Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Won't come in house (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5593)

Freyja July 16th, 2004 01:26 AM

Won't come in house

Hi,
I am new to list and new to dog ownership. This is my first ever dog. I have a 10mos Shepherd X female (Lindy) that I got from a shelter two days ago. She was rescued from a reserve and has an unknown history. I don't know if she is housebroken, she will sit, and lie down she is doing not too badly on leash but has started to pull a bit. She has been a bit nippy with us (me and the two kids) which we are working on. When I brought her home yesterday she refused to come in the house. I got her in by pulling but she crawled across the floor and was not happy! She slept outside in her crate last night. Tonight she is in her crate in the garage because of the rain and thunderstorm. I have read that outside dogs are not as well socialized as inside dogs so I don't really want to let her be an outside dog. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jane :confused: :eek:

badger July 16th, 2004 01:37 AM

Not to generalize, but from my own experience (Pacific Northwest) reserve dogs are mainly outside dogs. In some cases this means tied up, ignored, underfed and just plain abused. I'm guessing this dog isn't used to being inside a house, period, and it represents something very scary for him (perhaps the source of previous abuse?). In addition to some careful training, he will need plenty of TLC. Don't give up!

Lucky Rescue July 16th, 2004 09:27 AM

badger is right. This dog was probably never inside a house in her life, and is totally stressed and freaking out right now.

The most important thing for a dog like this is sonsistancy. Everything at the same time ever day. Knowing what is going to happen next will help make her feel more secure.

You are going to have to take this VERY very slowly. Never pull or drag the dog anywhere. She needs to learn to trust you and to feel safe. Let her do things at her own pace. DO NOT soothe or comfort her. She will think that is praise for acting fearful.

She needs to be introduced to ONE person at a time, or will be so overwhelmed she may snap.

One thing that may help is something called Rescue Remedy, which you can get at most health food stores.

Here's a bunch of links with excellent advice on how to handle this dog.
[URL=http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/abuse.htm]Fearful dogs[/URL]

Good luck and let us know how it's going!!

Freyja July 16th, 2004 09:40 AM

In over my head

I am really worried that I am in over my head. I do not have a consistant life.
I am a midwife. There are long stretches where I am home and around and have a normal schedule but then I can get called to a birth and be away anywhere from 3hours to 12 hours. Also, I am in clinic once a week, an all day deal. I have been getting up and walking Lindy in the morning. This morning I did manage to coax her into the house. She sniffed all over and then went right back outside.
I feel terrible but my gut is telling me to take her back to the Humane Society and let someone with more consistancy, more time and more experience take her in. I think I made a big mistake. She really is a lovely dog, I just don't know if this is going to work!! My kids are going to hate me.
Very distressed.
Jane

heidiho July 16th, 2004 09:47 AM

Why is her crate in the garage and not in the house,just curious??

Freyja July 16th, 2004 10:00 AM

She wouldn't come in the house. There was a thunderstorm and I thought she might be too frightened outside.
Jane

heidiho July 16th, 2004 10:06 AM

I feel for you i just got rid of my gsd he was agrressive and sounds funny but he was jealous to,if you can fix it i would try,i got mine when he was 7 weeks ,he was my bud,i miss him terribly,but if you arent gonna keep him the sooner you get rid of him the easier it might be......

Catt31 July 16th, 2004 10:09 AM

Please don't give up on your girl!!! It will take time and patience, and a lot of work, but in the end, it will be worth it! Is there any way you can be home with her for a week or so? I would play with her outside, or just sit there with her, so she knows that you aren't going to hurt her, build trust with her as often as you can. I too have a rescue dog and although he would come in the house, it took some time to get him settled and able to trust us. It's been a lot of work, but to be honest, the people on this site were VERY helpful. And we are still learning!!! So you came to the right spot, just hang in there and do as much research as you can. Trust is the key issue with Lindy right now! Good luck and keep us posted!! :D

Lucky Rescue July 16th, 2004 10:12 AM

I had a foster dog who was TERRIFIED of absolutely everything. It took about a month or so to get her over much of her fears.

It sounds like there is improvement already with your dog! You have only had her TWO days! That is not enough time for even the most well-adjusted and calm dog to get used to a new home and new people.

Please read the links I gave you before making up your mind, to see if you feel the things outlined are something you can do.

Please - at least give her 2 weeks to see if you can handle this.

Shmyst July 16th, 2004 10:33 AM

If I were you I would talk to a good trainer. I don't know where you are, but there is a trainer in Lethbrige, AB that is very good. My friend also got a rescued Sheperd Cross that had been abused and He helped her out alot. Her dog is now very happy and does well with people and other animals.

Bogdans Training - ask for Bogdan [url]www.dogcentre.ca[/url]

glasslass July 16th, 2004 11:05 AM

Just a thought. Is she having to walk across a hard, slippery surface? I've seen many larger dogs who aren't used to the different footing. They'll walk very cautiously and then be so relieved when they get on the carpet and the footing seems more stable to them. I've seen them scramble, slip, and slide because they're so nervous. And welcome! :)

Freyja July 16th, 2004 11:42 AM

Okay, I have calmed down

I talked with some friends and they have calmed me down. I have thought through some of my reasons for getting a dog :companionship, a pet friend for the kids, a reason for me to get more exercise(don't laugh!), I have always had a cat. Dogs are new to me. My last cat was a humane society kitten who died last November at the ripe old age of 19. Some of the reasons for not wanting a dog: the hair, (I just cleaned up from the cat, got new furniture), SO here is my plan:
1.Lindy will be a mainly outside dog,
2.I will give her two walks a day.
3. I will build her a big dog run for when I am not home, it will include the sand box that the kids don't use but she likes to dig in, a grassy area, a pea gravel area and an insulated dog house, plenty of fresh water and shade of a big tree. I like to be outside in the back yard so the spring, summer and fall won't be a problem.
4.I will fix the fence so that she can be off leash in the back yard.
5. In winter and even at other times I am willing for her to be inside but downstairs only. The kids hang out downstairs alot, TV, DVD, Gamecube, playing.
6.I will go to obedience school with her and love her up every chance I get.

If this sounds at all unreasonable please let me know(like that will be a problem on this forum ;) )
Jane

Luba July 16th, 2004 01:19 PM

Poor dog may have been completely an outdoor dog or could have been punished by coming indoors.

You can work with this dog :D no problem! Lindy lets get you turned around girl !

What you'll have to do is reinforce that coming into the house only 'good' things will happen.

So, every day make a trail of treats to the doorway, leave the door open and put the dogs food dish just inside the door. Feed meals this way :D

After a week of feeding this way, start to move the dish further inside the house and adding some yummie treats to it like a boiled egg or a can of sardines.

The dog will come to know that only good things come from inside the home.

Praise the dog, pat the dog speak in happy tones of voice and you will start to notice a turn around.

Why don't you give this a try and see what happens :D
Get some toys and put them near the food dish, a ball and squeaky toy. Try to play a little in the house. Be very very soothing with your voice. NEVER yell at this dog and don't make any fast moves around her, you dont know if she was abused.

Congratulations on the new family member and thank u for saving a rescue :D

Freyja July 16th, 2004 02:23 PM

She came inside!!!

Okay so there are some things happening.
She came inside willingly, went downstairs with the kids, sniffed around, sat on her blanket for a couple of seconds, sniffed around, sat at the bottom of the stairs and then went up with the kids and outside. I have taken her off the teather outside and she seems happier. I will watch her to make sure she doesnt dig her way out at some spot and teather her when I leave her alone for short periods to ensure she doesn't escape.
But she is still nipping and that seems to be getting worse, especially with my unsure 11 yo daughter. She seems to know that my DD is unsure and is walking all over the poor kid. I am afraid that the nipping is dominance behaviour and will only get worse. She has broken skin a couple of times on my and my sons calves.
Thanks for all the help!!
Jane

wAggie July 16th, 2004 10:06 PM

hmm... excellent news about the in-house visit ;)

bad news bout the nipping.... perhaps use a leash on her when she is in the house, so that you can monitor the distance btw her and ur children.

:confused:

Luba July 16th, 2004 10:21 PM

Well there's a great start that is wonderful news!

Your daughter, can start to train this little doggie to know that things are okay. But you should ALWAYS supervise!

Lets learn how to 'sit' first! Use a treat, something really yummie. Let the dog have one so that she knows how 'good' it is. Then teach her how to sit , unless she already knows how to.

Have your daughter get involved, telling the dog to sit. When she sits, fuss her up. OH WHAT A GOOD GIRL and give her a treat. Do this a few times yourself then hand the treat off to your daughter. Let her try it now, let the dog take the order and the treat from her. ;) Ofcourse you MUST be there to supervise.

Freyja July 16th, 2004 10:56 PM

She peed in the house!

Well, it wasn't too bad of a day. Very hot day! I had to leave her a couple of times so I teathered her in the back yard, no problems. Then after her dinner took her for her walk and it was very good, she walked on my left and didn't pull. She is sitting very well, lying down is not too bad and she even does a 5 sec stay. Tonight I was watching a movie downstairs and left the back door open for her to come down. I called her a couple of times and then just went down and left it up to her. Well it took about 15 minutes but she did come down and proceeded to pee on the carpet. So, I sent her outside again and to her pee spot where she lay down and looked at me!!!
Oh well. She will sleep outside again in her crate. I was going to try getting her in to sleep in the crate downstairs, but that may wait 'til tomorrow.
Jane

wAggie July 16th, 2004 11:00 PM

ya, get her to come in and stay in the bsmt.

when she DOES pee in the yard, praise her, call out a command that'll indicate what she's doing.

she's sure to learn that. monitor her behaviour before she goes so u can learn to instigate the command.

ex, when honey whines and jumps at the back door, i ask "honey, go pee-pee?" and off we go. lol.

on occasion, i add "honey, go pee-pee! while she's doing it" :)

Luba July 16th, 2004 11:00 PM

Did u try the food suggestion I gave you yet?

Freyja July 16th, 2004 11:05 PM

Yes to the food suggestion, I gave her a cookie as soon as she came downstairs. I just "put her to bed" outside in the crate. She is whining. Should i move the crate downstairs and hope she will come back in and go in it?
ARGGG

Luba July 16th, 2004 11:17 PM

I'd definitely let her sleep in the house. :D

Thats a great idea, bring her in with some treats.

Is there a reason why you want her in the basement though?

Freyja July 16th, 2004 11:23 PM

It is 30 degrees in here!! It is nice and cool in the basement. She is nervous as hell in the house, she has been in the basement.

wAggie July 16th, 2004 11:25 PM

whatever keeps her in the house, good for you :)

one day, she'll move on up to the bed. ;)

Freyja July 16th, 2004 11:28 PM

This is the post I posted earlier.
You are kidding about the bed right?!?!

[QUOTE=Freyja]I talked with some friends and they have calmed me down. I have thought through some of my reasons for getting a dog :companionship, a pet friend for the kids, a reason for me to get more exercise(don't laugh!), I have always had a cat. Dogs are new to me. My last cat was a humane society kitten who died last November at the ripe old age of 19. Some of the reasons for not wanting a dog: the hair, (I just cleaned up from the cat, got new furniture), SO here is my plan:
1.Lindy will be a mainly outside dog,
2.I will give her two walks a day.
3. I will build her a big dog run for when I am not home, it will include the sand box that the kids don't use but she likes to dig in, a grassy area, a pea gravel area and an insulated dog house, plenty of fresh water and shade of a big tree. I like to be outside in the back yard so the spring, summer and fall won't be a problem.
4.I will fix the fence so that she can be off leash in the back yard.
5. In winter and even at other times I am willing for her to be inside but downstairs only. The kids hang out downstairs alot, TV, DVD, Gamecube, playing.
6.I will go to obedience school with her and love her up every chance I get.

If this sounds at all unreasonable please let me know(like that will be a problem on this forum ;) )
Jane[/QUOTE]

Luba July 16th, 2004 11:39 PM

Freyja

I know you want her in the basement but I"m just trying to understand why?

It's great what you've done so far, truly I admire your rescuing this dog.

The problem with 'keeping' the dog in the basement is that the dog will still be separated from the 'pack' being you and your family.

It is going to be a battle to say the least and you'll probably have a couple of sleepless nights.

The dog won't really understand that it's 'cooler' down there so thats why she's there. It's just to her reinforcing that she doesn't belong with this pack.

Can you put the crate upstairs somewhere near a window where a cool breeze could blow in? Say a central area but tucked into a corner so the dog feels some security behind her like a wall?

What do you think she would do if you just let her choose herself where she wanted to sleep in the house, just curious? where would she go? If you put the crate and her bedding in a nice place but left the door open. ??

wAggie July 16th, 2004 11:44 PM

OF course i was kidding about the bed!!

I did read every word of ur post, silly. :p :p

hahahahaha

(hence the wink!)

Freyja July 17th, 2004 09:15 AM

I totally get the whole pack thing. I have read and read and then I went back to the library and read some more. You are right I am hesitant to have this dog in my home. That is why I am feeling I made a bad choice. The cat was 19years old and senile and he started to get dirty. I loved him very much and it was hard to always have to be cleaning up after him. Then he got much much worse and I held him and cried while I let him gently go from this world.
So for the past 8 months my home has been mine again, clean(for the most part ;) ), pet hair free and my furniture has not been scratched up. Can I train this dog to not wreck my stuff, probably, but what is going to happen from point A to the desired point B? That is my fear and concern. So, can she be down stairs where the crappy furniture is and only upstairs supervised until she proves herself trustworthy?
Jane

Luba July 17th, 2004 09:29 AM

Well first of all let me say, thank you for your honesty!

Definitely supervise the dogs behaviour while in your home but be careful not to shout and scare the dog. Any unwanted behaviour you can redirect by getting some toys, balls, stuffed animals with no eyes or noses on them, squeaky toys, rope toys and such.

It's wonderful that you are reaching out this way and trying to solve the situation by getting advise rather then just returning her to the shelter. So many people aren't willing to try, and these dogs DESERVE their best shot at it!

Let her explore the house though, let her on her own (while you're watching from a distance) walk around and check things out. Put her water dish somewhere that she can get at easily without any effort and show it to her.
Put a bed somewhere that she can lay down on, show it to her and give her a treat when she lays on it.

I'm sure you're going to have days where you may just wanna pull your hair out BUT with dedication and positive reinforcement things will work out.

As for the pet hair, get some dog brushes my friend and get to work by introducing them to her and rewarding her for letting you brush her. I'd suggest you do this part outside though ;)

Brushing backwards from the rump, the reverse way of the direction of hair growth will get out the fur trapped underneath the top coat.

You may want to take her after she settles in a little bit to a groomer for a good bath, groom and nail clipping.

I always recommend everyone tell their groomer to put cotton balls in the dogs ears. Prevents soap catching there and causing ear aches and infection :D

glasslass July 17th, 2004 10:03 AM

I once saw a Great Dane that made a great housedog. We were visiting in the livingroom and this huge dog came quietly in and lay down on a throw rug. Then it did a sort of slink/belly crawl (staying at the same level as the coffee table) to another throw rug to another until he was real close. He just wanted to be part of the group, but was very aware of his size. It was so cute watching this huge dog trying to be small. Best part of the whole visit!

Get to know the dog on a personal level. It will really make the effort much less of a chore and it will be a great experience for the whole family. Half the battle when you first start is the determination to make it work.

When you're old, it's the love and friendships that will mean the most and that will forever remain with you. The furniture will probably be out-of-date, worn out and replaced several times. I can't remember what kind of couch we had growing up, but I do remember, fondly, our household pets.

Catt31 July 17th, 2004 02:51 PM

Hey Jane, welcome to the board. I just noticed you are in Calgary...me too!!

A GREAT place to go for help and advice in regards to dog supplies and such is called "Fairplay"..the people there are VERY knowledgeable and helpful!! Get a soft bristled brush (hair, not rubber) first before you try a rake. Brick doesn't care much for the rake, and it is really only good for shedding time. He loves his soft brush, and at first, we only brushed for a few min. at a time...now he loves it!!!

Also, I have the name of a wonderful dog training lady, who comes to your home for 3 visits, 2 hours each, at your convenience, and will discuss and train to what Lindy needs. On the last visit, she brings her dogs so yours will get some socialization. We are on visit #2 next week...she is very calm and gentle with my dog, and we've learned a lot!! I too have a rescue dog!!

If you want more info, pm me and I'll do what I can to help you out!!! I'm off work for the summer (I'm a teacher) so I have some spare time too, if you'd like an extra set of hands for brushing or walking (or whatever)!! :D

We'll get this girl of yours trained and friendly in no time!! Luba's advice about not shouting or getting angry is VERY important, especially since you don't know what her previous life was like. Be patient and gentle and she WILL come around!!! Guaranteed!!! Good luck and let me know if you need anything!! :D :D