Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Took my money & pushed me out the door (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80107)

myfayray February 2nd, 2012 04:26 AM

Took my money & pushed me out the door

Last Sunday I think it was the 1/29/2012,It was like any other morning sitting out side with my 3 cats,when all of sudden Fayray was walk over in to the patio and stop in her tracks & took 2 more steps forward * then took two steps backwards then went under the chair and growled so I went over and she seemed to be in pain,so I picked her up & took her in to the house.seeing how it was Sunday & all the Vets are closed,cant afford emergentice Vet I waited till Monday morning & called the Vet they got me in at 8:30am so we're @ the vets I told vet her semtems limping on the hind leg,not beable to walk or in pain when she walks.so the vet is checking for hip bone out of the socket she said, she felt a little swollen.So the vet says i'd like to take an x-ray,so she takes an x-ray on the left hind leg & it was normale, so then she take one of her pelvic and says theres some buiseing on her spinale cord, I'm like (what) so she points out these dark spots on the x-ray and says she'll be fine & has the vet tec give he a shot for pain,Well the stupid tec go's to giver her the injection and half of the medcation go's all over my cats fur,so the vet tec go out & tells the vet what she done & there looking at me saying she<as in my cat> only got half the dose,if that.and I said you dont know how much she got and you want to inject her with more,I said no way. so they charge me full cost for the shot. well here it is 4 days later and my cat has got'in worse she is now hideing under the table in my room & still not able to stand or walk.what do i do?

Myka February 2nd, 2012 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=myfayray;1033825]so the vet tec go out & tells the vet what she done & there looking at me saying she<as in my cat> only got half the dose,if that.and I said you dont know how much she got and you want to inject her with more,I said no way. so they charge me full cost for the shot. well here it is 4 days later and my cat has got'in worse she is now hideing under the table in my room & still not able to stand or walk.what do i do?[/QUOTE]

Wow, what a story! I think you need to find a new vet. Are there other vets to choose from in your area? If so, use Google to check reviews on the vets. Most decent sized cities have websites with all the vets listed and ratings from clients. Look for something like that, and then pick one out with good reviews.

FWIW, I've found these types of reviews for human doctors and dentists too which I have used to choose doctors and dentists (as well as a new vet) when I moved. The reviews really helped.

14+kitties February 3rd, 2012 09:06 AM

What happened to the cat? Did it fall? Get hit by a car? Someone throw a rock at it? One of the reasons I advocate keeping kitties safe indoors.

Just like with humans, sometimes bruising and pain gets worse before it gets better. Were you concerned with the cat getting more meds or that they would charge you for another shot? What kind of shot was it? You said the vet tech gave half the shot, the rest ended up on your cat so I would assume if they did do another shot it would only have been a half one.

It's true that more care should have been taken by the vet tech while giving the shot but things happen. There should have been two people to hold the cat and inject the shot. But there's no need to look for another vet. Please phone and ask your vet what they suggest. I would think they would be glad to set your mind at rest. Tell them your concerns re: giving more meds and being charged for another shot.

Myka February 3rd, 2012 09:18 AM

14+, the reason I suggest a new vet is because they charged her full price for a botched injection, not because of the mistake. Mistakes happen, but the vet shouldn't have charged her for it. I understand her concern about overdosing the cat because no one knows how much of the pain medication actually went into the cat. I think the OP was smart to not let them guess the dosage for a second injection. Although maybe the cat should have been taken back the next day for a re-injection which I believe the vet should do at no charge.

I have had almost this exact same thing happen (to a dog though), and that's how I was treated. I paid for the first injection, but my dog received the second one at no charge. The vet suggested I pay for the first injection and come back the next day for a free injection of the full strength. He actually gave me a couple pills to use for pain medication at no charge that wouldn't interfere with the injection medication no matter how much of the injection she got so my dog could be comfortable while we waited for the injection the next day. That's just darn good customer service I think! :thumbs up

14+kitties February 3rd, 2012 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=Myka;1033914]14+, the reason I suggest a new vet is because they charged her full price for a botched injection, not because of the mistake. Mistakes happen, but the vet shouldn't have charged her for it. I understand her concern about overdosing the cat because no one knows how much of the pain medication actually went into the cat. I think the OP was smart to not let them guess the dosage for a second injection. Although maybe the cat should have been taken back the next day for a re-injection which I believe the vet should do at no charge.[/QUOTE]

Myka, I'm not going to argue with you about the mistake that was made. It's sort of a moot point. However, if they should not have "guessed the dosage" for the second injection for that day going back the next for another injection could have done as much if not more harm. IF it is the type of pain shot that is so popular with a lot of vets lately it is not one to repeat so quickly.

I believe is the OP would contact the vet either by phone or a visit the vet would likely put the OPs' mind at ease.

Myka February 3rd, 2012 09:27 AM

I wasn't arguing with you, I was clarifying what I said in my first post because I think my first post wasn't clear by what you said after it. :)

As far as a second injection goes, I said "[I]maybe[/I] the cat should go back for a second injection" meaning I don't know if it should have or not. ;)

MaxaLisa February 4th, 2012 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=myfayray;1033825]..... so then she take one of her pelvic and says theres some buiseing on her spinale cord, I'm like (what) so she points out these dark spots on the x-ray and says she'll be fine & has the vet tec give he a shot for pain,....[/QUOTE]

I would get a copy of the rads (most of them are digital now), and have your vets radiologist give a second opinion. This sounds funny to me.

I would also want bloodwork - should have been done before any injection was given, IMO.