Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A few more questions (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23957)

teddybear1003 February 15th, 2006 01:12 PM

A few more questions

Ok, I have Charlie a 10 week old mini dachsund/yorkie mix and still have a few more questions. I've been writing them down as I think of them so I can ask the vet when he goes back but if you could help me that would be great. As far as a feeding schedule, how does that work? Do I just feed him at the same time each day? What if he doesn't eat all the food I give him, do I put it away until next time or just let it stay in his bowl. Can someone give me an example of the type of schedule you had your puppy on. Also a question about puppy pads. We live in an apartment but I take him out to our little yard to go potty about every hour. Sometimes he gets to afraid to go because of kids running around, or other noises and he just wants to bolt for the door. I'm trying to get him use to all these noises, plus he doesn't want to go out in the rain. So I put one of those pads on our covered patio for him to use in those situations. He has only used it once. Am I confusing him? Thanks for all your help.

Lucky Rescue February 15th, 2006 01:32 PM

[QUOTE]Do I just feed him at the same time each day? [/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE]What if he doesn't eat all the food I give him, do I put it away until next time [/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE]I'm trying to get him use to all these noises, plus he doesn't want to go out in the rain. So I put one of those pads on our covered patio for him to use in those situations. He has only used it once. Am I confusing him?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are confusing him. You need to get him used to other people, kids, dogs etc gradually so he'll be well socialized.

jessi76 February 15th, 2006 01:36 PM

congrats on the new pup!

[QUOTE=teddybear1003]As far as a feeding schedule, how does that work? Do I just feed him at the same time each day? What if he doesn't eat all the food I give him, do I put it away until next time or just let it stay in his bowl. Can someone give me an example of the type of schedule you had your puppy on.[/QUOTE]

I dont' have a small dog, so not sure I can help much, but yes, I'd feed the same time each day - you want to develop a routine. If he doesn't eat it all, I'd pick it up. If it can be saved for the next meal, do so. You may want to give less food next time (less waste).

[QUOTE=teddybear1003]Also a question about puppy pads. We live in an apartment but I take him out to our little yard to go potty about every hour. Sometimes he gets to afraid to go because of kids running around, or other noises and he just wants to bolt for the door. I'm trying to get him use to all these noises, plus he doesn't want to go out in the rain. So I put one of those pads on our covered patio for him to use in those situations. He has only used it once. Am I confusing him? Thanks for all your help.[/QUOTE]

Is there a corner of this small yard that is semi-quiet? I'd try to take him to the same area each time - I found it helped if my pup smelled where he went 2 hrs ago - it encouraged him to go again - in that area. (also easier to clean up if it's all in one small area)

I think the pads may confuse him. The key is consistancy. My dog didn't like the rain either, I just made a HUGE deal of it when he did go out in the rain - lots of praise... treats... like it was the best thing in the world. He still hates it, but knows he has to endure it to go to the bathroom.