Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Cali has just a fews day left! (Help) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13545)

aussiemedogs March 29th, 2005 06:33 PM

Cali has just a fews day left! (Help)

I rec'd a phone call last night, they are ready to send Calin the Calico to the SPCA, if there is anyone in the Montreal area that can foster or wants to adopt Cali please let me know.

I would hate to see anything bad happen to this cat, she is so beautiful!
Thanks

Lucky Rescue March 29th, 2005 06:46 PM

I hope these people know they will be sending her to die alone and terrified among strangers, but I guess they don't give a damn. This is really disgusting....

I'm sending you a PM.

aussiemedogs March 29th, 2005 07:44 PM

Cali

LR, they do give a damn, they took this cat in off the streets with her 4 kittens 2 years ago, and found good homes for them all !This is a retired couple who are going to move to NB to be with their grandchildren. (the grandchildren are extremely allergic).

Sometimes you have to sacrifice things, and in their case it is the cat for their grandchildren. They have tried for over a month to find this girl a home with no luck.

I personally commend them for taking in mom and her kittys and not sending them to the SPCA.

CyberKitten March 29th, 2005 07:56 PM

Are they really that allergic tho? Don't jump down my throat but I get so upset every time I hear that excuse. I am a pediatrician and I can tell you there aer few allergies that require one actually givng up a cat. I have patients with immunocompromised systems wdue to leukemia and AIDS and aplastic anemia. They would NEVER part with their cats or dogs or bunnies even though any close interaction with these animals is 10 times the worst allergy. So I have little sympathy for that argument.

I am also huffed at the blame the doctor thing to be frank - or rather use "the doctor said". Doctors are pushed all the time to so just that - they do not really want to. Sometimes the parents want to get rid of the animal and exaggerate the symptoms.

I am not saying people do not have severe allergies. Children do and some of them even have asthma. But this is not life threatening and there are medications and many thing that can be done.

Severe in my biz is dying! Anything else is small stuff. Sorry but that's been the kind of day I've had. I can't believe someone will let a cat go to die because of an allergy!

aussiemedogs March 29th, 2005 08:11 PM

Cali

They don't want the cat to die, and as for how severe the allergies are, as far as I am concerned thats not my bussiness. I don't and won't even ask that. When someone has decided to give up a pet and asks for help I try to give it. You will not change most peoples minds once they have decided.

I for one am asthmatic, I use 2 different puffers daily, I overuse so that I can breathe and yes I am very allergic to my cats and most dogs. I know my health would be better without them, but I won't part with them.

Not everyone is me! And when you have a young child that suffers from this watching them gasp for air is enough to frighten most parents.

I just want to find the cat a home thats all.

Thanks

canine14 March 29th, 2005 10:55 PM

I'll try to help

If the situation is really that desperate, pls. email me at [email]harryis21@yahoo.com[/email] and I will see if I can help find a place for her through my vet. I cannot foster at this time as I have only enough space for a truly special-needs cat.

Lisa.

CyberKitten March 29th, 2005 11:00 PM

I too have asthma aussie (COPD actually) and have to use oxygen occasionally - I know all about that. That is where a severe allergy goes. BUT I adopted a cat - will she hurt my health. Not likely! More than likley, she helps me - and my patients! With her antics, her cuteness in a bleak day. There are many steps one can take to reduce dander and to to over ome allergies.

I was not being critical of you nor of them personally but one of the top reasons people bring in pets to shelters is allergies so people are a little questioning about that excuse now. I know it is extreme but many SPCA's kill pets in a short period of time. (There are some notable exceptions).

I hope the cat finds a home.

Britishvixen21 March 30th, 2005 09:34 AM

I really want to take cali forever, but I have no way of getting to Montreal to get her!!! If anyone is travelling from Montreal even remotely near Toronto I can take her!!!

honeybee4 March 30th, 2005 09:47 AM

I have to agree with Cyber, my kids both have asthma and at one time I did think that my daughter was allergic to cats and she maybe, as my sister had three cats and everytime we when to visit her she would start sneezing and her eyes would get red and puffy. We recently adopted a cat, last november, and my daughter is fine around him, and we just took in his brother as well and she still has not had a problem with either or them. I keep the fur cleaned up around the house by using a swiffer duster and dry cloth. She does start to sneeze every once in awhile if I don't do this every couple days. But I give her some clariton and she is fine after that. I believe it bothered her some much at my sisters because she didn't clean up the fur that was everywhere. We would leave her house and be completely covered in fur. But it is the owners dicision about what they want to do with their cat, but there are ways to keep the pets as well even if there are people in the home that have asthma and allergies.

badger March 30th, 2005 10:12 AM

Vixen, you should post a request on the transportation thread. And I think someone mentioned an animal transportation thread on Yahoo?

mesaana March 30th, 2005 10:14 AM

Goldengirl is going to TO in a week. She might be able to help :)

Lyne

Lucky Rescue March 30th, 2005 11:17 AM

Between all of us I know we can save this girl!!

Does anyone have Aussie's email addy? I really need it!

maddoxies March 30th, 2005 11:49 AM

I sent her a pm, hopefully she will check in soon

BMDLuver March 30th, 2005 11:54 AM

will call

I'll call her when she gets home from work. She'll be in the door soon.

Lise March 30th, 2005 11:56 AM

I can keep Cali for a week or two if someone is going to Toronto,let me know if I can help

Britishvixen21 March 30th, 2005 01:15 PM

I can take her if someone can get her to Toronto, im going to post on the transportation thread.

Britishvixen21 March 30th, 2005 01:27 PM

I have spoken to Golden Girl, she can bring her to me on April 9th can you hold her until then????

BMDLuver March 30th, 2005 01:29 PM

k

Aussiemedogs knows that Britishvixen will take the cat. Goldengirl knows how to contact her. They will make arrangements and advise all involved parties. :)

mesaana March 30th, 2005 01:32 PM

Yay!!! :) I love it when it works out!

Britishvixen21 March 30th, 2005 01:35 PM

I can finally tell Mya shes got a little sister comming!!! I hope Cali can teach Mya that chewing her toys isnt fruitful!!! LOL :D
Thank you for all your help in making this possible.

BMDLuver March 30th, 2005 01:37 PM

lol

[QUOTE=mesaana]Yay!!! :) I love it when it works out![/QUOTE]
It got kind of complicated there but I think it will now iron itself out. I think there's another cat that needs help as well though. Have to check with aussiemedogs if she got that one set up as well.

And remind me never to call someone as I think now I will be fostering a bunny and my dh is going to murder me, lol :eek: For every one ya fix, there's a ton more waiting..

Lucky Rescue March 30th, 2005 01:51 PM

BritishVixen, I'm sending you a PM!!

amber416 March 30th, 2005 02:56 PM

yay brittishvixen!! Cali is so beautiful and judging by how hard you've been working with Mya, she is going to have a great new home, she's a lucky girl! Good luck with introducing Mya to her new sister!

CyberKitten March 30th, 2005 03:15 PM

Congratulations to all for helping this little girl and to BritishVixen for becoming a new meomy!

Britishvixen21 March 30th, 2005 03:23 PM

:thumbs up
*blushes* THank you very much for the encouragement guys! I hope she likes us as much as we like her already :D

chico2 March 30th, 2005 05:12 PM

I was sooo happy to read,Cali will get another home...all of you involved are the tops :love: just amazing :thumbs up
BV,I hope you realize,Mya is not going to love Cali right off the bat,it will be stressful and difficult in the beginning.....but I am sure Lucky will give you some pointers.

Britishvixen21 March 31st, 2005 10:08 AM

Yes I read the article that LR sent me, and printed it off and took it home (FYI we started sleeping on the blanket last night and got it nice and sweaty with our scents because it was boiling in our apartment last night) the good thing is, is that hb works from 4pm and I get home at 6pm so thats only two hours alone. if they are really not getting along in the first little bit I can put one or the other in seperate rooms until I get in. My only concern is that since Mya has become a better behaved Cat she does demand a lot of my attention and I just hope that she can share my time. However the person I got her from did have another cat and she said that Mya was always trying to play with the other cat who was older and didnt want to play. Im hoping that eventually Mya will see a playmate in Cali. I have to go to the pet store this weekend and get some more supplies. Mya has never taken to her bed preffering to lay all along the couch, so im going to get a bigger bed for Cali and introduce it straight away and hope that maybe in time they will both sleep in in (I saw a great one in zellers thats like a little cozy hut!) ANy other suggestions are greatly appreciated? :grouphug:
Thank you everyone for making this possible.

chico2 March 31st, 2005 11:03 AM

BV,I missed somehow the info about Calis age...it seems you are well prepared to take her in as yours and I am really happy for Cali :thumbs up
Even though it might be rough in the beginning,I am sure eventually they'll be friends,or at least accept each others presence,the way my Chico kind of accepts Vinnie as long as he does not get too close :D
Anyway,you have lots of people here to support and help you.. :love:

Britishvixen21 March 31st, 2005 11:41 AM

Shes around 2 I believe and a mommy to boot. Im really hoping that they will get along as the main reason we have been looking for another kitty is to keep her company and a playfreind for her. I think Mya is a freindly enough cat (even if she is a complete premadonna SP?) I have these fuzzy images of finding them curled up in bed together when I get home and seeing them play ball together in the sunshine of the balcony LMFAO im hoping they come true!!! The only thing im not looking forward to is double the bloody hair il have to vacuum and double the poop to scoop!!!
Oh Aussie, maybe you could pm me and tell me what food shes currently eating so that I know to stock up? and what toys shes inclined to play with?

Lucky Rescue March 31st, 2005 01:31 PM

I believe Cali is 4 years old, and was found 2 years ago.