Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My Boxer just collapsed this morning (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22340)

kiwi December 22nd, 2005 09:29 AM

My Boxer just collapsed this morning

We woke up around 6:30 am and as usual I was walking my Boxer toward the back door for him to go outside to potty. All of sudden he just collapsed lying on the floor with his eyes open but not moving. It really freaked me out and of course I started to cry as I was trying to console him and yet urge him to get back up. It was as if he suffered a mild stroke or something. within about five minutes he was up, very responsive, and within a few more minutes went outside briefly. He returned inside and even ate. I found that during his episode he must have urinated as there was a wet spot on my carpet. I called the Vet at 7:30 am and have an appointment at 2:30 pm today. New member just looking for feedback..............

StaceyB December 22nd, 2005 09:35 AM

You may be right, how old is he?

kiwi December 22nd, 2005 09:47 AM

He is 9 yrs old no real previous problems all check-ups have been good bill of health thus far except he had a tumor removed about 4 yrs ago. Tumors are common among Boxer breeds. I will post again this evening to let everyone know what the Vet says.

thanks, kiwi

StaceyB December 22nd, 2005 09:49 AM

Yes, please do, good luck.

bce360 July 4th, 2006 10:08 PM

my boxer collapsed too

Kiwi hi i just read your post from december. I too had the same problem with my boxer this morning, almost exactly the same thing except I saw him collapse, it was after I was walking in the door, he was overly excited, he collapsed, urinated and a few minutes later completely fine, but a bit shell shocked. I called the vet and they said to just watch his behavior for the day and call if anythin unusual occurs. He seemed fine. May I ask what the final diagnosis and prognosis was for your boxer?

oh my boxer is 2 years old

Inverness July 4th, 2006 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=bce360]Kiwi hi i just read your post from december. I too had the same problem with my boxer this morning, almost exactly the same thing except I saw him collapse, it was after I was walking in the door, he was overly excited, he collapsed, urinated and a few minutes later completely fine, but a bit shell shocked. I called the vet and they said to just watch his behavior for the day and call if anythin unusual occurs. He seemed fine. May I ask what the final diagnosis and prognosis was for your boxer?

oh my boxer is 2 years old[/QUOTE]

The vet didn't ask you to go in and have a blood panel done ? :eek:

Epilepsy must be outruled here, as well as many other things (a tumor, a heart problem, etc.).

LavenderRott July 4th, 2006 10:17 PM

Sounds more like a seizure then a stroke.

glasslass July 5th, 2006 01:28 AM

I would think epilepsy a possibility for the 2yr old. but doubtful for the 9yr old. I too am surprised the vet didn't want to at least do a blood test and listen to his heart.

LavenderRott July 5th, 2006 06:06 PM

Glasslass - I didn't say epilepsy - I said a seizure. The two are not always related.

Bluefunnel July 6th, 2006 09:08 AM

Sudden Collapse of a dog. Any Dog.

:ca:
In the case of the Boxers, a seizure is of course possible. However the vet is the first stop and do get full blood work done which includes a CBC (Blood Count) including platelet numbers. If possible and ultra sound and X Ray would be advisable. There are many cases when their are no outward signs at all and sudden collapse takes place. It may be an internal bleed from a burst tumour and in the case of small bleeds which very often stop as quick as they started, the animal will just get up and carry on. But it will happen again. If you have any doubt get a second opinion . If you are in Canada, contact the veterinary dept at the University of Guelph for advise. There is a reason. somewhere. One thing I notice is missing in the posting, How were his gums, When a dog is in distress the gums will generally, but not always go very pale or even white in serious cases as with my Siberian Husky and this is why we can say, He is very pale, I would also suggest that if an animal COLLAPSES take it without dealy to the vet as it is an Emergency and not a thing that should wait for an appointment. I am not a vet but this has been drilled into me by my vet over the years and I have one that will respond without delay 24/7

Hope this helps a bit , Let us all know the results , its very important to us all, so we can learn too. God Bless and Good Luck.

glasslass July 6th, 2006 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=LavenderRott]Glasslass - I didn't say epilepsy - I said a seizure. The two are not always related.[/QUOTE]

Opps! I jumped to conclusions because I had a poodle that had occasional epileptic seizures. Sorry!:o

LavenderRott July 6th, 2006 11:44 PM

[QUOTE=glasslass]Opps! I jumped to conclusions because I had a poodle that had occasional epileptic seizures. Sorry!:o[/QUOTE]

S'alright. :thumbs up