as soon as he is done... many dogs eat their own poop as gross as it is, because to them it doesn't smell like poop, it smells like the same food they ate. Mine used to do it, I clean after the poop as soon as he is done, but also taught him "no" don't eat it.

Do keep in mind though, that sometimes, they will eat it because they are not getting enough nutrients.

My advice - as soon as it goes out, clean it up. :thumbs up

marko March 21st, 2013 10:15 AM

Hi minmin,

I have edited this thread title to be a bit more descriptive. This condition is known as coprophagia. Here are 2 articles about it as well as what one of the vets has to say about it. Hope it helps
[url]http://www.pets.ca/dogs/tips/dog-eats-poop-coprophagia-pet-tip-150/[/url]
[url]http://www.pets.ca/dogs/articles/dog-eats-feces-coprophagia/[/url]

[B]Dog eats feces - Answered by Dr. Slome[/B]
Question:

Dear pets.ca,

My dog is one of those dogs that occasionally eats the poop of other dogs when I take him out for walks or let him run around in the dog parks. He also licks the urine where other dogs have urinated. Obviously I make him stop when I catch him...but I don't always catch him.

So here goes..... why does he do this?
Is it dangerous for him to eat poop or lick urine?
Is it common? How can I get him to stop?

Please Help G.L.

[B]Answered by Dr. Slome:[/B]

Hi GL,

The reason he does this is usually due to behaviour habits. I would almost guarantee that he has not yet been neutered or was neutered as an adult dog rather than a puppy. He is being territorial and relishing in strange dogs' poop/urine or may be trying to remove any evidence of another dog's scent marking territory where he is being walked.
It is not usually dangerous but is a disgusting habit and the thought of him then 'kissing' or licking you is not quite as appealing.... for obvious reasons. The danger that may be posed occasionally is that he is susceptible to picking up parasites or bacteria that may cause illness carried by the other dogs.
I have seen it or heard of this condition from some of my clients -- usually unneutered males or as indicated before, neutered later in life when territorial habits have already set in.
The cure? Start by neutering if you already haven't done so. Secondly you will need some professional help of an obedience trainer who can show properly how to negatively reinforce this behaviour and positively reinforce leaving this alone. Thirdly you would need to discuss this carefully with your Veterinarian whether this is a behaviour issue that may benefit from some behaviour medications available for dogs.

The term of eating poop is called coprophagia but is most commonly reported when dogs eat their own poop. In this case a product called Forbid can be added to the food, but as indicated, you will need to gain some professional advice on the best course for your dog.

Good Luck,

Martin Slome DVM
Centre Street Animal Hospital
Thornhill, Ontario, L4J 7Y3
Tel: (905) 771-9855

Barkingdog March 21st, 2013 10:38 AM

When my dog had crystals he was obsess with eating rabbit poop and once he got better Marty is not going as the poop like crazy anymore.

minmin12 March 21st, 2013 11:44 AM

thank you

[B][/B] I am vigilante in cleaning up after both dogs, however Moses could smell the poop and he digs thru the snow until he has that tastey morsel in his mouth YUCK.:grouphug:

minmin12 March 21st, 2013 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=marko;1055500]Hi minmin,

I have edited this thread title to be a bit more descriptive. This condition is known as coprophagia. Here are 2 articles about it as well as what one of the vets has to say about it. Hope it helps
[url]http://www.pets.ca/dogs/tips/dog-eats-poop-coprophagia-pet-tip-150/[/url]
[url]http://www.pets.ca/dogs/articles/dog-eats-feces-coprophagia/[/url]

[B]Dog eats feces - Answered by Dr. Slome[/B]
Question:

Dear pets.ca,

My dog is one of those dogs that occasionally eats the poop of other dogs when I take him out for walks or let him run around in the dog parks. He also licks the urine where other dogs have urinated. Obviously I make him stop when I catch him...but I don't always catch him.

So here goes..... why does he do this?
Is it dangerous for him to eat poop or lick urine?
Is it common? How can I get him to stop?

Please Help G.L.

[B]Answered by Dr. Slome:[/B]

Hi GL,

The reason he does this is usually due to behaviour habits. I would almost guarantee that he has not yet been neutered or was neutered as an adult dog rather than a puppy. He is being territorial and relishing in strange dogs' poop/urine or may be trying to remove any evidence of another dog's scent marking territory where he is being walked.
It is not usually dangerous but is a disgusting habit and the thought of him then 'kissing' or licking you is not quite as appealing.... for obvious reasons. The danger that may be posed occasionally is that he is susceptible to picking up parasites or bacteria that may cause illness carried by the other dogs.
I have seen it or heard of this condition from some of my clients -- usually unneutered males or as indicated before, neutered later in life when territorial habits have already set in.
The cure? Start by neutering if you already haven't done so. Secondly you will need some professional help of an obedience trainer who can show properly how to negatively reinforce this behaviour and positively reinforce leaving this alone. Thirdly you would need to discuss this carefully with your Veterinarian whether this is a behaviour issue that may benefit from some behaviour medications available for dogs.

The term of eating poop is called coprophagia but is most commonly reported when dogs eat their own poop. In this case a product called Forbid can be added to the food, but as indicated, you will need to gain some professional advice on the best course for your dog.

Good Luck,

Martin Slome DVM
Centre Street Animal Hospital
Thornhill, Ontario, L4J 7Y3
Tel: (905) 771-9855[/QUOTE]
I tested his poop with cayenne pepper he took a couple of licks and gone. Perhaps when he returns and tries again cayenne pepper is still on his poop and allot. This came from the second link. Thank you

minmin12 March 21st, 2013 12:16 PM

Wahoo

[B][/B]Success Moses walked over to poop ladened with cayenne pepper walked away. Now I am a happy camper obviously the first time tasting it burned his tongue and mouth, he did not have allot only enough to deter him:dog::grouphug::ca:

Jim Hall March 21st, 2013 10:00 PM

your gonna have folks wandering aroung looking for the mexican rsturant