Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Another Question for my Sam (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24751)

suebruce March 13th, 2006 09:34 AM

Another Question for my Sam

Hi everyone... I have yet another question with respect to my little guy Sam....A friend of ours lent us their crate to use for Sam until we could discuss with the vet what size we thought Sam might grow to... with the cross of coonhound and boxer... there was a bit of a spread and someone suggested our vet might make a "best guess" ... our friends crate was the smaller variety which we knew would not fit Sam for long... so I went out this weekend and got a much bigger variety that will fit him very well (up to 70lb) the problem is... with the smaller crate... I could easily move it to my sons bedroom where Sam has been sleeping at night and then move it downstairs where my husband would put him when he left for work.

The new crate is quite massive so not exactly something we can haul up and down the stairs... my husband suggested we put it in our son's room and that when my husband went to work he would just put Sam in the kennell up in my sons room at that time as well. To me it sounds like it might work... although does anyone have any insight on this? I guess if there is no harm done it would save me buying a third crate. (already have a second one for the vehicle)

Please share your thoughts and opinions on this one.

tenderfoot March 13th, 2006 12:15 PM

My first question is how much time is he spending in the crate in a 24 hr time frame? Could be too much.
Next question is how old is your son? If he is old enough to hear the puppy whine at night and understand that he needs to go out, and be willing to get up and take him out?. If he is too young (or too much of a teenager) to get up then the pup should be in your room at night. When the dog gets older then it would be okay to move him back into your sons room - but until then you are asking a puppy to be responsible for another puppy.
Having a crate in the main room can be handy for training, but not mandatory. I am just really concerned that this pup is spending too much time in the crate day and night. Can he sleep in your bed with you? Is he getting a break in the middle of the day to go potty? Is he getting lots of play time when you get home? Is he getting socialization with other dogs and people?

jessi76 March 13th, 2006 12:42 PM

I acquired a LARGE crate (to use as a main crate for daytime) - luckily though, I got this 2nd hand, and only paid $50 for it (still in GREAT condition).

I realized, we too, needed a 2nd crate for the bedroom, and was not about to haul that huge crate up my narrow steep stairs, so I got a collapsable one. I believe I paid around $70 for it (holds dogs up to 70lbs), but the nice thing is, it sort of just POPS up (don't have to put anything together), and folds down really fast - even comes with a handle to hook on, and a divider, so our pup could "grow into" it. (it's lightweight too - I had no problem carrying it or setting it up in 3 seconds)

We use the portable/collapsable one for our bedroom, and if we need to travel, that's the one that goes with us. (I got it at PetCo - it's black wire)

maybe check want-ads, local paper, any postings at your local vets for 2nd hand crates, (maybe even eBay) or purchase a collapsable one (more easily movable)

suebruce March 13th, 2006 01:31 PM

Sam doesn't have to spend too much time in Crate

Hi ... just to clarify.. my son is 11 years old... and lets Sam outside as soon as he (sam) wakes up in the morning.... Their room (my son and Sam's) is beside mine... so if Sam wakes up in the night... I get up and take him outside... so he is ok on that front. During the day.. . he is always with someone and not in the crate except fro 1:45 PM - 3:45... (2 hours)

We know he shouldn't be in his crate too much.. and we are trying to minimize it... its just that we wondered if it mattered if we put him in a crate in the bedroom even though it's daytime... I know it seems silly but really if it makes any difference at all I would like to know.

Thanks for the input Tenderfoot and Jessie... maybe this information I have added helps?

suebruce March 13th, 2006 01:36 PM

Sorry, I forgot to answer your other questions tenderfoot

Quote: "Having a crate in the main room can be handy for training, but not mandatory. I am just really concerned that this pup is spending too much time in the crate day and night. Can he sleep in your bed with you? Is he getting a break in the middle of the day to go potty? Is he getting lots of play time when you get home? Is he getting socialization with other dogs and people?"

to answer your other questions Tenderfoot... I have insomnia so it is better if he doesn't sleep directly with me or I will be up 24 /7 that's why we had to move him into Matthew's room.. I can still hear him if he whines... but not all his snoring and snorting... :)

He does get lots of play time as he is with my husband all day and then myself and the kids all night... he goes to bed at 10:00 pm and is usually up around 6:45Am although he seem to go 3 nights through and then wakes up one around 4:30 - 5:00 am which is when I get up and take him out.

He socializes with some dogs at his puppy class and as well our nieghbors dogs so far and of course the nieghbours have all been over to visit and let him meet them.

jessi76 March 13th, 2006 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=suebruce]During the day.. . he is always with someone and not in the crate except fro 1:45 PM - 3:45... (2 hours)

We know he shouldn't be in his crate too much.. and we are trying to minimize it... its just that we wondered if it mattered if we put him in a crate in the bedroom even though it's daytime... I know it seems silly but really if it makes any difference at all I would like to know.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it makes a bit of difference, the crate is SAM'S "room" or "den", no matter where it happens to be.

tenderfoot March 13th, 2006 01:49 PM

Sounds like you are doing a great job. No worries. He does not need a separate crate in the main part of the house.