Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Parvo (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5718)

Goldenmom July 20th, 2004 09:36 AM

Parvo

I cannot believe the number of cases of Parvo that show up on this site?????

Unbelieveable and so scary for the owner to watch this happen.

Heather

sammiec July 20th, 2004 09:39 AM

I agree, it very shocking!!! :eek: I have one question though: what are my dogs chances of getting Parvo? She has all her shots, but she is regularly around other puppies - I don't know if their owners keep them UTD. She's 9 mos. I have heard that there is a slim possibility that she could still be affected. I don't know if I should believe that or not.

Princesss04 July 20th, 2004 09:43 AM

If your animals are up to date on their shots they will be fine. I have never had an animal that has had it before now. But, all my animals have always had their shots and stuff. But, this new puppy the reason he has it is becuase I found him on the street and I guess he has never had any. It is scary and believe me you do not ever want your pet to have to go through it. :(

sammiec July 20th, 2004 09:48 AM

Yeah, you're right princess, I don't think I ever want to see it!!! I also have read that your puppies should have the 3 shots (from 6wks to 20 wks) and then maybe 1 or 2 more until they are at least 1 yr. I haven't given Briggs any since her 16 - 20wks. I always thought that Parvo was difficult to contract, but since joining this board, I'm not so sure anymore. :(

edited to add: I always new that it was highly contagious, but I just never thought that it was so active - I can't think of a better word, but you know what I mean :p

MBRA518 July 20th, 2004 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=Princesss04]If your animals are up to date on their shots they will be fine. [/QUOTE]

Not entirely true... My BF's dog got it when she was a pup (she died last year at 13) - she was UTD on her shots, but got Parvo before the last set - she did pull through though, and she was a Rottie - and I was told they are more likely to get it (for this reason my Rosie got and extra booster as a pup)

It makes me wonder if it is related to the Equine Strep bacteria (often refered to as Strangles) as there have more cases of that in Horses than usual this year too.

Princesss04 July 20th, 2004 10:28 AM

It is a less chance than if they are not UTD with all their shots. I am going through fighting to save my new babies life with PARVO. It is awful and the vet says it does not look to good but we will see I am haning on to that little hope he gave me. It has been a long long night. I would reccomend that everyone gets their animals shots. I know that these dogs have never had them but if he lives he will. I have a cat (she is UTD on all her shots) can she catch PARVO from this dog. :eek:

glasslass July 20th, 2004 11:57 AM

This all just illustrates the impact irresponsible pet owners have on all of us. If everyone would vaccinate against Parvo, it wouldn't be so epidemic. Ideal world again! Maybe for those "guests" who browse this board occasionally, this helps educate and is beneficial - the silver lining?

Princesss04 July 20th, 2004 01:24 PM

Very true, it is an awful illness and one that can kill a dog in 48-72 hours. It is so sad. [SIZE=3][COLOR=Red][FONT=Arial Black]EVERYONE PLEASE GET YOUR PUPPY TO THE VET FOR THEIR SHOTS!!!![/FONT] [/COLOR] [/SIZE] Please be a good mommie or daddy! :)

chico2 July 20th, 2004 03:47 PM

I have no idea what Parvo is,but it certainly sounds like an awful disease...Princess asked if cats can get it? Can they?

Lucky Rescue July 20th, 2004 04:26 PM

Cats do get a form of parvo, but it's different than in dogs, and is only infectious to cats.

buriedinfur July 20th, 2004 04:30 PM

Parvo virus only affects canines, is not related to strangles, attacks the mucosa lining the gastro-intestinal tract which results in severe vomiting and diarrhea, dehydration, electrolyte imbalances and often death. A normal pup that has recieved ALL three vaccines should not be affected by it even if exposed directly to it. However there are reasons a vaccine may not work properly - for example if the animal was already incubating the disease, the vaccine was damaged or administered wrong (as is sometimes the case with vaccines admininstered by the public vrs a vet clinic) if the vaccine was given too early and the maternal antibodies were still present ect.
Parvo lives in the environment for up to 6 mnths, so if you had a sick pup in an area, and then have another pup or unvaccinated dog in the same area before the 6 mnths is up then they can get it quite readily. Bleach is the best readily available sterilizer for parvo.
Rotties and Dobbies are particularily succeptible to parvo, they tend to catch it easier and get sicker with it.
If your dog is sick with parvo they need supportive therapy from your vet - fluids, medicine to help them not vomit, electolytes ect. As it is not bacterial, antibiotics are useless against it.
Classical symptoms of parvo are listlessness, vomiting (particularily after drinking water) and severe diarrhea (often with blood in it - called tomato soup diarrhea, cause that is what it looks like. Those who are familiar with the disease will note that there is a characteristic smell due to the blood present in the feces)
Hope that all those doggies do well - and vaccinate!
Michelle

buriedinfur July 20th, 2004 04:36 PM

Sorry lucky

Sorry lucky - you and I must have been posting at the same time, didn't want to step on your tail ;)
To clarify a "parvo" virus is just a type of virus (think of viruses being labled like different breeds for example HIV is a retrovirus)
Many diffent species of mammals can get "parvo" viruses. However when used to say that a dog has [I]Parvo[/I] it is being more specific to describe the one that causes that disease. That particular virus (which causes the disease called parvo in dogs) can only affect canines, so you don't need to worry about your cat catching it from them.Michelle

melanie July 20th, 2004 05:29 PM

it is mentioned that the virus stays in soil for 6mths. we had a dog die yrs ago from parvo that the vet said came from our soil. we had lived there for years with no dogs on the property and yet she still got it. but it was a flood area so that may explain the reintroduction of the virus, but it had been long time since dog on property then she died. i know chook viruses can stay in the soil for years, esp flood lands. just wondering if anyone knows about this virus life cycle in soils??and if you do would the type of soil affect the cycle, say wet thick clays v's loose healthy bassalts??wondering if airation etc has anything to do with it??

Luba July 20th, 2004 05:47 PM

Well today I've heard of even more cases of puppy parvo. It's horrible and shameful. These poor pups have so little strength left to fight after it grabs ahold of them.

Poor little angels.

buriedinfur July 20th, 2004 05:47 PM

parvo and soil

If I remember correctly airating (sp) the soil helps, and a good long freeze can inactivate it. The other thing to remember is that it is easy to track parvo around - you simply have to step on some surface that an infected dog vomited or pooed on (even if you don't see obvious vomit or feces there can be enough remnents to hold tons of viruses). Then you walk in your yard or your dog chews on your shoe - and bango - there is the disease again.
That is why vet clinics, shelters ect have "foot baths" if they are isolating parvo or other illnesses. A foot bath is basically a shallow pan with a cm or so of bleach/water mix or disinfectant in it that you step in to wash your soles of your shoes off.

melanie July 20th, 2004 05:54 PM

thank you that explains alot. we lived in a tropical region with thick heavy clay soils that were flooded annually. that really explains alot, but even more so prepares me, the more info im armed with the healthier everyone can be :D