Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rug burn on nose? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81234)

067734m June 1st, 2012 10:37 AM

Rug burn on nose?

Hi Forum,

Can I get some input on this behavior?...

New dog, 3 yr old male, neutered, yellow (Dudley lab? Lab mix) sometimes has a rug burn on the top of his nose; right where fur ends and nose begins. I've only seen him get it once (I don't think he knew I was watching). He was nosing around a blanket that was crumpled on the floor. It looked like he was smelling something at first, but then he bowed his head and made large sweeps, running the top of his nose along the carpet. This resulted in a rug burn that even bled a little! I've never seen him do it since, but sometimes I'll notice the rug burn on his nose is raw again. What's up with that??!

It's not a major cut, just a little rub - but what's going on here?? Is this a behavioral thing, or just a weird character?

Marty11 June 1st, 2012 11:13 AM

He was fluffing up his bed! :thumbs up

Dog Dancer June 1st, 2012 12:01 PM

My last dog used to try to push her bed around all the time and got the same thing. The bed was not going to be flipped no matter how hard she tried. Her and our other dog frequently push around the carpets they have in the living room to bunch them up to lay on or something. They use their noses all the time, but since those carpets move they don't get the burn. Maybe try giving your pup a small throw carpet that he can push around.

067734m June 1st, 2012 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1040937]My last dog used to try to push her bed around all the time and got the same thing. The bed was not going to be flipped no matter how hard she tried. Her and our other dog frequently push around the carpets they have in the living room to bunch them up to lay on or something. They use their noses all the time, but since those carpets move they don't get the burn. Maybe try giving your pup a small throw carpet that he can push around.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... So you're saying he just may want something flat to push around? That's a new idea... I've never seen him try to push his bed anywhere. He usually just gets in there and flops down. He also has a few bones, balls and soft toys - which he prefers to chew - HEAVILY. Our carpets are wall-to-wall...

Barkingdog June 1st, 2012 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=Marty11;1040934]He was fluffing up his bed! :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Marty does that all the time with the blankets on my bed, or couch he will fluff them up by using his head and paws and when he get the blanket to his likely he flops onto the blankets. My last dog did this too. I think it very funny to watch .

Do have a dog name Marty too?

Kasianni June 1st, 2012 04:16 PM

Both my dogs do that with the blankets too, try to bunch them up so it more comfortable?! :)
Is it possible he pee'd on the blanket?? Maybe he was trying to cover it up? I always leave pee pads down at night time in case they have to pee at 3 am. Whenever Mika does a pee, she will do large sweeps on the pad with her nose to cover it up.

Barkingdog June 1st, 2012 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=Kasianni;1040956]Both my dogs do that with the blankets too, try to bunch them up so it more comfortable?! :)
Is it possible he pee'd on the blanket?? Maybe he was trying to cover it up? I always leave pee pads down at night time in case they have to pee at 3 am. Whenever Mika does a pee, she will do large sweeps on the pad with her nose to cover it up.[/QUOTE]

My last dog would 'bury' his cookies in his blanket to save for later on.
I bet your dog did not want to lies on a wet blanket and was trying to find a dry spot. I loves how dog uses their noses to move things around.
My dog peed in my bed and at the foot of my bed once. I thought he has gotten better about not peeing in the house when I first brought him home from the shelter. I had no idea why he peed in my bed until I saw there was a male dog next door visiting and he was peeing around the yard. Marty was marking his territory which happen to be my bed . Marty peed on my pants leg at soon as he saw me at shelter. I was with my daughter and my grandchild at the time . I guess he was marking me as his territory then.

067734m June 8th, 2012 11:35 AM

Thanks for the interesting contributions!

Comfort: I don't think it's about comfort, as our dog doesn't spend much time 'fluffing up' his bed.

Peeing: It's definitely NOT a peeing thing. Our guy rarely (if ever) has accidents in the house and is very particular on when/where he does his business outside.

Pushing: My husband said that one day he saw him in the spare bathroom nosing around the bath mats. However, he's not *pushing* the carpets, not edging them along - It's a very dramatic sweep of his head, resulting in a rub on the *top* of his nose.

I don't get it!:clown: I guess I could try giving him an old spare blanket, or piece of carpet, but he would still be getting a rub on the top of his nose! I guess I'll just chalk it up to a personality quirk and hope this is the extent of it!

Jim Hall June 8th, 2012 11:44 AM

lol its a lab they are all crazy :thumbs up:wall:

Dog Dancer June 8th, 2012 01:44 PM

Yup, I'm with Jim. My carpet pusher (Halo) is a lab. Her favourite as I said is just a little throw carpet kinda thing (maybe it was originally a bath matt??). I had a couple on the living room carpet for the dogs to sorta give them a spot that was officially theirs, although they could go anywhere, they liked to have the little carpet spot. But the lab pushes hers all over the place. Full head sweeps and she doesn't get a burn on her nose with this. Sometimes she settles down and sleeps on the lump othertimes she just walks away once she's made a mess of it.:D

067734m June 12th, 2012 11:58 AM

:clown: Haha. What funny behavior. Didn't know that could be *another* "lab thing". He does lie down in some weird places - yesterday I put a hand towel on the hardwood floor to where I usually put their food bowls. 5 minutes later this guy had gone over and tried to lie on the hand towel. It looked so funny because the towel is so small! Haha. Guess I better supply more towels and rug pieces for him.
Thanks all.

Barkingdog June 12th, 2012 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=067734m;1041289]Thanks for the interesting contributions!

Comfort: I don't think it's about comfort, as our dog doesn't spend much time 'fluffing up' his bed.

Peeing: It's definitely NOT a peeing thing. Our guy rarely (if ever) has accidents in the house and is very particular on when/where he does his business outside.

Pushing: My husband said that one day he saw him in the spare bathroom nosing around the bath mats. However, he's not *pushing* the carpets, not edging them along - It's a very dramatic sweep of his head, resulting in a rub on the *top* of his nose.

I don't get it!:clown: I guess I could try giving him an old spare blanket, or piece of carpet, but he would still be getting a rub on the top of his nose! I guess I'll just chalk it up to a personality quirk and hope this is the extent of it![/QUOTE]

My poodle mix does that use made very dramatic sweep of his head when trying to made the blanket fluffed up. I don't think this is a lab thing . My Standard Poodle did this too.