Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Finally (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35240)

Lukka'sma January 13th, 2007 10:08 AM

Finally

Since I got Lukka in March 06 it has been a constant struggle to find a food that agrees with her. Loose stools abounded with almost everything I fed her. She was always on either pumkin or rice to help firm her up and even so never were her stools firm, somedays just not quite as loose as others. Even when the vet put her on Metronidazole there was little to no change. So once again I changed her food. Yesterday I started her on Innova, the fourth food change since bringing her home. I also cut out the pumpkin or rice additives to see how this food affected her. Today she had a FIRM FORMED stool. I really hope this is the end of my food search and she continues with the poop routine I saw today. One happy mom here. Now for my question. Does anyone add wet food to the kibble to make it more appealing? As long as it is the same brand name is it acceptable to feed?

Scott_B January 13th, 2007 12:40 PM

Congrats! :thumbs up

As for mixing in wet food, I see no problem, but I would maybe wait until you know his stool is normal first.

erykah1310 January 13th, 2007 01:12 PM

YAY for Lukka!!!!:thumbs up

OntarioGreys January 13th, 2007 01:31 PM

I agree stay on the dry for a while, as for canned, the ingredients could be totally different than the dry ingredients, if you are going to try just start with a adding a bit of the canned to test for reactions

~michelle~ January 13th, 2007 01:42 PM

awesome..... i love innova, have had great results with it.... adding tripe is cheap and makes it super appealing

Prin January 13th, 2007 03:56 PM

:highfive:

I'd wait a bit before starting to add things... Let her build up her immune system.

Good luck! :goodvibes: :fingerscr

hazelrunpack January 13th, 2007 04:20 PM

I agree, Lukka'sma...let her adjust to the kibble for a bit before adding anything new. Our 6 eat Innova kibble and don't get tired of it. We mix in plain yogurt now and then to keep their digestion in top form, but that's it... They find it just as tasty after 2 years as they did when we first switched them over :shrug:

PetFriendly January 13th, 2007 08:27 PM

I agree also, for some reason dog don't notice that tonight's dinner is the exact same thing they've been eating for the last year, they dive right in each for each meal like its the newest and greatest ever!

rainbow January 16th, 2007 11:56 PM

Lukka'sma, I also had the same problem with my husky and once we switched to Innova he got solid poops. I also add a little plain organic yogurt with his supper meal. I agree with the others and would not add anything (other than yogurt) for a couple of months.