Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Bloomin'! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63918)

14+kitties July 5th, 2009 05:22 PM

Bloomin'!

3 Attachment(s)
My Shasta's and Rose Campion
[ATTACH]54521[/ATTACH]
Shot of my side garden
[ATTACH]54522[/ATTACH]
Anyone know? My sister in law gave it to me a few years back. I forgot. :o
[ATTACH]54523[/ATTACH]

14+kitties July 5th, 2009 05:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
kr's favourite "flower"
[ATTACH]54524[/ATTACH]
My pink coneflower. My white one should be opening this week.
[ATTACH]54525[/ATTACH]
Rudbeckia
[ATTACH]54526[/ATTACH]

14+kitties July 5th, 2009 05:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few selfseeders from last year.
First two are Calundulas.
[ATTACH]54527[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]54528[/ATTACH]
This one is a Cerinthe.
[ATTACH]54529[/ATTACH]

Frenchy July 5th, 2009 05:35 PM

How the heck do you find the time ???? With all the :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat: .......

It's beautiful ! But thank dog it's not on my yard :laughing:

I've been known to just mow them :evil:

14+kitties July 5th, 2009 05:48 PM

Ha! They're called perennials Frenchy. All I have to do is find time to weed them. And I'm not doing a great job of that. :o I have spent about 10 hours or so out there this weekend.

Love4himies July 5th, 2009 07:13 PM

I can't believe how far advanced your perennials are compared to mine :eek:. My cone flowers and black eyed susans are just forming buds.

Like Frenchy said, how do you find the time to keep such beautiful gardens and so many :cloud9:kitties:cloud9:?????

mollywog July 5th, 2009 07:16 PM

wow! :eek: beautiful! Everything looks so bright and full! What is kr's favourite "flower" called? I have never seen those before.

Winston July 5th, 2009 07:57 PM

14+ I bought one of those perennials this year...Ill check the name when I go out to the garden and let you know. Mine is reddish in color though!

Nice garden pics! looking good! I cant tell mine for the weeds these days! I tried today but tummy still hurts!

14+kitties July 5th, 2009 10:09 PM

[QUOTE=mollywog;797353]wow! :eek: beautiful! Everything looks so bright and full! What is kr's favourite "flower" called? I have never seen those before.[/QUOTE]

It's called Hens and Chickens mollywog. They are a great filler for full sun. Grow great on rocks with very little dirt. kr likes them because they are pretty much kill proof she says.

[QUOTE=Winston;797365]14+ I bought one of those perennials this year...Ill check the name when I go out to the garden and let you know. Mine is reddish in color though!

Nice garden pics! looking good! I cant tell mine for the weeds these days! I tried today but tummy still hurts![/QUOTE]

I think it's in the salvia/sagey family but can't remember. Was looking in my books for it but haven't had any luck yet. :shrug: I'll find it or see if my sis in law remembers.
You are supposed to be taking it easy young lady! You and Sylvie have to come for a visit and you need to recoup for that!

14+kitties July 5th, 2009 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;797351]I can't believe how far advanced your perennials are compared to mine :eek:. My cone flowers and black eyed susans are just forming buds.

Like Frenchy said, how do you find the time to keep such beautiful gardens and so many :cloud9:kitties:cloud9:?????[/QUOTE]

L4H - I am in a weird area. Sometimes things are slower, sometimes faster than other areas. Just look at it this way.... your plants will be out in full bloom when mine are on their last legs. :sad:

Tundra_Queen July 6th, 2009 12:29 AM

Just beautiful! Could that blue spikey flower be veronica? I had something like that in my gardens before I pulled things out to do the raised beds.

It has been cold and raining here the past few days! My hazeldean is trying to bloom and with all this rain I think the blooms are going to rot before I can get out and get more pics! Grr..it has only been in the 50's the past few days. *sigh*

Can u gals send me some warmer weather pleasseeeee???

clm July 6th, 2009 08:09 AM

Amazing garden you have!. I don't have any coneflowers right now but I did see the most amazing deep hot pink variety at my favorite nursery last week. It's new and it's pricey, so I may wait a year before I bite the bullit and get one, but it's a must have and at the top of my list.

Cindy

CearaQC July 6th, 2009 08:28 AM

:eek: You already have Rudbeckia and Echinacea in bloom? Wow!

Don't put yourself down about the weeds. I've tried to make my gardens look good but it's so hard when going out and within 30 seconds there's either a swarm of black flies, deer flies or horse flies. That, and I'm no good at design which is why all my pics are mostly close ups of the flowers and not the whole area. :laughing: I always envision what I want mentally but never to seem to have the time, energy, or money to achieve it.

Do you have any Echinacea paradoxa - the yellow droopy species type?

EndOfFashion July 6th, 2009 09:31 AM

TQ, that spiky blue one looks like Veronica to me as well (mine is just blooming!). AKA Speedwell.

hazelrunpack July 6th, 2009 09:02 PM

Everything in bloom! :cloud9: I love the color of the rose campion--I wish I were having better luck with the seeds :o [size=1]*sigh*[/size] I'm fascinated with the Cerinthe...hidden blossoms! :D Does that one come in different colors?

14+kitties July 6th, 2009 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=CearaQC;797515]:eek: You already have Rudbeckia and Echinacea in bloom? Wow!

Don't put yourself down about the weeds. I've tried to make my gardens look good but it's so hard when going out and within 30 seconds there's either a swarm of black flies, deer flies or horse flies. That, and I'm no good at design which is why all my pics are mostly close ups of the flowers and not the whole area. :laughing: I always envision what I want mentally but never to seem to have the time, energy, or money to achieve it.

Do you have any Echinacea paradoxa - the yellow droopy species type?[/QUOTE]

No, just the normal varieties. There are lots of different plants I want to start but I have to get my gardens under control first. No new plants till then. :sad: Black flies and such are bad around here too this year. Too much rain I think.

[QUOTE=EndOfFashion;797547]TQ, that spiky blue one looks like Veronica to me as well (mine is just blooming!). AKA Speedwell.[/QUOTE]

Yep, probably right. Thanks :thumbs up

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;797764]Everything in bloom! :cloud9: I love the color of the rose campion--I wish I were having better luck with the seeds :o [size=1]*sigh*[/size] I'm fascinated with the Cerinthe...hidden blossoms! :D Does that one come in different colors?[/QUOTE]

Cerinthe only comes in that colour. It's a neat little plant I found last year. The seed is hard. Like Morning Glory. It was a pleasant surprise to see a few pop their heads up a while back. I will see if I can gather a few for you. Stick them in the garden somewhere and forget about them. I'm good at that. :D
The rose campion - the first year you get little tiny plants. The next year you may be lucky and get flowers but you may have to wait for the year after. Once they are established they can start getting invasive.

hazelrunpack July 6th, 2009 10:41 PM

OK--I do have some tiny little plants where I planted the rose campion, so maybe I'm on the right track after all :thumbs up Do any of them have fuzzy leaves? I have some little plants coming up with fuzzy leaves and I'm not sure if they're weeds, or from the seeds. :o

I'd love to try some Cerinthe seeds! :thankyou:

14+kitties July 7th, 2009 12:52 PM

Yes, rose campion has fuzzy leaves. If you have them you have the rose campion. It just won't be flowering this year. :thumbs up
I will start collecting seeds as soon as the plant starts dropping them. :D

hazelrunpack July 7th, 2009 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;797981]Yes, rose campion has fuzzy leaves. If you have them you have the rose campion. It just won't be flowering this year. :thumbs up
[/QUOTE]
:highfive:

I just checked them again today and the rabbits have let them survive another day! :thumbs up :D

chico2 July 8th, 2009 03:56 PM

14+,wow,your gardens look beautiful,but then you are sort of a proffesional,we don't live that far from each other,but many of mine are not flowering yet:sad:Lots of buds though!
I took a couple of pics of my one garden in the back,will post them now.