Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Malcolm is in the hosp. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55794)

Love4himies August 24th, 2008 08:40 PM

Malcolm is in the hosp.

I had to rush Malcolm to the hospital tonight. He was developing a fever very quickly. 40.2 @ 7PM, 40.5 @ 7:15, last check 41 @ 8PM at the hospital. No vomiting or diarrhea. No appetite, very, very lethargic, started into purr mode. :cry::cry: He had two vets rushing around working on him to get fluids and an injection into him to get the fever down.

He was fine until about 3, went for a nap on DH lap, was a little funny, but thought he was just tired. At 7 I knew something was wrong when he wouldn't eat or play, that's when I got the thermometer out.

Please, please send him some good vibes tonight.:sad:

They were extremely impressed on his physical condition, I didn't mention the raw diet, but wanted to.

Their first thoughts the herpes virus, which could be a result of the horrible upper resp infection they had a month ago.

Frenchy August 24th, 2008 08:43 PM

L4H , I'm so sorry :sad: but you never know , he could be 100% ok by tomorrow morning :fingerscr :pray:

Are they suppose to call you back tonight ?

hazelrunpack August 24th, 2008 08:47 PM

:goodvibes: and :pray:s for Malcolm...:grouphug: for you, L4H! He's in good hands, hun! :fingerscr that he'll be much better by morning!

happycats August 24th, 2008 08:59 PM

Awww L4H, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Malcolm.

I am wishing Malcolm :goodvibes: and hope he's better soon :fingerscr

14+kitties August 24th, 2008 09:03 PM

Awwww poor Malcolm. He has had a rough go of it. I am sending all the :pray:ers, :fingerscr, and :goodvibes: that I possible can for the little guy. I hope he is back to his regular self very very soon. Is Matilda doing ok so far?

luckypenny August 24th, 2008 09:04 PM

:grouphug: [B]Love4himies[/B]. Whatever is causing him to be ill, I hope they find it and treat it quickly :goodvibes: .

t.pettet August 24th, 2008 09:27 PM

Malcolm is in

Best wishes and a speedy recovery for your kitty.

meg4050 August 24th, 2008 09:31 PM

:fingerscr:goodvibes::pray:for Malcolm and :grouphug: to you L4H!

breeze August 24th, 2008 09:40 PM

lot of good vibes from me..

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

:fingerscr

krdahmer August 24th, 2008 10:47 PM

:pray: :pray:
:goodvibes: :goodvibes:

and all our :pawprint: crossed here too for Malcolm!!

growler~GateKeeper August 24th, 2008 10:59 PM

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Malcolm & :grouphug: for you

[QUOTE=14+kitties;645999]Is Matilda doing ok so far?[/QUOTE]

Yes, how is Matilda's energy level been lately? :goodvibes:

badger August 25th, 2008 12:48 AM

Good vibes for the little guy. Must've been a little scary to see all that activity around him - Animal ER - but he is in good hands :fingerscr

rainbow August 25th, 2008 01:27 AM

I hope Malcolm will be okay. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

aslan August 25th, 2008 04:49 AM

good luck and :pray: for Malcolm...Hopefully he will be back to normal today.

Love4himies August 25th, 2008 06:19 AM

Thank you everybody for your well wishes.:grouphug:

I haven't heard and am not allowed any info from the hospital as he is not legally mine. The manager from the humane society is suppose to call me first thing this morning for an update.

He was sooooo scared, I was holding him on the examining table while the vets were working on him. He was shivering so bad, but had no energy to fight. He was a very brave boy when they put the IV in him.

Of course didn't sleep last night, all I could think about was him.:cry:

Matilda is doing fine, she ate this morning and wouldn't leave Sweet Pea alone, and Sweet Pea was unusually kind to her, thank goodness.

Very funny, but she must know something is up with Malcolm as this is the first time she hasn't called for him when he hasn't been in her sight :sad:.

jealma August 25th, 2008 06:56 AM

I do hope everything turns out to be fine. So hard to know when they can't talk to us.

Wow they won't tell you anything. Patient confidentuality for animals now? Well if they are going to go that way you are the primary care giver at the moment so that should give you some rights. I hope they call you first thing with some news.

14+kitties August 25th, 2008 07:06 AM

What a nasty thing to do. You are the one who has been looking after them since the start. Heck, you and your friend are the ones who found these two.
Sending lots of :pray:s :goodvibes: Malcolm's way.

Love4himies August 25th, 2008 07:13 AM

I think it is because we have no say in the treatment, but have so much emotional ties to our fosters (some of us more than others :whistle:). It would much too hard on a foster mom for a vet to discuss a serious illness to a foster mom that would cost a bundle to treat but have the HS decide to have the cat PTS rather than treat.

My stomach is in knots waiting for the HS to call.

Love4himies August 25th, 2008 07:53 AM

He made it through the night :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up. Vet is with him now, the manager of the HS will update after the vet is done.
:):):):D

breeze August 25th, 2008 07:58 AM

:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

glad to her that he made it thought the night!!!! :highfive:

:goodvibes::goodvibes: for speedy recovery..:grouphug:

Jim Hall August 25th, 2008 08:08 AM

a buddah belly rub for malcom

hazelrunpack August 25th, 2008 09:07 AM

:goodvibes: for Malcolm

:grouphug: for you!

14+kitties August 25th, 2008 09:13 AM

:thumbs up That is great! Let's hope it's a good prognosis now and he is back where he should be very soon!!! :fingerscr:goodvibes::pray: and whatever else it takes to get him home healthy!!

14+kitties August 25th, 2008 09:14 AM

K, silly question. If a foster has something treatable and curable that would cost lots of money and the fosterer is willing to pay, can they? Or would they have to adopt the kitten themselves?

lotus August 25th, 2008 09:47 AM

Hope Malcolm is feeling better soon:fingerscr :goodvibes:
And a :grouphug: for you. I hope you hear something soon.

Love4himies August 25th, 2008 09:51 AM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;646147]K, silly question. If a foster has something treatable and curable that would cost lots of money and the fosterer is willing to pay, can they? Or would they have to adopt the kitten themselves?[/QUOTE]

Fosters can pay if they wish, I did for Sweet Pea's kittens. It is treated as a donation to the humane society.

With the increase cost of fuel, we can't afford to do that this year :sad:.

Love4himies August 25th, 2008 09:53 AM

I haven't heard yet about him being discharged today so it is not looking good:sad:. They may want to keep him until the end of the day for observation.

Frenchy August 25th, 2008 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;646113]He made it through the night :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up. Vet is with him now, the manager of the HS will update after the vet is done.
:):):):D[/QUOTE]
wooohooo ! :thumbs up
[QUOTE=Love4himies;646161]I haven't heard yet about him being discharged today so it is not looking good:sad:. They may want to keep him until the end of the day for observation.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they just want to make sure he's ok before letting him go home. :goodvibes:

Bluecatt August 25th, 2008 11:18 AM

I hope he's doing better. Sending :lovestruck::lovestruck:

14+kitties August 25th, 2008 11:43 AM

Any news yet? :fingerscr