Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Puppy health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Upset stomach in 6 week old pup (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81837)

FlamesGirl August 9th, 2012 04:51 PM

Upset stomach in 6 week old pup

I have a six week old pup (foster) that I've only had for two days. Today she woke up, ate her breakfast - which was a little more volume than I'd given her the day before - and then she threw up some of her breakfast 4 hours later, right before her next meal. I didn't give her lunch due to the vomit. She's also had 2 runny poops since lunch. Hasn't drank much water either.

She hasn't thrown up since and seems peppy and normal enough when she's not sleeping. She is sleeping a little more than yesterday, but after only having her for less than 48 hours I'm not sure what's 'normal' for her or not.

Any thoughts? She's napping now and I'm going to bring her up and offer her water.

ETA: She woke up and threw up again in her crate. Isn't interested in water. Am now calling vet.

Barkingdog August 9th, 2012 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=FlamesGirl;1044170]I have a six week old pup (foster) that I've only had for two days. Today she woke up, ate her breakfast - which was a little more volume than I'd given her the day before - and then she threw up some of her breakfast 4 hours later, right before her next meal. I didn't give her lunch due to the vomit. She's also had 2 runny poops since lunch. Hasn't drank much water either.

She hasn't thrown up since and seems peppy and normal enough when she's not sleeping. She is sleeping a little more than yesterday, but after only having her for less than 48 hours I'm not sure what's 'normal' for her or not.

Any thoughts? She's napping now and I'm going to bring her up and offer her water.

ETA: She woke up and threw up again in her crate. Isn't interested in water. Am now calling vet.[/QUOTE]

I would get the puppy to the vet right away .She may need to have an IV as she is not drinking and had runny poop. It does not sound good, did you call place you got the puppy from to see if any of the other puppies are sick or if the mother is sick?

FlamesGirl August 22nd, 2012 02:09 PM

An update to this: got in touch with the rescue coordinator and took pup to the vet. Suspected parvo, as there'd been a pup with parvo in the same shelter (isolated, but still). Luckily she came up clean for parvo but 3 days later one of her littermates died from distemper.

Never did figure out what caused my pup to be sick, but after a week on meds she perked up and was back to her normal self. No signs of distemper either, thank goodness.

Dog Dancer August 22nd, 2012 04:42 PM

Glad to hear that your pup seems to be on the mend. So sorry to hear about the others.

hazelrunpack August 22nd, 2012 11:27 PM

Glad she's feeling better :goodvibes: