Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   pregnant 9 month old dog (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78989)

Melinda October 23rd, 2011 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=renegaderuby;1027378]Extremely "weird" idea..but couldnt hurt..may help. A "dab" of penut butter on the pup's paticulars to encourage "licking" ....maybe that will "get mom in the habit of cleaning off the pups"..and "insticnt" will kick in after a while. after all if neice keeps doing "moms" job...mom will kick back and relax and say to heck with it.
I dunno....like i said..may be to weird...but here in this house..penut butter is the cure for nearly everything. Really..it is :D[/QUOTE]

thats a thought.....

Melinda October 23rd, 2011 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=Winston;1027334]Melinda I dont know the first thing really about pups but I am wondering if its just a teeny bit too soon. Maybe Mom is not quite getting what needs to be done. If you were to present the pup to be cleaned to Mom does she do it? I am wondering if she just doesnt know everything she needs to do?? :shrug:[/QUOTE]

the first day/night Winston , mom did it all herself, the next day she started getting lazy about it, Amber (niece) will stimulate them to pee and then present the pup to the mom and she will continue the rest of the duty. I'm headed over there now (more pics:D) and will check things out.

hazelrunpack October 23rd, 2011 09:21 AM

Ooooo....more pics! :thumbs up :cloud9: Can't wait!! :D

breeze October 23rd, 2011 01:16 PM

[QUOTE=Melinda;1027391]the first day/night Winston , mom did it all herself, the next day she started getting lazy about it, Amber (niece) will stimulate them to pee and then present the pup to the mom and she will continue the rest of the duty. I'm headed over there now (more pics:D) and will check things out.[/QUOTE]

more pictures??

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

renegaderuby October 23rd, 2011 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=Melinda;1027390]thats a thought.....[/QUOTE]

Sorry if that was a :yuck: thought. just figured what the heck :shrug: worth an :lightbulb: .... :D

Melinda October 24th, 2011 06:51 AM

no no renegade, I meant that in a good way!! you know "wow...now there's a thought to try!!!" it wasn't said in a negative way, I really hate the internet when you can't show enthusiasim!

Melinda October 24th, 2011 06:54 AM

sorry, had such a busy day yesterday, went and spent two hours with the pups, I cooked up some very fattening food for the mom, poor Skyla is skin and bones, she was scrawny to begin with, but now we've got her eating well. She's also caught on to cleaning her pups and does it 75% of the time I'd say, and she's gotten a bit gentler with them, except when she decides they've drank enough she just stands right up, pups still attached and walks away, you hear the "plop plop plop" as each pup "unplugs" from her *S* its sweet. Man I was in heaven holding, cleaning, kissing pups.....ok ok, on to pics.

Melinda October 24th, 2011 06:57 AM

[B]5 days old[/B]

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/skyla%20and%20pups/IMG_3911.jpg[/IMG]

[B]adorable...[/B]

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/skyla%20and%20pups/IMG_3907.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Buffet[/B]

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/skyla%20and%20pups/IMG_3927.jpg[/IMG]

Melinda October 24th, 2011 07:01 AM

[B]he snores softly, oh and he has two white toes on his back paw[/B]

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/skyla%20and%20pups/IMG_3928.jpg[/IMG]

[B]all 6[/B]

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/skyla%20and%20pups/IMG_3915.jpg[/IMG]

[B]full and content[/B]

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/skyla%20and%20pups/IMG_3926.jpg[/IMG]

[B]he falls asleep while eating, this one is a little glutten, last to come out and he's the largest so far[/B]

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/skyla%20and%20pups/IMG_3918.jpg[/IMG]

Melinda October 24th, 2011 07:02 AM

if you go back to the album, you can see all the pics, the latest are all marked "5 days"

breeze October 24th, 2011 07:47 AM

[B]melinda[/B]

are you keeping one??

Melinda October 24th, 2011 07:52 AM

no I'm not Breeze, if I were to take one then I'd never be able to take in a foster or a rescue, with a city day care they govt "likes" us to limit dogs to two. plus....I'm 53, if he/she lived 15 yrs I'd be 68 and I promised my patient hubs that Brina would be my last so our retirement years will be just us so we can up and go at a moments notice, he's put up with my animals for 32 yrs....its his turn, if anything we will take in compassionate placements, older/ill dogs just needing a home for their final months/years

breeze October 24th, 2011 08:00 AM

[QUOTE=Melinda;1027479]no I'm not Breeze, if I were to take one then I'd never be able to take in a foster or a rescue, with a city day care they govt "likes" us to limit dogs to two. plus....I'm 53, if he/she lived 15 yrs I'd be 68 and I promised my patient hubs that Brina would be my last so our retirement years will be just us so we can up and go at a moments notice, he's put up with my animals for 32 yrs....its his turn, if anything we will take in compassionate placements, older/ill dogs just needing a home for their final months/years[/QUOTE]

Melinda without a dog!!!! :eek:
or
the side car without a dog!!:eek:

:p

Melinda October 24th, 2011 08:11 AM

*L* I'll just have to borrow grand doggies then Breeze

breeze October 24th, 2011 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Melinda;1027482]*L* I'll just have to borrow grand doggies then Breeze[/QUOTE]

:laughing::laughing:

hazelrunpack October 24th, 2011 09:03 AM

The pups are getting so big!! And cuter by the minute!! :flirt:

renegaderuby October 24th, 2011 09:12 PM

He looks like a giant TOOTSIE ROLL. Hmmmm...there is a thought. TOOTER! (well that brings another image to mind...:P)

Melinda October 25th, 2011 03:52 AM

Tooter *LOL*.....love it *L*

Winston October 26th, 2011 07:02 PM

how are the pups and Skyla doing ?

Melinda October 27th, 2011 04:03 AM

they are all off for the vets this morning at 10:45, we think mom has a case of mastitis, poor her, the pups are gaining weight, they range in size of 22 up to 31 oz. (she just got her scale yesterday) the vet said to bundle up the pups and she'd check them over at the same time for free (normally 60 per pup) but if they need any med she has to pay for that.

hazelrunpack October 27th, 2011 10:00 AM

Oh, no! Poor mom! If she can't nurse any more, how much bottle-feeding is this going to entail? Poor foster mom! :eek:

Sounds like she's got a compassionate vet--sweet deal on the pups. :thumbs up Hope the checkup goes well! :goodvibes:

Dog Dancer October 27th, 2011 10:53 AM

Hope everything goes good at the vets today. Praying that Skyla is okay and able to continue feeding the babes. Sweet Skyla, she's trying so hard and she's so very young.

Melinda October 27th, 2011 03:53 PM

ok, so its not mastitis, she is all bruised around the nipples because they (nipples) aren't really fully developed for having pups at her age, she gave her a light dose of antibiotics and instructed amber to put warm clothes on them when they are relaxing on the couch away from the babies, the pups are all a great weight for their age and the vet thinks its possible a lab was also around while they were trying to breed her...she said time will tell, she gave amber worm pills for the pups to give them at two weeks old, then again at 4 weeks. and gave Skyla some antibiotics for runny poop (as amber says) *L*

Myka October 27th, 2011 09:45 PM

Well its good it isn't mastitis, but poor girl! Is she getting the hang of cleaning them now?

hazelrunpack October 28th, 2011 12:20 AM

Sounds like she's been doing a good job with her youngsters despite her inexperience. Glad it wasn't mastitis, anyway! Hope she can hold out and continue nursing till they're ready to be weaned! :goodvibes:

Melinda October 28th, 2011 06:05 AM

[QUOTE=Myka;1027744]Well its good it isn't mastitis, but poor girl! Is she getting the hang of cleaning them now?[/QUOTE]

90% of the time she is cleaning them, amber sits with her so she'll feed them, the vet said they are getting enough milk *S*

chico2 October 28th, 2011 04:15 PM

Melinda,I just read through all 3 pages and I am so happy both mom and the pups will have a great future,thank's to your niece and yourself.
They all look absolutely adorable,in my laymans eyes they all look like little Labs,but many pups look alike when they are babies.

I am glad it's over for the mom,no more pups,only lots of loving from your niece and family..
I look forward to more and more pics:whistle:

doggy lover October 28th, 2011 06:09 PM

just seen this wow can't believe she had six babies in that poor dog, she looked thin as it was would never guess she was having that many babies. What makes me feel that animals are better than humans is after being abused she is still a sweet heart and would let you guys handle the puppies with so much trust in her eyes. She looks so content lying her there on her back:angel: Then I hear of people like you and your niece and have a little renewed faith in the human race....

Winston November 1st, 2011 08:44 AM

I need a puppy fix! how are they doing Melinda? and how is your neice holding up?

Melinda November 1st, 2011 09:02 AM

hey Winston pups are all doing well, and one's eyes are just just starting to slit open....I'll be going over there tomorrow for some more pictures and to bring her the puppy playpen because the little farts discovered if you wiggle up on top of mommy you can fall out of the bed onto the floor and freedom, course they can't walk...or see.....*L*